PDA

View Full Version : Some good browser add-ons (Firefox, IE and Flock).

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi,

For those who may be interested, here are 3 good add-ons, 2 for Firefox. (1 for IE and Flock).

WOT (Web Of Trust - Firefox), - 'is a free Internet security addon for your browser', (like McAfee Site Advisor),

'It will keep you safe from online scams, identity theft, spyware, spam, viruses and unreliable shopping sites. WOT warns you before you interact with a risky website. It's easy and it's free.'

https://www.mywot.com/

and

NoScript (Firefox)

'You can enable JavaScript, Java and plugin execution for sites you trust with a simple left-click on the NoScript status bar icon), or using the contextual menu, for easier operation in popup statusbar-less windows.'

Sites that you don't trust, cannot execute scripts.

http://noscript.net/

also

KeyScrambler

'KeyScrambler Personal is a browser add-on. It protects all your inputs against known and unknown keyloggers in IE, Firefox, and Flock: your login credentials, credit card numbers, passwords, search terms, Java, Flash, PDF Forms, web email, and more.'

http://www.qfxsoftware.com/

I have found these add-ons quite excellent, epecially KeyScrambler, as for my previous keylogging problem, so I don't have to worry about that any more.

Regards,

AntiVirMan

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, the thing is why is there a need for something like keyscrambler in the first place?? Unless you've got something to hide, you dont keep your system up to date. You've got some kind of malware on your system. Normally, you wouldnt need something like this, for any browser / system.

Get too may programs like this, and they'll fight with each other, trying to protect you. The same thing will happen if you install too many AV programs, or too many firewalls. They'll clash with each other in the end, and you'll either crash, or get infected. Then you'll have something else to worry about

zqwerty
20-07-2009, 01:10 PM
REPORTED FOR SPAMMING

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi SG,

No, I don't have anything to hide, but yes, I do have a kelyogger on my system. as I mentioned here before, which you responded to.

So if you had a keylogger on your system, would you think it was cool and just leave it there, even if you didn't have anything to hide?

I wouldn't, and don't know anybody else who would think that was okay, who knows who may be accesing what you type?!

I'm just thankful that the keystrokes I now type are:

A - being blocked by SafeSpace
B - being scrambled by KeyScrambler

I do take your point though, about having too many of the same sort of apps like this on my system, and so long as certain apps can work in a stand-alone fashion, without clashing with each other, then that's fine.

In fact, to be honest, the KeyScrambler and SafeSpace, do clash slightly,
but the effect of this is, that far less keystrokes are now being recorded,
than before I installed this app.

I can disable SafeSpace and then the keystrokes do get encrypted if I want.

I think it's good to have this sort of thing 'if' you need it and it's nothing to do with my wanting to hide anything, but more of my choice in wanting to keep personal details private!

Regards,

AntiVirMan

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Spamming?

I had absolutely no intention to spam here, I was following up on a previous thread about keylogging!

If the admins classify this as spam, then I apologise, I thought it was maybe useful to others who may be in a similar postion as myself with a keylogger on their PC.

Regards,

AVM

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Well you dont actually KNOW that you've got a keylogger, youre assuming.

Nothing you posted in the log the other day tells us anything (saying you have 1). Only other thing it maybe is a rootkit, which can hide.And part of it can run in task manager (till you kill it). So, I found out the other week, when I fixed someones PC in the US, who had a trojan and rootkit. The file / process for it ran on startup, and ran in task manager. But didnt show up in a hijackthis log.

I had to kill the process, delete its file, delete its entry in startup, then trojan remover detected it / removed the rest of it. And spybot / other antimalware programs, removed some more.

Depends what site/s you go to. If its something like facebook, or whatever, I doubt it'll be safe (even if you leave it).

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Speedy,

I am certain that I posted this following link here the other day!

Just after you asked me 'how I knew I have a keylogger', and you also said you could maybe take a look at the processes, running on my PC,
I set up this page, just to show you the details of these things,
as I posted here, some days ago.

http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/xx184/EyeSeeIt/

The keylogging was normally much higher than that, but I was just trying to get it done quickly.

Evidence of the keylogging activity, plus the processes running on my PC.

Regards,

AVM

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Yup, like I said numbers mean nothing to me. And the processes running in that pic, look alright to me. Dont want so many processes running uninstall some programs (16 of them belong to Mcafee)

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Good to see you don't see any malicious looking processes running there!

Numbers may mean nothing, but at least it shows how I know the strokes are being recorded.

Can't really help it about the amount of processes there.

Before I had McAfee, I first used:

Avast
AVG
Comodo
Avira - Picked up on things that Avast and AVG missed

and then

McAfee

as it came, bundled as part of my web connection setup.

I like it mainly because of the other stuff it does, apart from the anti-virus.

Think I'll use this for the moment, together with those online virus scanners, which I now have 5 to choose from.

Regards,

AVM

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Well programs (or windows) probably communicate one way or the other (if youre connected to the net). Get off the net then see what happens. Bet you wont see, what youre seeing now

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 04:15 PM
You are right there, as the only time I do see the counter clocking up, is when online.

Regards,

AVM

Agent_24
20-07-2009, 07:02 PM
If you did get a keylogger without knowing, it might be a week before the keylogger is added to your Antivirus defintion files and then detected by it (if you're using a typical antivirus program)

During that time, Keyscrambler would prevent anything of value being stolen

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Agent 24

Thanks for the reply,

This thing wasn't picked up by anti-virus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, nor SuperAntiSpyware.

I think it's okay now though, as

1 The keystrokes are blocked by another app and
2 They are now encrypted as well, so I think that's an end to it.

Regards,

AntiVirMan

Jen
20-07-2009, 07:47 PM
No, I don't have anything to hide, but yes, I do have a kelyogger on my system. as I mentioned here before, which you responded to.

So if you had a keylogger on your system, would you think it was cool and just leave it there, even if you didn't have anything to hide?You do realise you have unanswered questions on your thread here (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=101520). If you post the logs like you have been asked to, you can get help to have any malware removed. People have gone out of their way to help you, so please respect their time and experience. This way, you will know for sure whether you actually do have a keylogger or if you have mistaken a normal process for a keylogger.

I see you are making duplicate threads on the mcafeehelp forums and haven't completed their requests either.

If you don't want help from us, then I suggest you reformat Windows and get a fresh start for your OS. Installing additional programs to cover a suspected infection is not the answer.

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi Jen,

i've just this moment tried to end that one thread you are referring to about the HJT log, by saying I consider the matter now closed, to both Pancake and Speedy Gonzales.

I'm still finding my way around here, and it would be cool if there was a ' show all threads or posts' feature here, then I wouldn't get confused, by looking for posts I'd made.

Sorry, but I'm not on the PC all the time, and do get around to answering all replies to my posts. At any forum I go to.

I know what it's like when people don't reply to advice you give them, as it does happen to me occasionally.

Regards,

AntiVirMAn

AntiVirMan
20-07-2009, 08:24 PM
PS: I have just been to the McAfee forum and after having a very good look around there, there are no posts I have made there, which should be replied to. If you could find one I'd be very surprised, because, the reason I came here in the first place was because they do not analyze HJT logs at that forum, meaning my query in that respect was actually closed there before I even came here. Did you open any of the threads there at all?, because if you did, I'd like to know please, which posts I haven't answered there.

gary67
20-07-2009, 09:09 PM
If you click on your name you can find all your threads

AntiVirMan
21-07-2009, 04:42 AM
Hi gary67,

Thanks for the reply/

I did look at my profile but must have missed that, now I'm embarrassed.

Regards,

AntiVirMan