PDA

View Full Version : ? Impending HDD failure

R.M.
19-07-2009, 05:50 PM
For some time now, my 'puter has been slow, with IE 8 not responding frequently. Yesterday when I tried to start my PC it went through many checks (can't remember exactly what now, but on a blue background). After all of that, well, it did start up ok - but still slow, and with the same probs with IE 8.

I ran sfc /scannow - no problems noted there. Now I find Seagate Tools show failure in the SMART test and Short DST test. Belarc Advisor also tells me that there has been failure in the SMART test.

When I look back through my purchasing history with Ascent, I find that I only bought the thing HDD the OS is on (the drive is partitioned with OS one one partition and My Documents on the other) last year in March. It is a Seagate ST3500630A 500gb internal HDD - IDE, I think. I have a number of external HDD, mostly with photos, but also Acronis backup of C Drive).

I've been frantically moving stuff to a safe place today (other drives, with mixed success).

So - I need to contact Ascent about warrenty?
I need a new HDD - what sort? An IDE or should I go for a SATA?
Do I need to start thinking about a new motherboard etc? The current one is a Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. K8M800-8237.

What do I do with my 'puter? I 'do' photography, so lots of Photoshop work. I also do the club newsletter, so I need a reliable email system (I use Outlook to keep myself sorted).

Advice and support is needed!
As always - TIA. :) (Although that's NOT really how I'm feeling at the moment)

Blam
19-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Contact Ascent, they should give you the same model one for free(RMA)

Or, if they can't replace it go for the cheapest Seagate SATA 500gb

You should've need a new motherboard.

You might want to run Seatools on the drive.

And download something like Knoppix or Ubuntu live CD, you may have better success for recovering DATA from this.

Blam

R.M.
19-07-2009, 06:44 PM

And download something like Knoppix or Ubuntu live CD, you may have better success for recovering DATA from this.

Blam

You mean tests other than SMART or Short DST test?

I've got a Linux disc somewhere I've used for some reason before. :)

Thanks. I'm gradually getting data off as we speak...

the_bogan
19-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Contact Ascent, they should give you the same model one for free(RMA)

Or, if they can't replace it go for the cheapest Seagate SATA 500gb

You should've need a new motherboard.

Blam

Why should she need a new motherboard?

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I think thats meant to say shouldnt

Blam
19-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I think thats meant to say shouldnt

I did, thanks speedy:p

My typing is a bit asfdliuafhnli

:p

R.M.
19-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Nothing wrong with your help though - nice & quick too! :D

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Was / Is it slow when you do anything in windows, or just IE? What kind of hdd is in it now?? If its IDE, it could be running in PIO mode, which will be why its slow. What addons have you installed for IE?? Some can hang IE, if theyre corrupt

R.M.
20-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Was / Is it slow when you do anything in windows, or just IE? What kind of hdd is in it now?? If its IDE, it could be running in PIO mode, which will be why its slow. What addons have you installed for IE?? Some can hang IE, if theyre corrupt

That sent me scurrying to find out what PIO mode is - and I'm still not sure!

It is an IDE HDD, mostly Google add-ons (but that has always been the case), it doesn't seem to matter which 'flavour' of IE (I've been backwards and forwards with 8,7,6 - currently have 8). Firefox is ok, but takes ages to get under way.

Things are generally slow (includes getting into Outlook). No, when I think about it - things are much slower on my desktop than on my lappy. That includes moving files from one place to another (which I've done a lot of in the last couple of days!).

pctek
20-07-2009, 08:24 AM
So - I need to contact Ascent about warrenty?
I need a new HDD - what sort? An IDE or should I go for a SATA?

Yes.

They will replace it with the same type.

Blam
20-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Did you try a chkdsk /r? You may be able to recover more data faster..

R.M.
20-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Did you try a chkdsk /r? You may be able to recover more data faster..

I didn't - but now have most of what I want off. I'll try that tonight.

I await contact from Ascent - I emailed them last night with print screens of my SMART problems identifying the offending HDD. :badpc:

It took me three days to get my 'puter set up the way I like last year - and I went to the trouble of using Acronis....:(

I'll have to take some leave to get myself sorted!

Agent_24
20-07-2009, 01:42 PM
PIO mode or not, if the drive fails SMART test then it's dying.

Chkdsk /r on a failing drive can cause lost data

R.M.
20-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Ascent are sending me a new HDD - but it will take me a while to get 'sorted' again. :thumbs: