PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario Motherboard Issue

Inkstand
19-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I should probably point out that I'm not particularly knowledgable when it comes to hardware, so I've decided to post my question online.

My families Compaq Presario V6000 laptop which ran Windows XP died sometime at the start of this year, but has since been replaced with a desktop. When I try turning it on, everything lights up for about 2 seconds, then turns off again. It was taken in for servicing and we were told the motherboard was dead, and that to find a replacement for this type of computer would cost a lot more than we'd like to pay :crying. All my games I own either run really slow or don't run at all on my knew desktop. I've since turned the hard drive into a removable device for school, but I was still hoping I might one day be able to resurrect my Presario.

The problem is I don't know what to replace the motherboard with, or where I should buy it (if I should buy it). I'm not sure if I've given you enough information or not, should you need anything more, just ask. Does anyone know what model I should try and find? And what it might cost?

Thanks heaps :)

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2009, 06:02 PM
It maybe similar to this (http://www.getpartsonline.com/431363-001.html). You would have to find out what the part # is first

Are you in NZ or somewhere else? You cant replace it with anything else, but the same motherboard

Blam
19-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Generally the motherboard will cost more than what the laptop itself is worth!

Strip it for parts and sell on TradeMe.

The CPU can be worth a bit, and you could re-use the wireless card.

Blam

Myth
19-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I looked at a laptop that did the same thing (turn on for 2 seconds, lights go on, then it shut down).
Turned out there was dust blocking the fan outlet (although the fan still spun freely).
You will probably have to open it up though to see

feersumendjinn
20-07-2009, 12:22 AM
All my games I own either run really slow or don't run at all on my new desktop.
Is your desktop a brand name computer also, if so it may be running the games on the integrated video system (in the motherboard) and they will run games badly; if the mobo has the capability to add a separate 3D card (either AGP or PCIe, the motherboard/computer manual will tell you), do that, will definitely improve your game speed/graphics. If it already has a separate video card you may just need to update the driver.
Myths suggestion is definitely a possibility for the laptop.

Inkstand
08-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I did get it professionally checked out, and they told me the motherboard was fried and to give up on it, but if a bit of dust is all that's worrying it, that'll definately fix my problem :D I'll see if I can open it up a check the fan (no promises, I'm not great with hardware) and let you know how it goes.

pctek
08-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Compaq Presario V6000 laptop died

been replaced with a desktop.
All my games I own either run really slow or don't run at all on my knew desktop. )

What sort of desktop - specifically what motherboard is in it?

Laptops aren't designed for gaming anyway, and the desktop, if the motherboard is fairly modern and has a PCI-E slot in it would most likely benefit immensely from putting in a graphics card. A decent one.

Thats the main thing games need.

linw
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
On the laptop, is it just the screen going black or does the OS shutdown? Reason I ask is that a crook LCD inverter can blank the screen after a couple of seconds. But in that case, the OS is still running.