PDA

View Full Version : Flickering notebook screen

Greg
19-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I have the Asus notebook discussed on this thread (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98069). (it's an Asus M51VR).

It's quite new. The problem is that the screen changes contrast for some reason about twice or more per minute.

It fluctuates between being normal then a bit bright, then back to normal. It's only just faintly noticeable, but it's very distracting.

My question is... is it worth sending it in to Asus under the warranty or could it be just a software setting?

It's my Internet computer now so I'm reluctant to part with if I don't have to. I also don't really want to have to pay courier costs.

somebody
19-07-2009, 12:44 PM
It sounds like the inverter might be on its way out. Yes - send it back under warranty while you can.

linw
19-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I agree. It may be painful to claim on warranty but it does look like a hardware problem, especially if it does it with all programs/windows screens.

Greg
19-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks both.

It's a damn schlep, but ah well.

Greg
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Just a follow up to this issue... spoke to Asus helpdesk. The guy said it was to do with the Ambient Light Sensor. He said simply to press Fn + A to disable it.

Lo and behold - problem solved!

:)

Metla
03-08-2009, 02:31 PM
far out.:xmouth:

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Ambient light sensor? Nice :D

wratterus
03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Gawd, and they needed to put one of those on the laptop why? :o :lol:

Silly little things like that are always the bits that break, I've got one of those light sensor do-dackies on my Bravia TV, never seems to work like it should.

Greg
03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Not sure either why they needed to have a sensor of this type on this lappie.

I mean really, if someone can afford to buy a notebook from them then they'd be compatent enough to know how to turn a wall light switch on or off!

:lol:

Nevermind... the good helpdesk response was... good; so can't complain.

SolMiester
03-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Gee guys, its to do with battery life.....if you noticed when on battery, the LCD dulls so not much power draw, however it is controlled by ambient light to control how bright it is.....
However Greg, remember the your problem is NOT cured, they have simply turned the broken, failing sensor off!

wratterus
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Gee guys, its to do with battery life.....if you noticed when on battery, the LCD dulls so not much power draw, however it is controlled by ambient light to control how bright it is.....
However Greg, remember the your problem is NOT cured, they have simply turned the broken, failing sensor off!

True - But most notebooks I've used will darken the screen when they are running on battery anyway, they just sense if there is AC power going in or not. Don't really need another sensor to darken/lighten it more I would have thought, it's normally pretty easy to change the brightness of the screen. :2cents:

Greg
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
However Greg, remember the your problem is NOT cured, they have simply turned the broken, failing sensor off!Jeez Sol. How can you make out to be so right when you're so wrong!

I haven't used this notebook on battery power since the first day I bought it.

hueybot3000
05-08-2009, 05:53 PM
I haven't used this notebook on battery power since the first day I bought it.

Thats one hell of a battery life :banana

Agent_24
06-08-2009, 12:54 AM
A failing inverter or CCFL will do a different kind of flickering (you can tell because the screen goes dark like it's turned off)

If the CCFL is old then you may also get a pink/red colour on the screen as well.