PDA

View Full Version : Poor Performance

08-07-2001, 08:03 PM
Hi there
I have a Pentium III 733mhz with 128mb of Ram, 20Gb HD running Win 98SE. The problem I've been having is one of performance. After restarting everything works fine for a while. After a couple of hours everything starts chugging along really slowly. Launching Programs take forever. When trying to access the internet, the modem skips & jumps & won't connect.Then I'm forced to restart.
First I thought there must've been a memory leak in one of my Apps. That wasn't the case.
Then I went to msconfig - startup tab & started a process of elimination to see if I could find a culprit. No luck there.
Kept a close eye on System Properties - Performance tab while opening Apps etc. The System Resouces never dropped below 77% free. Windows is managing Virtual memory.
I did try one other thing, which worked fine for a whole week. Ever hear of Fix1MB? It was good while it lasted though!!!
I use scandisk, defrag & cleanup regularly.
If you can help solve this mystery, I would be eternally grateful.

09-07-2001, 01:08 AM
it sounds kinda like a driver problem. but i would start with a good clean up. no not windows clean up. i prefer nortons systemworks myself but you can use others such as regcleaner,dll explorer. windows tends to leave bits behind when things are deleted, often a good clean out helps.

09-07-2001, 04:06 PM
have you done a ctrl Alt Delete to see if nasties like MDM are running?
Putting you virtual memory on a 500MB partition (twice your ram) helps things go smoothly.
Also try Norton Windoctor, part of norton utilities.

And what id Fix1MB?

10-07-2001, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't bother with Wintendo on a machine with specs like that. There would be nothing to do on this F1 site if we could rub out 9x varients....

15-07-2001, 06:06 PM
Hi Gerard,
thanks 4 your reply. Funnily enough I have been advised to do the Alt-Ctrl-Del after a fresh Restart, to close anything not absolutely necessary. This did the trick! Amongst those was the MDM you mentioned. Could you tell me what MDM is please?
Fix1MB is a little program I found searching the net for help with my problem. It protects the memory below 1MB that windows needs to communicate with DOS (something about Task Database). There is something about the 'Global Heap' and returning memory to it...Way over my head, but it did work until this unknown MDM started to show in the End Task List. Would really appreciate a reply from you Gerard.
Thanks a heap,
Kath :)