PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Bios Beeps

Phil B
18-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Every now & then my computer will start continuously beeping, but only when it's in sleep mode. I've looked up the Award bios codes & they say the CPU is overheating. It's never had that problem before. I've run various Linux distro's, XP, Vista & now Windows 7. I swap to different hard drives in the bios.
I disconnect the mains power lead from the power supply, leave it for a few minutes, plug it back it, boot up & it's back to normal operation, until the next time. It's been running for an hour or so now. I can touch the CPU cooler heatsink & it's barely warm
CPU fan's working, case fan's pointing at the CPU area & works ok, system cooling policy is active, hard drives turn off after 20 minutes, display after 45, so the power supply (400watt) isn't stressed. ????
Any Ideas?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks like the 8800 GTX can beep in sleep mode too. You havent got one of these cards have you? I doubt that its the CPU. And that it'll only beep in sleep mode. If it were overheating, it'd do it while youre doing something. Or probably after windows had loaded / booted. And if it got too hot, it'd probably shut the system down. Install a program / go into the BIOS. See what the temp is for the CPU

Blam
18-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Install Speedfan and keep an eye on the Temps.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Could also be a faulty temp sensor..

Blam

Phil B
18-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I've got an ATi HD4670 video card. It's got a horrible noisy fan so I put a variable resistor in the fan power wire & turned the speed down to a non invasive noise level. When I was running this with vista the catalyst software had a temperature reading of about 30deg. It made no difference whatever the fan speed was unless it was running at almost stalling speed, then the temp went up to about 40. Catalyst doesn't have that feature with win7 for some reason.
I installed speedfan. The temps for both cores are 32deg. The system has been left running for a few hours now with no probs.

Phil B
18-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I found the temp in catalyst. It shows 31deg.

Agent_24
18-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Update your BIOS? Maybe it's got a bug and it's doing something stupid...

linw
19-07-2009, 06:07 PM
It's hardly likely to be a cpu overheating in sleep mode considering the cpu is shutdown.

That mobo beeping is a signal that there is something really wrong. This can occur with looming power problems. Consider the age of the psu and mobo. Are there electrolytic capacitor problems e.g. drying out or bulging?

I have a >7 yr old machine that has had its caps replaced 3 yrs ago but it is now doing the continous beep now and then at cold startup. Restart it and it comes on OK. So I have a diagnosis problem, too!

Clean out all dust etc as well.

Good luck - this is not an easy one to diagnose from a distance (or even close up!).

Agent_24
19-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I have a >7 yr old machine that has had its caps replaced 3 yrs ago but it is now doing the continous beep now and then at cold startup.

If the replacement capacitors were junk quality then 3 years might be about all they're good for

Phil B
19-07-2009, 08:11 PM
The Gigabyte MB has solid caps. The power supply might be getting tired now. It's about 6 years old. A Nexus 400watt. I suppose it could be that as thinking about it, when the computer is powered up, the whole lot is going at once. 5 hard drives, a floppy, optical & pci cards. It's been going like that for a about 4 years. Maybe I ought to get another & give it a go. Time for some reviews

Agent_24
20-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Hmmm... Strange PSU of unknown name and 6 years old....

I think you've probably found the problem - open that PSU up and I will be surprised if you don't find any dodgy capacitors on there

wratterus
20-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Hmmm... Strange PSU of unknown name and 6 years old....

I think you've probably found the problem - open that PSU up and I will be surprised if you don't find any dodgy capacitors on there

Definitely.

A 400w even from a good manufacturer is a little underpowered for that lot.

Phil B
20-07-2009, 08:58 PM
The pc's expanded since I bought the power supply, it's been sweating for around 3 or 4 of those years.

Nexus at the time was one of the top brands overseas for clean, quiet & stable power.

Agent_24
20-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I never heard of Nexus but like Wratterus said, even a good 400 watt PSU would probably be a bit underpowered for your setup.

But even Antec used to use (and might still do on their cheaper line eg: Basiq) those horrifically bad Fuhjyyu capacitors...

If your PSU really is as good as you say it is, you should check the capacitors and replace as nessecary and keep it anyway. Decently designed and built PSUs are not something to just throw away

Phil B
20-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Yesterday I had a bit of a clear out of unused programs, cleaned the system with ccleaner & winoptimizer, defragged it & rebooted it. It went into sleep mode overnight & when I woke it up a couple of hours ago, it was all good.
I'll see what happens this week & maybe lash out at the weekend