PDA

View Full Version : Laptop power cords.

Cicero
18-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Can we buy the power cords fo laptops at a good price,perhaps second hand.?

Would be handy if cheap enough to have them all over the place,like cheap glasses.

johcar
18-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Are you after the power cable or the transformer that sits in the middle Cicero? The cable from the power outlet to the transformer comes in two or three different flavours (the bit that plugs into the transformer has different shapes, depending on the manufacturer of the transformer)...

Cicero
18-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Are you after the power cable or the transformer that sits in the middle Cicero? The cable from the power outlet to the transformer comes in two or three different flavours (the bit that plugs into the transformer has different shapes, depending on the manufacturer of the transformer)...

Like I said jo.I want to plug computer in for power use,whenever I use battery,it seems to just run out at wrong time.
Sounds like I need to buy factory kit,which I doubt will be cheap.

plod
18-07-2009, 11:32 AM
http://laptopuniverse.co.nz/
Like I said jo.I want to plug computer in for power use,whenever I use battery,it seems to just run out at wrong time.

johcar
18-07-2009, 11:57 AM

It's John, not jo, thanks. :)

You can buy replacements from places like plod has indicated - but as you say they are not cheap. I bought one for my old Tosh a while back and it cost a couple of hundred (IIRC...).

But Dick Smith does generic ones (with multi fittings for most brands) reasonably cheap I understand...

Cicero
18-07-2009, 01:21 PM
It's John, not jo, thanks. :)

You can buy replacements from places like plod has indicated - but as you say they are not cheap. I bought one for my old Tosh a while back and it cost a couple of hundred (IIRC...).

But Dick Smith does generic ones (with multi fittings for most brands) reasonably cheap I understand...

Thanks car:clap

johcar
18-07-2009, 01:33 PM
No problem, 'ro... ;)

Blam
18-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Look on TradeMe.

They have the cheapest. $30-$50 new guaranteed.

Digby
18-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes I also don't know what Cicero means by "cheap power cord"
The cord from the mains to the transformer or the cord from the transformer to the laptop ?
The former are very ubiquitous - I have about 10 of them spare.

Regarding transformers etc - what it needs is some sort of initiative like the EU has taken with mobile phones. They have mandated that all Mobiles sold in the EU will have use a similar charger with a similar socket in the unit.
This way they (mobiles) will not only become cheaper, but people will find it easier to replace lost chargers etc.
The same should happen for laptops.

Cicero
18-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes I also don't know what Cicero means by "cheap power cord"
The cord from the mains to the transformer or the cord from the transformer to the laptop ?
The former are very ubiquitous - I have about 10 of them spare.

Regarding transformers etc - what it needs is some sort of initiative like the EU has taken with mobile phones. They have mandated that all Mobiles sold in the EU will have use a similar charger with a similar socket in the unit.
This way they (mobiles) will not only become cheaper, but people will find it easier to replace lost chargers etc.
The same should happen for laptops.

Dear Digby,you will note I want to have connections hither and thither,how would these work without all bits,transformer etc??

I will look on T/M for cheapy.

Thanks all.

Blam
18-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Give us the laptop model no. and I'll grab you a link if you want

Cicero
18-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Give us the laptop model no. and I'll grab you a link if you want

That would be Toshiba,Satellite A 300

DC19v

Blam
18-07-2009, 04:29 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Power-adaptors/Toshiba/auction-230464480.htm

Cicero
18-07-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Power-adaptors/Toshiba/auction-230464480.htm

Thanks Blamo,now the question is,do I want to pay $65 for that extra conveniece??

Greg
18-07-2009, 05:20 PM
No problem, 'ro... ;)
Heh heh :lol:

wainuitech
18-07-2009, 06:50 PM
If it were a HP / Compaq I could help - its output is 18.5 V though, but works fine other wise.

The original laptop is Stuffed ( Customers insurance job)- it took a flush in the Dunny (dont ask) :lol:

R2x1
18-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Very convenient.

Cicero
18-07-2009, 11:46 PM
If it were a HP / Compaq I could help - its output is 18.5 V though, but works fine other wise.

The original laptop is Stuffed ( Customers insurance job)- it took a flush in the Dunny (dont ask) :lol:

Thanks Wai,so near yet so far.:groan:

wainuitech
19-07-2009, 12:01 AM
yeah - so damn close - I also had a look at two other customers HP laptops I have in the workshop currently - their power adapters are also 18.5 V -- Wonder if its done on purpose so a person cant use another brand of Power adapter ?

Cicero
19-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I see the EU are making it compulsory for cell phone makers,to have the same connector for charging.

They should do same with laptop connections!