PDA

View Full Version : Seagate again?

minster
17-07-2009, 11:49 PM
In my recent build I used a new 160gb Seagate HDD for os and also fitted a 500gb Seagate 7200.11 that I had been given 12 months ago. This was also brand new(still in sealed packet) when I installed it 6/8 weeks ago.
Twice this 500gb drive has disappeared from "My Computer" and "Computer Managment"
Both times I had though nothing of it as I just unplugged the Sata cable and replugged it and the drive showed up again,
Then I read the earlier post here about missing HDD's and thought it may be one of the baddies so copied all 160gbs of games/data off it to external, reformatted it.ran discheck and downloaded and ran Seagates Seatools.
No firmware updates were available for this model from Seagate.
It passed every test and appears to be running fine.

Is there any other reason that can make a HDD disappear besides it failing.
Even if I was to buy a new HDD to replace it, then it would be a shame to throw away a perfectly good 500gb drive:illogical

Blam
18-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Maybe loose SATA cables?

minster
18-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Maybe loose SATA cables?

Yes it's possible but I'm fairly sure I would have noticed.

pctek
18-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Twice this 500gb drive has disappeared from "My Computer" and "Computer Managment"
Both times I had though nothing of it as I just unplugged the Sata cable and replugged it and the drive showed up again,

Is there any other reason that can make a HDD disappear besides it failing.

Could be the motherboard - but then you'd have other symptoms and it wouldn't be just the one drive.

If the drive has a controller fault it won't necessarily show in the Seagate diagnostics - if it is intermittent.

Check Event Viewer and see if thats what it says.

If so, send it back for replacement to the shop. They have a 5 year warranty.

sarel
18-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I've got precisely the same problem, also with a 500 G HD so it's not your fault. Mine is currently in for a check - by the way, it could be the electrical cable as well (I found it overheating)

sarel

wainuitech
18-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Seagate 7200.11 That is the model that was affected by firmware - done the update for several of them.

What you need to do to make sure is open the device manager, under Disks - locate the drive, right click it / Properties, there it will have something like STXXXXXXXXX XX being the model number - thats what you check.

minster
18-07-2009, 12:13 PM
That is the model that was affected by firmware - done the update for several of them.

What you need to do to make sure is open the device manager, under Disks - locate the drive, right click it / Properties, there it will have something like STXXXXXXXXX XX being the model number - thats what you check.

Yes I've checked model and serial numbers (ST3500320AS) and done search for firmware on Seagate site but came up as none available for that model.

Have contacted my friend that gave me the HDD (as payment for work I did for him) and am now waiting to see what he comes up with.
He owns a small computer supply/repair shop.

wainuitech
18-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Errr wrong answer :p just located the firmware updates for the drive you listed ST3500320AS -- Download from here (http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951) ( very first drive listed) Both the update and the ISO images. Took about 2 minutes to locate it.

I'd suggest you install then while the drive is still working, if it fails you would lose any data - and the drives stuffed.

zqwerty
18-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Seagate SeaTools for Windows 1.2.0.0 Size: 10 MB

http://majorgeeks.com/Seagate_SeaTools_for_Windows_d2858.html

minster
18-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Errr wrong answer :p just located the firmware updates for the drive you listed ST3500320AS -- Download from here (http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207951) ( very first drive listed) Both the update and the ISO images. Took about 2 minutes to locate it.

I'd suggest you install then while the drive is still working, if it fails you would lose any data - and the drives stuffed.

Thanks Wainui,
I went to your link, downloaded the top firmware update, ran it and now my 500gb has dissapeared again:waughh:
Do I need to do the iso update as well?

wainuitech
18-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Every Update I have done is been from the ISO Image ( for the drive model concerned)-- Only once tried from the windows One, and wouldn't load at all.
But I suspect it was the particular drive, as even the bootable ISO took 2 goes - first time wouldn't detect the drive, second time worked.

Edited: as previously mentioned by others, it could also be the Board/ Cable/ Power.

Do you have available another PC that you can attach the drive to and see if that picks it up OK. Process of elimination to find out where the exact problem is.

minster
18-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Ok,
In your absense I made the iso, read the text instructions, disconnected all sata devices apart from the suspect one and tried to boot from it which didnt work.
Plugged the main drive back in and restarted PC without cd in drive and now main drive is not booting either? Message on screen at boot, DISC BOOT FAILURE,INSERT SUSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER

Where do I go from here?
It is possible that I plugged the sata cables into the wrong Mobo sata ports but does this matter? (eg. sata1 sata2 sata3 sata4)

minster
18-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Edit to above reply!

I have got main drive worling again by inserting sata cables into correct positions ie. DVD drive = sata 1, Main OS drive = sata 2 and 500gb data drive (suspect one) = sata 3
All drives are now showing including 500gb so I think it will hopefully stay like that untill I can get a new drive for my backup.
Thanks for all the replies:)

wainuitech
18-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Sounds like something screwy was going on ??

Normally I put HDD in 1 optical in 2 Other drives 3 and above.

If it works -- Great :thumbs:

In your absense-----

SWMBO -- said get the bloody kitchen finished if you want to eat tonight :lol: Just because I had crap every where :D

sarel
30-07-2009, 07:28 AM
As previously reported, I took in my power supply to DSE. I did not have one of the listed HD's that needs new firmware, so I started at the power supply. Lo and behold, *touch wood*, two weeks running without problems. Btw DSE gave me a new power cable.

Incidentally, when I was in DSE to pick up the power cable, I checked out the specials and HD's on offer and it made me drool to see them getting smaller all the time.

Just one little problem - this external HD of mine is on all the time. Should I run it 24/7 (I think so). Secondly, I can actually hear the HD, a low hum, all the time (from the start it had this low hum). Now my desktop is totally silent, so I notice the HD. Any way to turn the sound down (I think I should just live with it).

sarel