PDA

View Full Version : Wireless N Networking/ Broadband Speed

justinsg
17-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi there,

I have just switched to broadband (telecom unlimited) and bought a Wireless N networking system. Each computer has a Linksys WUSB100 usb N adapter and the modem/wireless router is a Linksys WAG160N.

Each computer has internet but there are three problems:

Computers in the same Workgroup cannot see each other
Computers can only see themselves and the router (tested using ping)
One computer can only get 0.9mbps when the others get 12+ (max 14)

The computer running slow broadband has a 1.6Ghz processor, 384mb RAM and USB 2.0.

They are all running Windows XP with the latest updates of Windows and installed software.

Thanks in advance,
Justinsg

Chilling_Silence
17-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Is this 0.9mbps to speedtest.net? How far is the unit from the router? Does that slow machine have USB2.0 drivers installed correctly?

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Questions 1 & 2:

On the firewalls installed on the PC's - Has the full IP address range been allowed through from the router. Eg:192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 ( or what ever the IP address is for that router)

justinsg
17-07-2009, 08:13 PM
0.9mbps is on http://www.speedtest.net AND http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz

The computer is about 4m from the router (another computer reaches 14 at about 6m though)

The drivers seemed to install correctly but I will check - Thanks Chilling_silence

justinsg
17-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Questions 1 & 2:

On the firewalls installed on the PC's - Has the full IP address range been allowed through from the router. Eg:192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 ( or what ever the IP address is for that router)

I have COMODO firewall on both and I have created a network zone allowing the entire 192.168.1.* range. It hasn't made any difference

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Comodo SHOULD detect both networks and ask you to add it?? You shouldnt have to add it manually. Is the latest version installed on both?

Phil B
17-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm using the same gear as you. When I first set it up I had the same problems as you. I ended up setting it up manually with fixed ip addresses for the computers. In wireless security use wpa2 personal security & make up your own pre shared key. Enable wireless mac filter, enter the mac address for each N usb stick in the mac address filter list & save it. I have wireless connect speeds to the router between 270 & 300 mbs. I added a Belkin N usb stick the same way & that connects at 300 through 2 walls. After doing that your internet connect speeds should be the same for each computer, unless somethings stuffed up on them

justinsg
17-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Comodo SHOULD detect both networks and ask you to add it?? You shouldnt have to add it manually. Is the latest version installed on both?

Ok then, Ill check - but if I disable the firewalls I should be able to connect them right?

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Delete what u entered and reboot both. If comodo has a wizard use that instead. Umm (in theory), if you disable both, it should work

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Just an experienced hint:

When ever I set up a Network for anyone, I always remove / turn off ALL security, ( wireless Security & Firewalls) that way nothing is stopping the connections.

Once the LAN is working, then turn security back on, one item at a time, that way if it suddenly stops you know what is causing the problem.

Regarding Comodo - Have not used it myself for a while now, not since they started with the Antivirus - I have also had several complete program failures with comodo lately on customers LAN's and only way to fix it was reinstall it then remove the program - LANS worked after that.

BUT when it was working, in just about every case I had to manually put in the settings/ IP range from 1-254 for the LAN to work correctly.

Phil B
18-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I got rid of comodo mainly because it's worse than an old woman for nagging
With vista & win7 I use the windows firewall coupled with the router. On GRC site it shows no leaks & the same stealth. Good enough for me anyway

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2009, 03:44 PM
True (altho any FW will nag you). It wouldnt be a FW if it didnt. Since i've been on BB, I've never bothered with a firewall either (on 3 of the PC's here). The router's is good enough.

Phil B
18-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I found that with comodo installed, it turned installing software into nagging fest nightmare, even in installation mode.
If I want nagging I only have to try & amuse the wife with some of my toilet level humour lol

wainuitech
18-07-2009, 05:42 PM
If I want nagging I only have to try & amuse the wife with some of my toilet level humour lol :lol: Good man :thumbs:

justinsg
19-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Haha

Okay I've fixed the problem of the firewalls. But does anyone have any suggestion on what could be slowing one of the computers down by 13mbps?
They all use identical Linksys WUSB100 N adapters and are similar distance to the router.

The specs of the faster pcs range from:
2 - 2.6 CPU
1 - 2 RAM
80 - 160gb HDD

and the slower one has:
1.6 CPU
384mb RAM
40gb HDD

USBs: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/WUSB100
Router: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/WAG160N

Also now you mention, Comodo being difficult I'd love a change - it has a red alert for every .exe it finds!
What free firewall is better?

Blam
19-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Thats not normal, a red alert for every .exe?

There's ZoneAlarn and Kerio, but they're really unneeded, Windows FIrewall + Routers NAT FIrewall is more than enough, as long as you're doing nothing dodgy on the web.

Try reinstalling the drivers for the N adapter.

Blam