PDA

View Full Version : One reason why ram may fail

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Has anyone ever put ram with gold connectors on it in a slot with tin?? Or vice-versa? I was just reading this computer book I've got here, and didnt know this (till now).

You've got more chance of the ram failing because the tin will oxidise. There was even a lawsuit against a vendor (in the US - it doesnt say when) because he refused to replace the ram (because of the above).

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 08:26 PM
How do you put tin on the gold contacts (or am I reading that wrong) they are a push fit as it is ?????

Was the Tin in the actual DIMM Slots on the Board ?

If you mix metals usually they can cause all sorts of reactions.

Edited: found this
Gold vs. Tin
There's some controversy about mixing gold leads with tin leads. Motherboard memory sockets and RAM modules can come with either tin- or gold-plated connectors. Some people suggest that mixing the two causes oxidation and eventually corrodes the leads. In a strict sense, it's true, but the chemical process is so slow that you'd have to leave the memory installed for years to make a difference. I've mixed gold and tin connectors in one system here for more than a year with nary a hint of tarnish.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Yup the dimm slots are tin and the connectors on the stick are gold, or vice-versa

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 08:32 PM
To carry on from above :D Hope the right page loads (http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=lLLTarb7e3YC&pg=PT204&lpg=PT204&dq=Tin+DIMM+Slots&source=bl&ots=mcWVGmE2IW&sig=LcCgk3ZwZ5XroAM0V6JR3U0pQOs&hl=en&ei=wCdgSrqDLcyptgft9djlDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1) in the blue section.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Similar to the one here except its called upgrading and repairing PC's. A mate gave it to me for helping him out. $120. Its still got the price on it

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Prob Similar to the book we got when I did a course once to get some quals This one (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-PC-Upgrade-Maintenance-Guide/dp/0782140750) Mine says 12th Edition on the cover, not 2003

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 09:12 PM
This one (http://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Repairing-14th-Scott-Mueller/dp/0789727455/ref=pd_sim_b_1/182-4896414-4748065) except I've got the 11th ed.

Billy T
17-07-2009, 09:27 PM
You've got more chance of the ram failing because the tin will oxidise.

Surely that is the MB's problem because gold is a noble metal and totally non-reactive.

I can't see why the ram would fail just because the tin oxidised either, unless it grew tin-whiskers and shorted across the ram contacts, but they take many years to grow and any computer would be dead and buried before they reached that stage.

Search tin whiskers on the net, there are some amazing images out there.

Curious :illogical

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pctek
18-07-2009, 09:27 AM
most modern computers use gold contacts, it’s not as much of a problem as it once was.
And another reason to avoid crap brand motherboards.

Agent_24
18-07-2009, 11:45 PM
I heard this issue was more common back in the days of the 386 and EDO RAM.

I have seen some pretty horribly dirty contacts on RAM though...

I have discovered that there is nothing better than Staedtler 'mars plastic' erasers for cleaning them