PDA

View Full Version : Is it the LAN, hd, mb, or OS ?

Strommer
17-07-2009, 06:49 PM
My P4 desktop WinXP connects to the internet no problems, via a Dynalink ADSL router. I have an old hd and decided to put an earlier version of the OS on it - using Acronis it reinstalled the OS but would not connect to the internet. (Yes I disconnected the other hd as ASAIK two hd's with OS's on them will not work.) I rang Slingshot and got a techie who gave me IP numbers, and also had me Enable/Disable/Enable the Network Connection - but nothing worked so he said the problem was the LAN card. Why would it be the LAN card if it connects to the internet OK when I use the other hd?

Or could it be the hd? I tried doing a fresh install of WinXP, plus another Acronis drive image, but then I could not even create a new network connection or see any network connection at all.

Or a mb fault? ASUS P4P800

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Does anything in device manager show a ? or ! ? Did you give it an ip?

CYaBro
17-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Most likely a driver problem if it works in another O/S.

Strommer
17-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Does anything in device manager show a ? or ! ? Did you give it an ip?

Hmmmnn, did not check the device manager. Yes I plugged in the IP numbers that the Slingshot techie gave me and also tried the IP numbers from my wife's laptop. However remember that with a clean install of WinXP (and another Acronis drive image) I cannot see any network connection at all. I might not be able to check the device manager until tomorrow since we have visitors arriving soon.

CYaBro - how to solve a driver problem?

Almost forgot another bit of info that may be important: Although I can connect to the internet using my main hd (a relatively new Seagate 500 G), when I go to Network Connections there is nothing - a blank. I have assumed this to be a corrupt OS as I there are a few other problems that I cannot solve, such as it no longer does Bluetooth transfers (with a dongle) or IR, and while my scanner can be used with the WinXP scanner-camera wizard, the Mikrotek software no longer works ("cannot find scanner"). There are a few other annoying problems that I have put up with and have assumed that it has been a corrupt OS but now I wonder if it is hardware...

CYaBro
17-07-2009, 07:20 PM
CYaBro - how to solve a driver problem?

Did you go to Asus's website and download the LAN driver for your mobo or are you just using the Windows drivers?

pctek
17-07-2009, 07:28 PM
when I go to Network Connections there is nothing - a blank. it no longer does Bluetooth transfers (with a dongle) or IR, and while my scanner can be used with the WinXP scanner-camera wizard, the Mikrotek software no longer works ("cannot find scanner"). There are a few other annoying problems that I have put up with and have assumed that it has been a corrupt OS but now I wonder if it is hardware...

You need to install:

Motherboard - Chipset drivers, sound drivers, VGA drivers (if onboard graphics), LAN drivers, bluetooth drivers

Whatever addons:

Printer, scanner, etc drivers.

If you don't have the CDs, you get them from the manufacturers website.

Strommer
18-07-2009, 09:49 AM
You need to install:

Motherboard - Chipset drivers, sound drivers, VGA drivers (if onboard graphics), LAN drivers, bluetooth drivers

Whatever addons:

Printer, scanner, etc drivers.

If you don't have the CDs, you get them from the manufacturers website.

Duh. :blush: Memory lapse! When I decided to reinstall WinXP the first thing I told myself was to get the ASUS driver CD. I put the original P4P800 mb box on the table, looked through it twice but could not find the CD, then completely forgot about the drivers.:annoyed: It is weird how these things happen - sometimes I look for the peanut butter jar and cannot see it amidst everything else on the shelf. Anyhow, thanks for the reminder - the CD was between two booklets in the ASUS box and I don't know how I missed it. Installed drivers OK and did not have to fiddle with IP numbers - connected to internet no problem. In retrospect I see that I convinced myself that it was a hardware problem and overlooked the obvious - the mb drivers. All is sweet now and it is nice to have a clean OS :cool:install.

linw
19-07-2009, 06:15 PM
But it's good that you didn't find the peanut butter jar as peanut butter clogs a machine to hell.