PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Computer & Files & Printer.

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Hello Again.
On my other problem thread, I have been sending photos across to Maryann's computer for her to print, via Email. Bit silly eh.

We have two comps, both XP Home, Networked. A printer hard connected to my comp & another to Hers.

My printer is not in good condition & is not worth repairing, we have had it a long time. Epson StylusPhoto RX510.
Maryann has an Epson Stylus CX3900.

So.

How do we Share printers
How do we Share Folders
How do we Share Computers.
We should be able to access each others Comp & look at Documents, Pictures etc.
Seems damned silly sending stuff by email.

Remember...words of one syllable please & don't assume I know what you are talking about. Thanks PJ

Blam
17-07-2009, 01:07 PM
First step is get them on the same workgroup. It'll save you entering her IP/Name to access her computer and will simplify things a bit.

Right Click My Computer>properties>in the Computer Name tab, click Change>Under Member of, click Workgroup, type the a name for a workgroup(i.e PJ HOME or something) and then do set it to the same workgroup for the other PC.

Once you've done that report back.

Blam

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 05:45 PM
blam6...thanks.

Just reading the instructione & comparinh on screen.

"Cllick Change...Under Member of. No "member of" that I can see.

Name of comp. If I call mine PJ Home, surely that is not the same on the other comp. Shouldn't that one be Maryann Home? PJ

gary67
17-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Your comps can both be called what you like BUT the workgroup should be the same. Right click my comp, properties, comp name tab then about halfway down the page will be a button on the right saying change. Next to it it will say click to rename or join a workgroup

Blam
17-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Sorry, was thinking of another OS.

Just follow Garys instructions, change the workgroup to a set name and do the same with the other computer

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I would share A folder (create one then share it), dont share the WHOLE hdd.

Go to control panel / printers / go into its properties then share it. Then go to the other PC / same place / add a printer. Then search for it

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 07:44 PM
OK. Naming & Work Group is done.

Now I am going to try for the printers.

Whatever my printer is called, it must be the same in Maryanns comp & vice versa. Yes? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Go to the PC with the printer / properties / sharing. Tick share this printer. Remember the name that appears here. Its WHAT should appear on the networked PC. (Dont forget to turn the printer on)

Then go to the PC (you want to add the printer to). Control panel / printer / add printer. Click on next / A network printer. Click on browse for a printer. If you've shared the printer (and the workgroups are the same click on the workgroup name / name of printer, it should appear here. Select it add it. Thats it

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 07:50 PM
My comp has printer sharing enabled but as printer 1 & printer 2.

M's asks for the network wizard to set them up. PJ
PS Altho both printer icons appear it "Printers".

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Dont worry about the wizard (its hopeless) just do the above to share the printer

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Dont use a network wizard - they are usually crap --Once you have done what Speedy put
Then go to the PC (you want to add the printer to). Control panel / printer / add printer. Click on next / A network printer. Click on browse for a printer. If you've shared the printer (and the workgroups are the same click on the workgroup name / name of printer, it should appear here. Select it add it. Thats it It may warn you that you are connecting to another PC- Agree.

You may get a message saying it has to install drivers to work - if it does agree, the basic drivers will install and away it goes.

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Go to the PC with the printer / properties / sharing. Tick share this printer. Remember the name that appears here. Its WHAT should appear on the networked PC. (Dont forget to turn the printer on)

Then go to the PC (you want to add the printer to). Control panel / printer / add printer. Click on next / A network printer. Click on browse for a printer. If you've shared the printer (and the workgroups are the same click on the workgroup name / name of printer, it should appear here. Select it add it. Thats it

Ok Have done this except Add Printer. They both show in My Printers in each comp.

Tried to send a letter across to M's printer & it wont. Printer not ready. Greyeyed out.

My comp Printers, now has a second pair of printer icons, same name but with Auto in front.

Will try again. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 08:23 PM
If theres more than 1 printer (on the PC thats got the printer). make sure its the default. Sounds like it picked up the printer (if there's another printer icon with the same name)

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Doesn't matter if they "show" as being there - unless you tell the PC to install a printer it wont work (unless it auto installs Shared printers like Vista & W7).

you have to click "add printer" then select networked Printer.

The fact that they do show is good :thumbs:, that means the PC can see them - but it needs the software to work.

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 08:29 PM
OK It works from My Comp to M's printer. For the moment that is as far as we now want to g. So thankyou for this far.

Now next bit.

To establish a folder on each comp for the other to access. By that I mean if I want M to get summat from my comp, I put it into A Folder, which she can access & vice versa. Does that make sense. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Right mouse / new / folder. Create it wherever. Then give it a name / right mouse / sharing / tick the middle 2 options then OK. Thats if simple file sharing is ticked. To make things easier go to start/run type sendto

Right mouse / new / shortcut. Point it to the folder you created (under network places), give it a name. Then when you want to copy, right mouse on the file / send to / name of the folder

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 09:03 PM
OK. First line, got as far as Shring. Network & Sharing is greyed out. What is 'Simple File sharing'? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Open my computer / tools / file options / view. Is simple file sharing ticked down the bottom? If it isnt tick it. It'll make it easier if its ticked, otherwise on some PC's you'll have to login to the other PC to access the folder

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 09:13 PM
OK I think I have got that sorted. On My desktop I have an icom P2M, shared. I take it that , that is where I want to put stuff to go to M's comp.

What do I do to hers now? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 09:24 PM
OK I think I have got that sorted. On My desktop I have an icon P2M, shared. I take it that , that is where I want to put stuff to go to M's comp.

What do I do to hers now? PJ

You do the same thing on hers. You can send from any folder you want (but you cant copy programs that have already been installed (from yours to hers, they wont work). If she wants a program, she'll have to install it from cd / a download. But the folder you created / and shared (P2M) will be the folder the files (she copies to you) will go to. Likewise for the other PC

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 09:24 PM
The shared Folder on P's Desktop can be accessed from M's.

On M's desktop, do the same shared folder, cal it what ever m2p.

If p wants to put items in M's PC, P can go to network Places, and double click M's folder. then copy Paste the item to it. The item will now appear in M's Folder.

Or it can be done in reverse. The item put in P's folder ( on desktop) and M can go network Places open, copy /cut , delete what ever the item is.

Think of the shared folders a a two way road - both can see the folder and items can be transferred either way, or accessed from either way.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2009, 09:32 PM
And to save (as previously posted) you copying and pasting. Create a shortcut to both folders instead.Then right mouse on whatever file / select send to / then the name of the folder. Then the file will get copied from you to her. And vice-versa. Or create the shortcut to her folder on your desktop. Then all you'll have to do, is open her folder and copy / paste to it. It'll save you opening my network places / her folder and pasting it in

Poppa John
17-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Ok Thanks guys. Thats enough for today, I am stuffed. I have printed W's & SG's . Will try again in the morning.

Goodnight. PJ

wainuitech
17-07-2009, 10:40 PM
May as well get a good word in for my post #7500 --- Still a LONG way to catch speedy:lol:

Since the PC's can see one another that's most of the battle won.:banana

The rest is just learning a few minor settings / way to do things -- as always there's usually several ways to obtain the same result - you use what ever is easiest for yourself.

PS: Once you have done this a few times you'll think back it wasn't that hard.

Its when the damn PC's wont see one another, that's when the fun begins --- Otherwise,one step at a time.

Goodnight PJ :sleep

Poppa John
19-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Haven't finished with this yet.Have been mentally "Off Colour" this last couple of days, cannot concentrate for long. Aftereffects of the stroke I expect. Will come back soon if you will let me. Thanks. PJ:o

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi All...I am not going to continue with this project. I have got my printer working again so I do not need to "Send" stuff to Maryann for printing.

Thankyou for all your help. PJ

Richard
23-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Chicken. Why not get it all up and running in case you need it in future. Maryann's printer may be better than yours at some things. Then she may wish to use your printer at some stage. Who knows. It will be another string for your bow, as the saying goes.

Poppa John
23-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Chicken. Why not get it all up and running in case you need it in future. Maryann's printer may be better than yours at some things. Then she may wish to use your printer at some stage. Who knows. It will be another string for your bow, as the saying goes.

Yes you are right. It ought to be done. But...I am not mentally up to it, it all seems so confusing. For now it is in the Too Hard Basket. I will wait till Metla calls in again. PJ

Blam
23-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Where about are you in Auckland exactly?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2009, 02:18 PM
He's not in Auckland - Wanganui

Blam
23-07-2009, 02:33 PM
He's not in Auckland - Wanganui

oh..:p

Richard
23-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Yes you are right. It ought to be done. But...I am not mentally up to it, it all seems so confusing. For now it is in the Too Hard Basket. I will wait till Metla calls in again. PJ

Good thinking then PJ :thumbs:

Misty
23-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I note that Poppa John has decided not to continue at this stage, but anyway, both for interest and in case he has another go, reading through the thread I can't see any mention that Maryann's computer has to be switched on for the printing to take place. Ie, both computers have to be switched on (obviously Poppa John's too !).

We have a PC and printer downstairs and a laptop upstairs connected wirelessly. When printing from the laptop we have to also switch on the PC.
Presumably that is standard ?
Misty :2cents:

Blam
23-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes Misty, you are correct.

Its one of the many limitations of a Workgroup.

If you want to be able to do it without the computer being on your could get a WL-520GU with print server for around $100 or convert an old computer into a print server.

Blam