PDA

View Full Version : Planet ISP

rumpty
16-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the local (Auckland) ISP Planet? A friend of mine has just got their broadband going today, with Planet, and all looked good on the router, a solid connection to the cabinet up the road, and all was working well.

They have just rung me now though (9pm), to say that their internet connection is intermittent. It works perfectly for a while, then no web pages can be accessed for 5 or 10 minutes, then all comes right by itself. Apparently the ADSL light on the router stays on as expected through all of this.

I'm not saying anything is wrong at Planet, but just wondered about other's experience. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Never heard of it

rumpty
16-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Never heard of it

Thanks. That might tell me all I need to know.

pctek
17-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Malware checks before blaming the ISP.

Mirddes
17-07-2009, 09:47 AM
im with xnet and i had a similar sounding problem, replacing my adsl router fixed it.
so i would suggest trying another adsl router.

Chilling_Silence
17-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I had a problem with Xnet at my parents place that was exactly as you described. The problem was Xnet. I was on a line they were wholesaling off Telecom. It had to do with DNS responses not being received. Tried multiple routers amongst other things, and most of the time the helpdesk would end up washing their hands of it telling me that I knew more than their helpdesk did.

We jumped ship to Orcon on their Plus Network and couldnt be happier with the new speeds etc, plus no further connection issues.
It was only when we refused to pay the last months bill that Xnet took a bit of an interest in the problem.

Now, I'm not saying that yours is definitely the same issue, but the symptoms sound roughly similar.

What happens if you do this:
Click Start --> Run -->
ping -t trademe.co.nz

Get them to just leave that going. When they notice that browsing is dead, see if that window still continues to ping, or if it too has stopped. Get them to note down the status of all the lights on their router, and get them to record how long it lasts for, then the time that it resumes ... See if they can spend an hour or two on their PC one night and make a note of it all :) It'll help us diagnose the issue.

What's the router make / model?

Cheers

Chill.

Nermal
17-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Never heard of it

Planet's been around for... 15 years?

But no, I don't have any experience with it.

rumpty
17-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

First thing I should add is that they are using a Mac laptop.

Second, the router is a D-link DSL-504T. I know, some of you don't like D-Link, but this is actually my old Gen1 router which has performed perfectly for me for a couple of years. I heard that they needed a router, so I gave them this one. I have moved up to the Gen2 model to get ADSL2.

Third, I will ring them and see if things have been working properly today.