PDA

View Full Version : Dead hard drive

Driftwood
16-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I've been presented with a dead serial hard drive to try & access.
The user was doing the right thing & had a backup, unfortunately this was the backup.
It will spin & the arm moves across the disc but thats all.
If you connect it to a system even as a slave, the system won't boot.
USB adaptor won't detect it.
Was wondering, has anyone had any sucess swapping a disc into another known good hard drive. I have several others here but none exactly the same.

utopian201
16-07-2009, 02:45 PM
er, do you mean actually opening the drive?
I think the moment you open the drive, you risk contaminating the platters. Even smoke particles cause damage.
The most I have done is freezing a drive in a plastic bag overnight and then trying it, it was quite successful.

pctek
16-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Stuffed.
As he had backed up - presumably he did this properly and has 2 copies of his stuff on 2 separate drives, just chuck it and get another one.

Driftwood
16-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I did try the freezing bit, but it didn't help. I just left it ouside overnight, it was -6.
Yes, opening it up would be the only way to change them over. I figure if it's knackered anyway you can't do any more harm.

Gobe1
16-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah ive got one at home that i am going to try once i pluck the courage... Will try the freeze trick first then the dissasemble second.
I pulled a dead one apart at work here once just to check it out, they are very difficult to dissasemble without wrecking the heads. Not sure on how to do this yet, will try google.