PDA

View Full Version : Ethical OS question

RusEvo
15-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Hello,

I have a copy of XP which runs on my 6 or 7 year old Dell. It came with a copy of XP which would load on any machine without problem.

Now I assume that the rule is that this copy of XP must only be used on this computer, and not loaded onto any other machine. But the thing is that over the years I have upgraded a bit here and a bit there and a bit somewhere else.......a few months ago I replaced the only original part....the case itself.

This brings me to the question of whether I am allowed to use XP now that it is a new computer, but one with direct lineage and constant use from the original machine. Am I allowed to use that copy of XP on whatever single computer I own or just the Dell? And at what point did the Dell stop being a Dell?

So really from a legal point of view can my use of the operating system become incorrect if the computer that it originally came with has changed so much?

To complicate matters I bought it in Australia before moving back here!!!!

So whats the deal?

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2009, 10:04 PM
If it came with the Dell its probably an OEM version and maybe tied to that Dell. So, it may install. And it may or may not accept the key or activate

Its not a recovery dvd/cd is it? if it is then it probably wont work on another PC. Only way to find out is to try it and see what happens. It may install on 1 PC but it may not install on more than 1 PC

I spose legally, if it came with the Dell, its meant to stay with the Dell

hueybot3000
15-07-2009, 10:04 PM
The idea is that you run the copy of the OS on ONE pc at a time. With XP it will only let you use one computer if both are on the net, and depending on how much hardware youve changed then maybe itd (the OS) think it was in a different computer and unactivate itself, its happened to me heaps.

Bottom line is you can use your license on whatever pc you like but one at a time

RusEvo
15-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Thats cool.

Just for your info, Ive changed the motherboard once, had a few hard drives, two new cpus and two new graphics card, 2 x new memory....so thats why I always think it would install on anything. Its a ful installation disk.

But that puts my mind at ease that I am not doing anything wrong.

Thanks.

RusEvo
15-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I spose legally, if it came with the Dell, its meant to stay with the DellIf so when did the Dell stop being a Dell?:banana

hueybot3000
15-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Sounds like your the first person in a while whos asked about the rules regarding something and actaully had the right idea :thumbs:

hueybot3000
15-07-2009, 10:34 PM
If so when did the Dell stop being a Dell?:banana

As soon as you replaced the shotty generic components, which is good!

RusEvo
15-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Sounds like your the first person in a while whos asked about the rules regarding something and actaully had the right idea :thumbs:I need to make up for all the times I didnt follow the rules or do things "right".

wainuitech
15-07-2009, 10:51 PM
The Term OEM can be interpreted many ways - lots of people think if you have a OEM licence you can do what you want with it -- Not so - Legally according to MS -the OEM OS comes bundled with the original PC - and is tied to that PC / Hardware --

By rights you are not allowed to transfer OEM OS's to another PC, even if the original has blown up or no longer in use. Retail is a different story - hence it also costs a lot more.

IF you were to build a new PC, and use the Dell product key, if it didn't activate, and you called MS to activate it, AND told them it came with the Dell Originally - they wouldn't activate it - they would tell you that you have to purchase a new License.

Another example - If you take a Dell / HP - use something like magicjelly bean to see the factory product key, you will see its different than the one on the side of the case - if you tried to reinstall using the original factory Key, it wont activate and MS will say its a illegal key.

RusEvo
15-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Right. so there could be a point where the Dell is no longer a Dell? What would that point be? Mobo? CPU?

wainuitech
16-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Thats actually a hard question to answer - maybe this will kind of explain.

The product key when installed looks at codes in the hardware and will then marry up to that hardware. So if you changed a Hard Drive it will have a different code, change the Motherboard, CPU etc the same applies.

Now heres the tricky part - sometimes you can change a Hard drive, and that triggers a hardware change, needs activating etc, other times you can change just about every component and it wont trigger the change.

Heres an example: Last week I cloned a persons drive to save their data before wiping the original drive, when I plugged in the cloned copy to make sure it had copied correctly the PC when starting, said there had been a hardware change since first activated and I had 3 days to activate it.

The original Drive was a Maxtor 80GB - the copy was on a Seagate 80GB.

pctek
16-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Now I assume that the rule is that this copy of XP must only be used on this computer, and not loaded onto any other machine.

This brings me to the question of whether I am allowed to use XP now that it is a new computer

Yes.

According to Microsoft - no. You are supposed to throw it out with your original PC.

However that's MS greed. No other reason you can't use it again. It works.
It might fuss when you activate it but then you are put through to an actual human who asks if it is on one PC or more and why you are reactivating it. You say you are reinstalling and its all happy.