PDA

View Full Version : Can't Delete File!

Active
15-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi, :)
I have a 33GB .avi on my data partition that is refusing to delete. When I try to delete it, the recycling dialogue hangs indefinitely (I've left it going for well over an hour before closing it again). So far I've tried deleting it with Ccleaner by using the 'include' function, deleting it in safe mode, putting it in an individual folder and deleting the folder, dragging to the recycle bin (it's too big for my system partition), deleting it while running a Linux live CD, and it still won't budge! I've Googled it as well without much luck, does anyone know how to get rid of it? Any help would be really appreciated!

btw, running 32 bit Vista Home Premium SP2, fully updated. :thanks

edit: oh, also tried turning off indexing, didn't work either.

beeswax34
15-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Try Unlocker:

http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

Blam
15-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I think the problem is is that it is corrupted possibly.

Unlock will kill any processes using the file, but if you'd booted from a linux live CD and it still didn't delete its unlikely to be that.

Run a chkdsk on the drive the file is on(run>cmd>chkdsk X: /r)

Replace X with the drive letter

Blam

wainuitech
15-07-2009, 07:03 PM
When you ran the linux live CD, did you change the drive properties to writable ?

If you didn't the live CD more than likely is not allowed to remove the file.

Had this happen several times when working with linux Live CD's.

Active
15-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Got it! Ran chkdsk from a restart, after logging in I installed Unlocker (thanks beeswax34, looks like a handy little programme), but before running it thought I'd try and delete it again through Windows and it deleted instantly! You're right it was a corrupt file blam6, but I didn't know to run chkdsk, thanks a bundle for the tip. Thanks also wainuitech, although I have a vague memory that I have changed files while running live CDs before, maybe it depends on the distro. On this occasion I used Knoppix 5. Not sure how to change the drive to writable, may have to have a play around sometime.
Really appreciate everyone's help, it's so satisfying to resolve annoying little issues like that!:clap

wainuitech
15-07-2009, 09:30 PM
To change the drive to writable - In Knoppix 5 right click the drive ( from memory now) change read write properties--- Change to write ( you get a warning) agree -- thats it.