View Full Version : Exchange server problems since moving to Orcon

14-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey guys,

So since we moved our Exchange Server from one site to another (Previously Telecom out south, now out West with Orcon) we've been unable to send.
We can receive just fine, DNS updated almost immediately, ports forwarded correctly etc etc.
We removed ourselves from the Orcon PBL with Spamhaus.
I rang Orcon yesterday to get them to setup a PTR Record just in case also.

So, here's what we get now no matter what address we send to / from:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test Email 14th July #1
Sent: 14/07/2009 8:59 a.m.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'*Removed for Privacy by Chill*' on 14/07/2009 8:59 a.m.
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<%MyDomain% #5.5.0 smtp;550 relaying mail to %DestinationDomain% is not allowed>

The server itself has no other issues, and I seem to remember having a similar problem in the past when I moved another company from one ISP to Orcon, this happened ... Just can't remember for the life of me how it was solved :-/

Any help would be much appreciated.



14-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I would say that you are not using the Orcon SMTP to send with in which case that is why you get relaying not allowed.
If you want to use your own SMTP you will probably need to get a fixed IP from Orcon.

14-07-2009, 10:57 AM
That actually pointed me in the right direction!

I rang Orcon and it turns out that using "smtp.orcon.net.nz" wasnt allowed, but using "mail.orcon.net.nz" was! :D Nice and easy fix (Yeah right! You should see all my hair on the floor from tearing it out).

All Orcon connections get the same IP assigned every time, so while its not completely "static", it never changes unless Orcon see some strange reason why you shouldnt have that IP any more.

Anyways, I'm off to catch up on some emailing!

Thanks :)