PDA

View Full Version : AVG free 8.5.375

slofox
14-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Does AVG 8.5.375 have a firewall component or do you have to use Windows Firewall with it?

Ta.

pctek
14-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Windows Firewall is hopeless.
It is better to use the best of each product.
The best AV is NOD32, the best firewall is COmodo (although horribly unfriendly) or Online Armor.

slofox
14-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Ahhh yep. Thanks for replying.
But in fact that's not what I asked. I just wanted to know about AVG. I'm talking the freeware version here. Does it have a Firewall or not?

wratterus
14-07-2009, 12:19 PM
No it doesn't, and AVG's paid firewall isn't much good. AVG over all is pretty hopeless now, you're much better off with Avast for a free AV solution.

slofox
14-07-2009, 01:03 PM
No it doesn't, and AVG's paid firewall isn't much good. AVG over all is pretty hopeless now, you're much better off with Avast for a free AV solution.

Thanks wratterus.

This is for the home puter which does sod all work and is relatively old and incapable of handling a full modern security system...

Metla
14-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks wratterus.

This is for the home puter which does sod all work and is relatively old and incapable of handling a full modern security system...

Even more reason to ditch AVG and get Avast.

pctek
14-07-2009, 03:03 PM
This is for the home puter which is relatively old and incapable of handling a full modern security system...

Win98 and WinME didn't have a firewall. WIn XP does. If it runs Win XP then it can handle any firewall you install.

I repeat, all in one packages are a waste of time.

Get a decent AV, separately a decent firewall and separaetly again, decent anti-spyware.

WarNox
14-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm a firm believer in free protection :D I use AVG/Zone Alarm and it works great. It also doesn't hog the system like a full on security suite. Although AVG can sometimes be a bit of a nuisance while updating.

I used Comodo for a while because I had an x64 system and Zone Alarm isn't supported.

Comodo asks too many questions, blocks too much stuff and has a rather complicated interface. After a while it became ok but given a choice I'd choose Zone Alarm Free anyday. It works well, learns and isn't too annoying.

I also found that Comodo would sometimes crash and block all connections, without actually telling you.

Tuneznz
15-07-2009, 12:57 AM
WarNox did your av and f/w ever hit anything or get a positive result?

cubanomx
15-07-2009, 05:17 AM
Does AVG 8.5.375 have a firewall component or do you have to use Windows Firewall with it?

Ta.

AVG free do not have a firewall component. You can enable the firewall in your router and in your OS (XP have a limited firewall, Vista have a better one). You can use Comodo or Zonealarm as well.

For additional security remember to update your Windows OS and the most important: do not use an account with administrative privileges.

WarNox
15-07-2009, 09:18 PM
WarNox did your av and f/w ever hit anything or get a positive result?

AVG has found viruses before but nothing serious has ever got me, I am rather carefull though. I do have the firewall on my ADSL enabled but no idea if that does anything.

cubanomx
16-07-2009, 01:49 AM
AVG has found viruses before but nothing serious has ever got me, I am rather carefull though. I do have the firewall on my ADSL enabled but no idea if that does anything.

AVG is good detecting, only once I see one virus not detected by AVG and detected by Mcafee, but the virus was unable to infect my machine because I was following the best practice: I was using an account with limited privileges.

You need to check what kind of firewall have your router, is the firewall is pretty basic, you can install Zonealarm or enable the XP/Vista firewall for improved protection.

gary67
16-07-2009, 06:47 AM
The inbuilt XP firewall is about as useless as AVG is both are crap, Vista's is a bit better but not but too much

Deane F
16-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Last time I cleaned a machine "protected" by fully updated AVG Free antivirus, the NOD32 trial I loaded detected 49 trojans.

After seeing that the person whipped out their credit card and purchased NOD32 online. (And also took a bit more control over what sort of thing the teenage son downloaded...)

cubanomx
16-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Last time I cleaned a machine "protected" by fully updated AVG Free antivirus, the NOD32 trial I loaded detected 49 trojans.

After seeing that the person whipped out their credit card and purchased NOD32 online. (And also took a bit more control over what sort of thing the teenage son downloaded...)

I had excellent results with AVG in the past.... Again: a good protection is not only based on a good antivirus.

Symantec was good in the past, but is too much resource intensive now and I see failing on some detections.

Blam
16-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Norton was never good...

cubanomx
17-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Norton was never good...

Never said that. I managed in 2002 a 3000+ workstation network including 8 symantec servers (with 2 quarantine servers) in 9 states with excelent results. Security was managed in a central console and child servers take care of all problems.

Even "conflictive" users had a tighten security, thanks to an automatic policy applied by Symantec. This was using NAV Corporate.

I don't trust in Symantec anymore... I see failing on detection and taking too much resources.

For now my Nr. 1s is Karpersky and Avast.