PDA

View Full Version : Webpages not loading when using laptop

Beemer
12-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I've tried searching for this problem but can't find anything so here's hoping someone can help.

I've got a Compaq Presario A900 laptop connected to the internet through a wireless modem and until about a week ago, I've not had any problems connecting and viewing web pages. In the past week or so I can connect and open web pages (I'm using Firefox, the latest version), but within half an hour, usually sooner, when I go to post a message on an online forum or just view another web page, I get this message (I was trying to log on to my web mail with Paradise at the time):

"The file jar:file:///C:Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/chrome/en-GB.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertieswww.paradise.net.nz cannot be found. Please check the location and try again."

I got this message on my desktop PC a few months ago when trying to log onto Stuff and when I rang Paradise the guy I spoke to said it was a problem at their end, that sometimes when they updated things they reset the address for Stuff incorrectly, which meant no one using that as their homepage could open it. He went away and was gone for ages, but when he got back he said to leave it for half an hour and it should be fine by then - and it was.

However, surely this problem would be occurring on my desktop as well as my laptop - and as I'm sending this through the desktop, it obviously isn't.

Windows had a diagnostic thing that came up on the laptop and it said the firewall could be causing problems. I have Comodo loaded on there but for some reason the Windows firewall was still operating. I disabled it (turned it off or whatever) and restarted the laptop but I got the same error message when I tried to load a web page. The connection icon is showing on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and it says it is connected, but the pages drop out when I try and post anything or go to another page, or they won't load in the first place.

I don't know if this would have any bearing on the problem, but a fortnight ago some friends came around with a laptop they'd been loaned for an overseas trip. They wanted to see if it would detect wireless networks so they tried it with mine. Unfortunately it kept connecting then dropping the connection on their laptop. I didn't change any settings on my desktop or laptop while they were trying this.

Hopefully someone will have experienced this problem before and will be able to help me fix it as it's really annoying! During winter I use the laptop more than the desktop as I can sit by the fire and surf the net rather than heading into a cold study, so I'd like it fixed please!

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Uninstall askbar. It looks like this can stuff FF up. If that doesnt fix it disable the addons youre using one by one. If disabling one of them fixes it, uninstall it

Beemer
12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I'll give that a try - but can you please help a drongo and tell me how I do that? Ta!

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Go to control panel / add remove programs if youre using XP. Find askbar, uninstall it. Close browsers before you uninstall it. Thats if youre using XP

Beemer
12-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I found it in the meantime - I'm using Vista but it was the same process. I've just done that on the desktop, so I'll go and try it on the laptop and see if that fixes it too.

When I turned on the laptop it loaded Stuff's homepage with no problems - but it usually does that when I first open it anyway. I've gone in and uninstalled the askbar and I'll report back if I have any further problems. Thanks for your (as usual) prompt and helpful advice!

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
No probs :)

feersumendjinn
12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe this'll help
http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=pt-BR&comments_parentId=190999&forumId=1

Beemer
13-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I didn't use the laptop for long last night but the problem didn't appear so hopefully that's fixed it. Don't you just love sneaky little applications you end up with even though you don't remember asking for them!

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Unless you do a custom install (for whatever), programs like askbar will install. Otherwise, you wont know that it did install. But some programs will ask you (they may not have a custom install) if you want to install whatever. You have to watch the screen, (before you click on next), so you can tick / untick, whatever option. So, sometimes its not the program that installs it (without you knowing). Its the user, not watching what they install.

gary67
13-07-2009, 06:29 PM
askbar installs with burnaware free amongst other programmes unless you click the button telling it not to install it during installation of burnaware

Tuneznz
13-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Are you able to ping a website using cmd?

(run>cmd> type 'ping www.google.com')

Beemer
16-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Weird stuff happened when I used the laptop again tonight. First of all it was very slow loading pages when checking my webmail, and it wouldn't open some emails - it just kept going back to the page listing how many emails I had and said 'done' on the bottom taskbar. I'd been using it about half an hour when I tried to open Stuff and it gave me the following message - "www.stuff.co.nz could not be found. Please check the name and try again." I tried typing in the address but got the same message and it wouldn't open PressF1, Google or Trade Me either. I could open another website, although when I clicked back to one of the others and then to that one, it gave me the same 'could not be found' message.

Any suggestions now? I tried what Tuneznz suggested but got this message: 'ping' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

As you can see, the desktop is working fine.

Beemer
16-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Forget what I posted above, I blondely put in the quote marks... it worked fine doing the ping when I removed them!

It came back with the usual ping response messages when I tried it, and after running the laptop as administrator and disabling Windows Defender (which had still be ticked in the startup programmes), I let the laptop shut itself down after installing five updates, then turned it back on again. It connected to Stuff with no problems and has allowed me to view other websites - but whether it will stop doing so after about half an hour as it did before is another question! If it does, I'll report back and see if anyone can come up with any more suggestions.

Beemer
16-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Right, I was able to surf the net for about 20 minutes then when I tried to open Stuff, I got the same message. I tried going back to the site I had been viewing (www.simplesavings.co.nz) and that loaded fine. Back to Stuff and it opened - but not with all the pictures, just a list of all the headlines down the side, and when I clicked on one, it didn't give the normal page that opens. I clicked back to simple savings - no problems. Tried Google, Press F1 and Trade Me - got the error message. Tried www.kiwibiker.co.nz and that opened fine and dandy. Tried Stuff again - got the same weird page as before. Tried clicking on several other websites in my bookmarks and got the same error message.

This only seems to happen on the laptop and only after at least 20 minutes of use. Any ideas on what could be causing it and what I can do to fix it? Is it an ISP problem or a hardware problem? Or something else? I'd really appreciate getting it sorted as I use the laptop quite a lot in the evenings as it's much warmer by the fire than in the study using the desktop!

Edited to add - bizarre - went to the desktop to add last post and when I came back the laptop was sitting on the odd Stuff page. I refreshed the page and voila, normal Stuff! Google loaded fine too, as did Press F1, so it's an even odder problem than before!

feersumendjinn
17-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Try clearing your internet cache, it may be corrupted (this can cause strange symptoms sometimes).
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080323132856AAAknAB
Maybe your wireless adapter in your laptop (and/or modem) reception/transmission is a bit weak (especially seeing as you said this),

I don't know if this would have any bearing on the problem, but a fortnight ago some friends came around with a laptop they'd been loaned for an overseas trip. They wanted to see if it would detect wireless networks so they tried it with mine. Unfortunately it kept connecting then dropping the connection on their laptop.
perhaps this is happening with yours also (momentary dropouts); how far away are you from your modem (compared to the desktop) and how many walls/floors in between? Try the laptop close to the modem, see if it makes any difference.

Beemer
17-07-2009, 07:04 PM
The laptop has always worked well in the lounge or dining room and I've had it for more than a year. Never had a drop out before except when Paradise has had problems and nothing has changed in the house. Wireless modem is in the study and there is only really one wall in between - our kitchen, dining and lounge is open plan and there is no door on the kitchen, which is parallel to the study wall.

I'll try the internet cache thing later, ta.

As for the friends' laptop cutting out, it did that every place they took it to - it would connect then the connection would disappear after a few seconds. It was a really old laptop someone had loaned them for an overseas trip but they ended up buying a new one - and didn't get time to test it at our place.