PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Custom Icon From FlashDrive to PC

minnino
11-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I have a custom .ico file, which is my companies logo.

We are giving flashdrives to our sales reps that they will take with them to clients locations. What is on the flash drive is a .url file (that goes to our company website), the custom .ico file, as well as a few forms (.doc & .xls) all located in a single folder on the flashdrive. When the reps get on the clients machine they are going to be copying the entire contents of the flash drive to the clients desktop (XP or Vista)

With the .url file on the flashdrive we are able to set the icon as our custom .ico file, as opposed to the default IE or Firefox icon. But when moving from the flash drive to the clients PC this custom icon goes away and reverts back to the default IE or Firefox icon.

I have seen ways that allow you to pick which icon will be in use by using shell32.dll and a number, which does not help us since our custom icon is not part of shell32.dll.

Is there a way that will allow us to create a single script that will move the contents of the flash drive (minus the script of course) to a clients desktop and still hold the custom icon file? If there is not a way to do it via a script could this be accomplished by creating a .exe file that when ran will copy the files to the desktop and set the .url file so that it uses the custom icon file, just like when a program installs it can have a custom icon for its shortcut it creates?

Please bare with me im not a big scripting person, and especially not in VB.

But my first question is, can this even be accomplished, or am i starting to fight a loosing battle?

My Second questions is, if this is written in VB can it be run from the flash drive, or would it have to be run from hard drive?

Thanks!!

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Copy the ico files to the hdd and change the icon for IE/FF / whatever. Then it wont change. How many ico files are there? Just 2 for IE and FF, or more?

minnino
11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Well yes, i know that after copying the files over the icon can be changed, i should have mentioned that. the problem comes with the sales reps, they are NOT computer savvy and are lazy! If they have to go in and change the icon manually they will not which defeats the purpose we are going for. This process has to be completed with a little human interaction as possible.

Plus since we are going into clients machine we do not want to make it so that any .url file has our logo, only the one that goes to our website.

Thanks for the post!

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Well the question is, do your clients want it? You could probably do it with a reg or vbs file. Just double click on it and its in the registry. Then it definitely wont change. The easiest way (to do a url) would be make a shortcut for it, then it'll show whatever logo. Too bad if theyre lazy, if they get paid for doing it, they should do it :p If they have no idea what theyre doing, why are they there. Sack em.

minnino
11-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Speed, yes the clients do want it, its more of a marketing thing if any. We want them to be able to see out company logo when they click on this file, not just an IE logo to blend in with all the other web shortcuts on their desktop, make it stand out a bit.

The problem with the sales rep is they can sell the shirt off your back, but when it comes to a PC they can barley find the start button, and they keep our company afloat (go figure).

So if i create a shortcut, that will link to www.whatever, and place it on the flash drive, then change the icon for it using our custom .ico file (also located on the flash), then copy the contents of the flash drive to the clients desktop, the shortcut will hold the same icon as it did when it was on the flash drive?

If that's not the case how would i write a script that would change the icon of the shortcut to our custom one after the file transfer?

thanks for all the info!

bob_doe_nz
11-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Never mind...

I'm reading things wrong.