PDA

View Full Version : Cells leaked in torch - TWICE in 2 weeks

Agent_24
11-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Put 2 brand new Energizers in... a week or so later the torch didn't work and the top cell (bulb end) was leaking

Took them out, threw the leaking one away. Cleaned the torch.

Got some cheap Woolworth's branded ones and put them in.

Worked for about a week then bam! The top cell is leaking again... :illogical

Doesn't make sense that the torch could be doing it, but I highly doubt it's the cells themselves....

Only time I've ever seen cells leak is when they're very old

wmoore
11-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Very strange.
If it is doing it two different brands of battery, then it must be something to do with the torch. What brand of torch is it ? Also were are you storing the torch.
Post some photos...
Very interesting.

george12
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Perhaps the torch is going short circuit sometimes. I imagine that might cause batteries to leak.

R2x1
11-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Rerhaps it is the el-cheapo RS batteries?
Or the Grinch. ;)

Terry Porritt
11-07-2009, 12:50 PM
It may just be coincidence. Actually, leaking cells are not seen so frequently these days, not as frequently as when the zinc outer case was just cardboard covered.

Coincidently, I've just carried out crude discharge tests on "Heavy Duty" AA cells to see how they compare.

Pleomax made by Samsung, $2 for 4 from Price Busters $2 dollar shop,

Camelion also $2 for 4 from the $2 Dollar Shop,

Max-Life, $10 for 20 from SuperCheap Auto,

Panasonic $2.99 for 4 from Countdown.

Used a 4xAA battery holder from DSE and soldered 27 ohm resistors across each cell, and the discharge test lasted for 6 hours.

There was not any significant difference between them, after 1 hour the Pleomax had dropped to 1.38 volts, the others were at 1.41 volts.

After 6 hours, the Pleomax was at 1.25 volts, the others were at 1.28/1.29 volts.

None of this is relevant to the original post :rolleyes:

R2x1
11-07-2009, 12:53 PM
What's relevance got to do with it ? ? ;)

Poppa John
12-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh,Oh Is this the start of the "Leaky Torch Syndrome"? PJ :groan:

R2x1
12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
First bird flu, then swine flu, now something else has to carry the torch.

gary67
13-07-2009, 07:44 AM
I thought it was the olympic flame

johcar
13-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Someone will get a charge out of this thread...

SurferJoe46
13-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Is the problem that you are trying to ignite the batteries? I would guess that any battery would leak when so treated. :mad:

Torches are flame-producing devices (oxy-acetylene-, propane-, butane-. nuclear-, etc)

FLASHLIGHTS on the other hand - use batteries.

TORCH:

# a light usually carried in the hand; consists of some flammable substance
# common mullein: tall-stalked very woolly mullein with densely packed yellow flowers; ancient Greeks and Romans dipped the stalks in tallow for funeral torches (we call them "punks" in the US).
# flashlight: a small portable battery-powered electric lamp
# to burn maliciously (verb), as by arson; "The madman torched the barns"
# blowtorch: a burner that mixes air and gas to produce a very hot flame
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Sweep
13-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Flashlights are often attached to cameras but for some reason we find they only give a heap of light for a short time.

Go learn English as she is spoke here. :-)

R2x1
13-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Flashlights are rather fancy lamps (i.e., an HID lamp fitted to a pushbike.)
We have punks here, but dipping them in tallow and lighting them is largely discouraged under the noise control regulations.

seltsam
13-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Apparently Yanks use 'flashlights' to communicate with each other by morse code ....
Fortunately our comms technology in NZ has advanced beyond that :nerd:

Sweep
13-07-2009, 12:39 PM
And here was me thinking more along the lines of smoke signals.

--Wolf--
13-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I blame Terry for taking this off-topic...

Terry Porritt
13-07-2009, 02:28 PM

:)

"The name flashlight is used mainly in the United States and Canada. In other English-speaking countries, the more common term is torch or electric torch."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashlight

However, we also used the words flashlight or flashlamps as kids in Birmingham 60/70 years ago, so it wasn't just a transatlantic expression.

A bit more.......... Joe Lucas used to make excellent acetylene bicycle lamps, they could flash at times too...

Bicycle lamps, you know, or maybe you dont, those that fitted on a bracket on the steering head, and took 3 volt double Leclanche cells with brass strip connections, we also called flashlamps.

Then after the war the ex-govt. surplus market was flooded with ex army khaki coloured flashlights which had red and green filters that could be slid over the lens. They had buttons for morse code signalling

To finish off.....Bunny Berigan with Bix Beiderbecke's 'Flashes' (http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/ramc/VIC030169.ram)

ubergeek85
13-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Getting back on topic; it could be that the bulb is heating the top contacts to the point where the cells leak, or the bulb is loose, maybe sparking slightly.

R2x1
13-07-2009, 03:40 PM
If I ever get an acetylene bicycle, rest assured, Joe Lucas will be on my mind should I ever require some daylight-only lamps.

Lucas made the first fire extinguisher during their long and fruitless search for a way to make a car ignition system.

Terry Porritt
13-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Getting back on topic; it could be that the bulb is heating the top contacts to the point where the cells leak, or the bulb is loose, maybe sparking slightly.

None of those are remotely possible for causing a cell to leak. Modern cells can be run dead flat and left for yonks without leaking.

It's most likely a coincidence of having two initially faulty cells on the trot.

Richard
13-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the musical clip Terry. I always play these when you post them, and haven't been disappointed yet. :thanks

Terry Porritt
13-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the musical clip Terry. I always play these when you post them, and haven't been disappointed yet. :thanks

You may like Rich Conaty's "The Big Broadcast", a four hour program, playing at this moment. In NZ it is from 12 noon to 4pm on Mondays, depending on daylight saving times in the two countries.

http://www.wfuv.org/programs/bigbroadcast.html

Billy T
13-07-2009, 11:34 PM
None of those are remotely possible for causing a cell to leak. Modern cells can be run dead flat and left for yonks without leaking.

I used to think that too Terry, until some Eveready Energizers leaked like crazy in my favourite Hioki AS100D meter and corroded everything in sight. Sadly it was a terminal case :D and after 25+ years of devoted service it is no more. I had to buy four off TM before I found a good one, but at least I have plenty of spare parts now.

After that experience I checked few more medium to long-term inhabitants and found several cases of terminal corrosion from leakage while the batteries were still performing adequately. One was a two year old camera. I also checked a transistor tester that had positively geriatric alkalines in it and they were still OK and not leaking.

Years ago I visited a Panasonic battery plant in Japan and they delighted in showing us a torch that had a set of batteries from their first production runs over 20 years earlier and it was still working, albeit a bit dim.

Personally, I think that manufacturing quality has gone to the dogs.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
14-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Right Billy, what you say seems to add weight to the problem being initially faulty or poorly made cells.
It sounds like a faulty seal problem around the top cap.

SurferJoe46
15-07-2009, 06:08 AM

I'm so-o-o glad I wasn't the cause this time - although I am sure I added to the general hijacking.

If it helps - I also blame Terry too.

Agent_24
15-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Very strange.
If it is doing it two different brands of battery, then it must be something to do with the torch. What brand of torch is it ? Also were are you storing the torch.
Post some photos...
Very interesting.

I don't know the brand of torch, the label is worn too much. I think it was either Eveready or Energizer.

Only thing I can see special is that it uses a xenon bulb

Storage would be the same as I have done with all torches. Standing on top of something face down (usually a table or other flat surface handy at the time)

SurferJoe46
15-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Storing it on top of a hot stove would do it too. Other than that - I got nothin'.