PDA

View Full Version : No POST screen or Display

gkar
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I thought I would assist a lovely lady I know in doing a basic upgrade of memory in her older Compaq PC. It has a VIA integrated graphics chip & what looks like a proprietary MSI motherboard (MS 639OVER 30B). She has no manual & this particular model's manual is not available online -that I can find. There are MS 6390 ones, but they have a different configuration.

When I first inserted the extra stick of RAM (a stick I had from my old AMD AthlonXP machine which I am as nearly 100% certain as possible is good) into the 2nd memory bank, it was not recognised, but was not quite inserted correctly. I then reinserted it & got absolutely no display: not even POST. After removing the extra stick, the same issue still is present.

I am attempting to connect to my LCD monitor via VGA cable.

What I have tried so far:

-changing the RAM sticks into the 1st bank
-removing all memory to see if the mobo gives beep code, which it does
-removing ALL peripherals, cards & HDDS, CDRW & floppy
-changed VGA cables to ensure it is not faulty

The keyboard does flash caps lock, etc. on initial startup.

In between each attempt at hardware config, I have been clearing what I believe is the CMOS (JBAT1) pins. Also tried removing battery for a time.

I am at a loss what to check next. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :help: Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Remove the CMOS jumper for a min, then put it back. See if it'll post then (after you reconfigure settings in the BIOS, if it comes back on)

beama
10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
HP and compaq are real fussy about RAM ie miss-matched bands.

try putting one or the other in see if it boots then

take the ram out completely and boot you should get a series of beeps that's The P.O.S.T sequence telling you there's no RAM. One of the many checks that is done on P.O.S.T in this case thats want we are looking for because we can say then the Ram bus seems to be ok.

pctek
10-07-2009, 09:59 AM
What I have tried so far:

-changing the RAM sticks into the 1st bank
-removing all memory to see if the mobo gives beep code, which it does
-removing ALL peripherals, cards & HDDS, CDRW & floppy
-changed VGA cables to ensure it is not faulty

In between each attempt at hardware config, I have been clearing what I believe is the CMOS (JBAT1) pins. Also tried removing battery for a time.

Its an MSI 6390 Ver 3.0B (VERSION 3)

PC1600 or PC modules, maximum 2GB.
Single or double sided, doesn't matter.

Good to hear the MB beeps with none. So its not dead then.

Its not propietary either, just a bog standard shitty old MSI.

Its probably what you put in it. DDR266 is what it takes, DDR400 should be be backwards compatible.

I had that recently with a similar model MSI, I left it off for a while, stuck its original ram module back it and it accepted it that time.
Crazy boards.......

gkar
10-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Its an MSI 6390 Ver 3.0B (VERSION 3)I knew that; or I should have worked it out. Just call me Homer: :waughh: DUH!

I had that recently with a similar model MSI, I left it off for a while, stuck its original ram module back it and it accepted it that time.
Crazy boards.......

That worked for me with another PC I helped a mate with a while back. It also worked the first time with this unit. But this one does not seem to be doing it now. Any idea how long I should just leave it?

Its probably what you put in it. DDR266 is what it takes, DDR400 should be be backwards compatible.DDR333 is what it came with & I stuck in a stick of same speed, though different brand.

gkar
10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
One other thing I meant to enquire about. With an LCD, if the monitor is plugged into a PC (via DVI) with the power connected, but not necessarily on, the screen goes into standby mode. But if I try to do the same with VGA, all I get is the moving no signal box. Is this significant? Or is it a difference between dVI & VGA inputs? Cheers.

gkar
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Typical, it was the only manual (version 3) that I had not downloaded.

But I am confused by the below. It goes contrary to everything I have read about NOT powering on a system with the CMOS jumper shorted. I want to confirm this before I try it.

NOTE:
To clear CMOS, first make pin #2-3 short connected after the
system is off. And then power on the system and short connect
pin #1-2 before entering the BIOS (Standard CMOS Features)
to clear data.

My reading of this is you power the PC off, short jumper to pins 2-3 (normal procedure), then power on & put the jumper back to pins 1-2 :illogical

pctek
10-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Any idea how long I should just leave it?

DDR333 is what it came with & I stuck in a stick of same speed, though different brand.

Ah how tempting........Forever?

Well it says 266.

gkar
10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Ah how tempting........Forever?

Well it says 266.
I ain't got thaaaaat long :eek:

Yes, you're right, there. So, how come Compaq put in DDR333 RAM in the first place?

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2009, 06:22 PM
But I am confused by the below. It goes contrary to everything I have read about NOT powering on a system with the CMOS jumper shorted. I want to confirm this before I try it.

My reading of this is you power the PC off, short jumper to pins 2-3 (normal procedure), then power on & put the jumper back to pins 1-2 :illogical

Well it'll boot or it wont. It'll be 1 or the other. Youre not meant to turn it on then put the jumper back on. You turn it off take it off for a min or so, then put it back on. Then press the on button

gkar
10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks. Don't you love manual translations :eek:

gkar
12-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Just a quick word to tie up this thread.

Firstly, thanks for the help: you guys rock -as always.

Turned out it was the RAM; both the existing & the stick I was attempting to add. I remembered -finally- I had some DDR400 sticks from an older HTPC. Put them in & it booted fine :banana.

Thanks again.