PDA

View Full Version : Computer keeps going into Sleep mode

WalOne
09-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Compaq 6000, Windows XP V5.1 SP 3, about 6 years old. System keeps going into "Sleep Mode". Power Options: Turn Off Monitor, Turn off hard disks, System Standby all set to "Never", Hibernate setting not enabled. No new software installed prior to this condition. AVG, Ad-Aware and Trend Micro prove clear of any malware etc.

System will go into Sleep Mode at infrequent intervals - minutes after booting up, or all day without interruption. It can also be left turned on overnight, and operate as normal the following morning - but go into sleep mode minutes after resuming. The Sleep Mode is not always as designed. In what I call true sleep mode, the system shows a flashing green power light, and can be awakened by pressing the power button momentarily. But sometimes, the flashing green light does not operate, and the system can only be restored by holding the power button in for 5 seconds. At which stage the machine turns off, and then can be restarted again with a quick press of the start button.

Infuriating! Can some one suggest a cure? (Cure can not equate to either replacing the tower or costly computer repairs in my circumstances these days :crying )

linw
09-07-2009, 10:53 AM
You just may have to consider the worst as six years and climbing can take its toll.

However, what I would do to start with is unplug it and open it up to check on fans and dust buildup. If you haven't done this periodically it will almost certainly have dust buildup. Use a longish bristled soft brush to get it out from between the heatsink fins and off the fan blades.

Your power supply has been sucking dust through it for six years so it will have dust in it as well. Best you just clear all vents and use the brush to clean the fan blades.

Brush dust from case vents as well.

This needs to be done but may not fix your problem. But do it anyway!

Blam
09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Maybe the PSU has gone crazy...

Look in the event log(run>eventvwr) and see if it tells you what program is causing it, if there is a program causing it.

Blam

WalOne
09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
You just may have to consider the worst as six years and climbing can take its toll.

This needs to be done but may not fix your problem. But do it anyway!

Thanks for this. I invested in a can of Fellowes Duster and cleaned out what I could of the heat sink plus other fans and vents etc. Unfortunately, it didn't help. There doesn't seem to be anything in the event report that identifies a program malfunction.

Can anybody think of other possibiities?

linw
10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Scroll down and look at the second related post.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Has the BIOS ever been updated on it?

WalOne
10-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Scroll down and look at the second related post.

Thanks I did look thru the event report, but nothing identified there as being a problem (that I could readily identify).

WalOne
10-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Has the BIOS ever been updated on it?

Speedy, not to my knowledge (i.e. I wasn't aware unti,un now the Bios needed updating anyway). Can you tell me more?

WalOne
10-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Speedy, not to my knowledge (i.e. I wasn't aware unti,un now the Bios needed updating anyway). Can you tell me more?

unti,un = until now (sorry)

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Well check and see if there's a later version of the BIOS. It may or may not fix some things. I dont know the rest of the specs to this system So, dont know what to look for besides compaq 6000

Phil B
10-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I'd delete all the temp files, clear the prefetch, perform disk cleanup, registry clean & defrag it, reboot & see if that fixes it. That can all be done for free.
Aussie magazines are a good place to get full version programs to do all these. ccleaner is a good place to start

Poppa John
10-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry to be flippant ( not really, just being polite!!), But after an hours work I tend to have a short sleep as well. PJ

Phil B
10-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Go ahead

WalOne
14-07-2009, 03:09 PM
The continuing saga: none of the suggested cures worked, but I became aware of a possible link between this problem and ambient temperature. (Don't ask me how ) :confused:

With the inspection panel of the case removed, I've found that by keeping an oil heater on low and close to the PC, thus raising the temperature inside the case, the problem has stopped. So now, I just time the heater to turn on an hour before I need to use the PC, it boots without problem, and continues without interruption. I did notice once when the door to the house was open, and a cold wind gusted in, the PC did go into sleep mode, but a bit of heat rectified the problem.

:badpc: Sorry, all you high tech guys, this is not exactly scientific. But my PC doesn't know that, and the patient has responded (maybe it's just getting old and needs more warmth and creature comforts, like me :lol:). Can anyone help diagnose this better?

Speedy Gonzales
14-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Has the CMOS battery in it ever been replaced? What videocard drivers are installed?

WalOne
14-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi Speedy, re: BIOS update - where do I check this? re: CMOS Battery, never replaced (but functions seem OK - date/time OK. I'll replace next payday) re: videocard installers - where do I find these specs? Sorry if this is starting to be a bit protracted but I don't know where to start. :o

Speedy Gonzales
14-07-2009, 05:05 PM
You'll have to give us more info on WHAT this PC is. Compaq 6000 what?

There's probably a few 100 or 1000 models with 6000 in it, on the HP site. Does it have anything else before or after the 6000 (like ap, ep, or something)?

The BIOS update (if there is one), will probably be on the HP site. For the video, right mouse on the desktop / properties. Whats it say under settings.

Whats it say under display?? It'll probably show the name of the monitor and the name of the videocard.