PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 6288 DEAD while Software update

Groovvy
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi all, I have had my Nokia 6288 for more than 2 years. Was working fine until 3 months ago and then it started giving me "Simcard registration failed", and not getting some text messages and sometimes the incoming call doesnt work.

As the warranty is expired, i thought i would give it a try by upgrading the software. I had downloaded the nokia software update from Nokia website and connected via USB cable.

Current FW is 5.94. The nokia software has suggested that 6.43 is available for download. So when i clicked "upgrade" it downloaded the software and while upgrading the phone went blank (black screen) and the "The phone is not connected via USB" message came up at the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar.

Im not sure, but seems like my windows USB port suddenly stopped working or something, but the installation was stuck and now my phone is completely DEAD.
It does not turn on at all.

Is there any possibility or anyway i could get around this problem?
I have searched the net and found their is "Phoenix service software".
And i have tried with that software and it didnt work.

I have called the mobile phone repair ppl in auckland and they said it can be fixed for 80$.
But i just want to try and fix it myself. Just to see if it can be done.

Thanks all in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Read some of the FAQ's here (http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/device-software-update/faq#faq12)

Were you using the latest version of the Nokia program?

As it says above

Nokia PC Suite says my device has disconnected. Is this normal?

Older versions of Nokia PC Suite (6.8.3 or older) may show the message "Nokia [model number] disconnected via USB". After the update is completed, the Nokia device will show as connected again.

To rectify this, download and install the latest version of Nokia PC Suite from or www.nokia.com/pcsuite your local Nokia website

You could try this as above

"Phone recovery"

There are two different recovery messages, depending on your Nokia device. Follow the on-screen instructions which will help you establish communication between Nokia Software Updater and your device.

Phone Recovery

* Remove the battery and charger from your device. Disconnect the USB cable.
* Insert the battery and connect the charger. Re-connect the USB cable.
* Press the device's power button for a few seconds.
* Press the device's power button for a few seconds. Click Retry to continue with device recovery.

Phone Recovery

* Remove the battery and charger from your device. Disconnect the USB cable.
* Insert the battery and connect the charger. Re-connect the USB cable.
* Click Retry to continue.
* Press the device's power button.

Or this

My device "died" during an update. What should I do?

Firstly, it is normal for the Nokia device display to go blank during an update.

However, it may be that the Nokia Software Updater application has lost contact with your Nokia device and the device display is suspended.

* Disconnect the Nokia device from the PC's USB cable and remove the device's battery for 5 seconds.
* Re-insert the battery then press and hold the device power button for 1 second.
* Re-connect the Nokia device to the PC's USB cable and wait for 10 seconds.
* Try the Nokia Software Updater again

If there is no response from your Nokia device, try to recover the device by formatting it:

* Press and hold the following device keys: 3, green and *
* Press the device power button for 1 second
* Continue to hold down 3, green and * until you hear the device start-up tone.

If there is still no response:

* Take the Nokia device to your nearest Nokia Care point. If the device is within its warranty period, Nokia will repair the device under the usual warranty terms and conditions.
* Note: If the Nokia device is not within its warranty period, Nokia is not liable for any loss as defined within the End-User Software Agreement. See for www.nokia.com/repair details.

Was the phone fully charged or connected to power before you did the update?

Groovvy
08-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey, speedygonzales. Thanks for the reply.

I had downloaded the latest software from Nokia just before i started the update. So it should be the latest. And it has been charged fully before and also left the charger connected.

I have tried some of the things mentioned in it with no luck.
I will try them all again tonight.

If all the above does not work? Anything else i can do as the warranty has expired.
So it would cost me 80$.
Thanks a lot.

Ninjabear
08-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi all, I have had my Nokia 6288 for more than 2 years. Was working fine until 3 months ago and then it started giving me "Simcard registration failed", and not getting some text messages and sometimes the incoming call doesnt work.

As the warranty is expired, i thought i would give it a try by upgrading the software. I had downloaded the nokia software update from Nokia website and connected via USB cable.

Current FW is 5.94. The nokia software has suggested that 6.43 is available for download. So when i clicked "upgrade" it downloaded the software and while upgrading the phone went blank (black screen) and the "The phone is not connected via USB" message came up at the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar.

Im not sure, but seems like my windows USB port suddenly stopped working or something, but the installation was stuck and now my phone is completely DEAD.
It does not turn on at all.

Is there any possibility or anyway i could get around this problem?
I have searched the net and found their is "Phoenix service software".
And i have tried with that software and it didnt work.

I have called the mobile phone repair ppl in auckland and they said it can be fixed for 80$.
But i just want to try and fix it myself. Just to see if it can be done.

Thanks all in advance.

The mobile is suppose to turn off and goes black during the updating phase. After about 10 seconds it boots back up. If your cellphone is disconnected during the update it will most probably die.

Only way is to send it for repair