PDA

View Full Version : VPN Services From Overseas

notalot
07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi. I spend alot of time overseas and some websites only allow you to access content if your IP address is from within NZ or block such applications as Skype within their countries. I believe one way around this is to organise some sort of VPN service which makes it as if you are accessing the web from NZ.

Does anyone have any ideas/experience with this or any other concepts which could make it work?

Thanks.

gary67
07-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I think you need a domain name hosted site first, not sure though wait for someone with more knowledge to drop in

somebody
07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I think you need a domain name hosted site first, not sure though wait for someone with more knowledge to drop in

Not quite.

notalot: Yes, your suggestion of using a VPN is probably the most reliable. You could also use a NZ based proxy server, but bear in mind that some sites block known proxys. I'm not aware of any NZ based VPN services - maybe someone else has had some experiences with them?

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Easiest solution would (If you can afford the cost) get yourself a VPS with somebody such as SiteHost and use that :)

somebody
09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Easiest solution would (If you can afford the cost) get yourself a VPS with somebody such as SiteHost and use that :)

What are you doing online? You should be off enjoying your honeymoon!

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Haha yeah I've been popping on even while on my Honeymoon, just chosen not to post until now. Luckily Mrs Chill doesn't mind me hooking up the iPhone to her EeePC and tethering it, especially as she can then check Facebook and see the wedding pix ;)

ronyville
09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
and see the wedding pix ;)

Can we also see some weddings pics :p