PDA

View Full Version : New PC advice

Chikara
07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

I was planning on replacing my PC later this year when Win 7 comes out. Current PC is old (Athlon 1400).
I've just found out that I'll be getting a transfer to Singapore for the next ~2 years with my employer, then coming back home to NZ.
So, I'd like your advice please on what to do for a new PC.

I'm assuming PC prices (both new systems, and components) are cheaper in Singapore, than here? So would I be better off to get something there, or would it be cheaper to get it here and take it with me?
If getting one there, has anyone had experience with good dealers?

Also, would you recommend a desktop or laptop?
My requirements are:
- Will be doing audio and some video editing
- Will need lots of storage space, as I have a number of audio concert recordings I want to store on HD in .wav format (but, it doesn't matter if these are stored on seperate external drive or not)
- Need something that will have a good quality sound card capable of recording line-in signals with excellent good quality. (Also, quite like in the future to experiment with plugging my guitar into the PC and recording some stuff that way. I'm just an amateur though)
- Also quite like to play games on it. Don't necessarily need the top of the range, absolute best performance, but something that will be able to comfortable handle modern games

I suppose the advantage with a laptop is, I can take it with me when travelling, and easily bring it back with me to NZ at the end of my time in Singapore. But I'm guessing to do all of the above, I'd be looking at mega $$?

The advantage of the desktop is, I should be able to get all of the above features for a lot less, but of course it's not so easy to bring back with me when I return home at the end of my time there.

I don't have a set budget, happy to be guided by suggestions first and then look at the cost afterwards.

Note, there's pretty much nothing on my current system I'd re-use. Maybe just the printer and speakers. Everything else would need replacing. Even the monitor is an old CRT 17" full of scratches, so I'd basically be getting every component again.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Blam
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
You'd probably want a desktop.

Shouldn't be too hard to bring back, just keep all the boxes then disassemble everything.

Parts should be much cheaper in Singapore.

Here's what I've come up with:

CPU: Q9400
RAM: 4gb Corsair DDR2 1066
HDD: 2x1TB Western Digitals in RAID1
HDD2: 1x500gb WD
DVD: Asus/Liteon
GFX: 4870
MOBO: P5Q Pro
PSU: Corsair HX620 620W Modular Power Supply

Altogether I'd guess it comes to less that $2000

IF you want it to last I while I would probably get an i7 instead or wait for the i5/i3...for sound/video editing it should make quite a difference..

And maybe throw in an LG or Viewsonic 22" FUll HD screen...

BLam

PCT Joe
07-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Shouldn't be too hard to bring back, just keep all the boxes then disassemble everything.

BLam

+1, However the new i3, i5's and 1.7's are coming out soon so wait, you may instead chose to get a 920 or a better quad than that for cheaper.

EDIT: Whats your budget?!?!

Blam
07-07-2009, 03:31 PM
+1, Howevefr the new i3, i5's and 1.7's are coming out soon so wait, you may instead chose to get a 920 or a better quad than that for cheaper.

I'd edited 1 minute before you'd posted;)

Chikara
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I probably won't be going over there until September, when are the new CPU's meant to be coming out?
No set budget at the moment, I'd like to see what everyone recommends first based on the best to do the job, then I'll look at the cost at the end.
But, my old system has lasted me many years so I think I deserve to have a bit of a splurge on this one!

Chikara
07-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Also, would the on-board sound be sufficient? Or would you recommend I look at a seperate soundcard? I need to be able to record incoming signals in excellent quality

EDIT - also, forgot to mention I'm quite keen to look at 64bit for this new system too

Blam
07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Early september AFAIK...

Most boards offer excellent integrated sound already...

64bit would be a good choice with all that video and sound editing.

How about dual booting? 32bit for gaming and 64bit for video/sound work..

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2009, 03:49 PM
64 bit would only be good IF the program you use is also 64 bit. Using a 32 bit program would be like a bottleneck. Even tho the OS is 64 bit, the 32 bit program limitation will kick in (one being files cant exceed 3 GB so I've read). Which I think I've come across. Ive used videostudio in 64 bit, tried to edit a video file which was around 3 gb, or just over. Videostudio kept closing on me.

Chikara
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
64 bit would only be good IF the program you use is also 64 bit. Using a 32 bit program would be like a bottleneck. Even tho the OS is 64 bit, the 32 bit program limitation will kick in (one being files cant exceed 3 GB so I've read). Which I think I've come across. Ive used videostudio in 64 bit, tried to edit a video file which was around 3 gb, or just over. Videostudio kept closing on me.

But running a 32bit application in a 64bit environment, is pretty much the same as running it directly in a 32bit environment, isn't it?
So really, assuming all the drivers I need would be available in 64bit, there seems to be lots of pros and not many cons to 64bit?

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Well true running 32 bit programs in 64 bit is the same as running in 32 bit windows. It still installs (unless the 32 bit program installs some kind of driver which isnt 64 bit, then it wont work). Only diff is, 64 bit can use more ram than 32 bit windows can.

But running 32 bit programs (if youre into video editing, if you edit files above 3 GB, you may run into probs, you may not finish (editing whatever). Thats right as long as you've got 64 bit drivers (for whatever devices you've got), its sweet. I'm running 64 bit here. So far so good, the only thing that doesnt work is CA Magic (a program that came with the bluetooth adapter I brought). The drivers are fine, but the program doesnt work in 64 bit. So, I chucked it on the other PC here (which has XP on it).

As long as the devices / mobo etc are pretty recent, they'll probably support 64 bit (and there will be drivers for it)

Chikara
07-07-2009, 05:59 PM

IF you want it to last I while I would probably get an i7 instead or wait for the i5/i3...for sound/video editing it should make quite a difference..

BLam

I'm a bit confused by the HD setup recommended...
RAID1 mirrors each other, so what would the benefit of that setup, PLUS the third HD be??

Blam
07-07-2009, 06:02 PM
It would mean if one failed you'd still have one left!

The 3rd HD is for the SYSTEM, while the 1TBs are for DATA

Chikara
07-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Ahh.... gotcha.....so OS and all applications on the 500GB drive (not backed up - which is fine as I can reinstall from discs), and data on the RAID1setup which of course is protected from drive fail because of the RAID config. Makes sense!

SolMiester
07-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Early september AFAIK...

Most boards offer excellent integrated sound already...

64bit would be a good choice with all that video and sound editing.

How about dual booting? 32bit for gaming and 64bit for video/sound work..

Errrm, LOL....I think gaming on x64 will probably do it!

SolMiester
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM
If i were you, I would see how cheap you can get SSD drives over there, check the prices here 1st....

bk T
07-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I would suggest you buy it from Singapore - there are much, much more options for you to choose from. Just go to : Sim Lim Square Building, 1 Rochor Cannal Road. There are > 100 computer shops under one roof for you to pick and choose.

Funan Centre in North Bridge Road is another place you shouldn't miss when you are there!

Good luck.

Blam
07-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Errrm, LOL....I think gaming on x64 will probably do it!

I've run into quite a few games that don't work properly on x64..

Chikara
07-07-2009, 07:25 PM

Really? I thought that as far as games or applications go, anything that was 32bit would still run okay on a 64bit system too, even if the application itself wasn't optimised for 64bit?

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Programs may run fine, BUT if it installs some kind of driver (and its not signed and 64 bit) Vista will complain, or a window will appear saying so. It may or may not run later, but it may also cause probs (ie: crash the system), if you load the driver. I havent come across any games yet (well I've got stuff all to install anyway). I tried gears of war the other day tho, it was fine

SolMiester
07-07-2009, 10:31 PM

Only ones I know of are over 6 yrs old, or have old 16bit installer, and thats not many

Chikara
08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
And, what would be the best/easiest way of me moving everything over from one system to the other? Bearing in mind I'll buy the new system there but not take my old one with me.
Would the best way be - to copy all data onto an external drive, and take that with me, plus all the original installation discs I'll need to reinstall programs? Is there any better way?

Blam
08-07-2009, 02:41 PM
You could clone it over.

Kinda like taking a "picture" of the hard drive then restoring it on another.

Options could be the Seagate/Acronis Bootable CD(free) or Macrium reflect.

Self Image, or DriveImageXML

Blam

Chikara
08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I thought about that, but as I would be moving it to a whole new system with new hardware, would that still work?

Blam
08-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I thought about that, but as I would be moving it to a whole new system with new hardware, would that still work?

With Vista I've had about a 90% success rate, much better than XP, so 7 might be even better

SolMiester
08-07-2009, 05:43 PM
meh, you will have to uninstall all vendor specific software and drivers from within device manager 1st, dont reboot, change all drivers to generic, so when the image is copied and dumped on the new drive, windows will search and prompt for drivers...however if the new device uses SATA, you may have issues....

Chikara
08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
meh, you will have to uninstall all vendor specific software and drivers from within device manager 1st, dont reboot, change all drivers to generic, so when the image is copied and dumped on the new drive, windows will search and prompt for drivers...however if the new device uses SATA, you may have issues....

Yeah, sounds a bit too complicated and prone to not working, I think I might just have to copy my data across to an external, and then reinstall all the apps on the new PC and then copy the data onto it.

linw
09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah, sounds a bit too complicated and prone to not working, I think I might just have to copy my data across to an external, and then reinstall all the apps on the new PC and then copy the data onto it.

What have you got to lose by trying a clone job? I have had several clone jobs go well, including with XP. Do what Solmiester says and give it a go. But mine also worked without going to generic drivers.