PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

JJJJJ
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I am about to order a new computer and I need some advice on the o/s.
32 or 64 bit ?
I will install windows 7 RC 1 on it initially. I am currently running 64 bit and am not happy with the work around with drivers. As I see it, the only advantage with 64 bit is that it recognises all my ram.
Does anyone know how win 7 32 bit will handle 12 gigs of ram?
Jack

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
No version of windows 32 bit will recognise 12 gb. If 32 bit could handle 12 gb, there wouldnt be a 64 bit version

wratterus
07-07-2009, 10:22 AM
32bit Windows sees a total of 4GB of memory. This includes physical memory, graphics memory, and anything else on the motherboard.

Depending on your graphics card, you can expect to see anything between 2.25GB and 3.5GB RAM with a 32bit OS.

You'll need to move to 64bit.

pctek
07-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I am about to order a new computer and I need some advice on the o/s.
32 or 64 bit ?
I will install windows 7 RC 1 on it initially. I am currently running 64 bit and am not happy with the work around with drivers. As I see it, the only advantage with 64 bit is that it recognises all my ram.
Does anyone know how win 7 32 bit will handle 12 gigs of ram?
Jack

64bit. Win7.
Two things with RAM - one is the motherboard, the Core i7 boards will take 12GB OK, RAM is dependant on the board. For instance my socket 775 only takes a maximum of 8GB.

The second is the o/s.
All 64-bit versions of Microsoft operating systems currently impose a 16 TB limit on address space. Processes created on the 64-bit editions of Windows Vista can have 8 TB in virtual memory for user processes and 8 TB for kernel processes to create a virtual memory of 16 TB.
In terms of physical memory Windows Vista 64-Bit Basic supports up to 8 GB of RAM, Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium supports up to 16 GB of RAM, and Windows Vista 64-Bit Business/Enterprise/Ultimate supports up to 128 GB of RAM.

Driver support is always iffy to begin with - that will change, remember XP had driver problems when it was new too.

It would be silly to go with anything other than Win7 - you ARE a gamer remember, even if it is just MSFS. And 64bit for the RAM.

SolMiester
07-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Jack, are you going to get the solid state drives, or are you going to waste all that dosh on the flagship i7 cpu?.....please say you aren't.....I detest waste!

JJJJJ
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Jack, are you going to get the solid state drives, or are you going to waste all that dosh on the flagship i7 cpu?.....please say you aren't.....I detest waste!

Yes I am.
I hate waste too, but I am just on 80 years old and this will be my last computer.
At the moment I have decided on a 250 gig OCZ SSD and a 300 gig Veloraptor
In Raid.

One Question. Can the SSD be partitioned?

Who wants to assemble it for me?

SolMiester
07-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes I am.
I hate waste too, but I am just on 80 years old and this will be my last computer.
In Raid.

Jack....you cant RAID those to different drives...i would use the OCZ SSD as o/s and run images to an old storgae drive you current have, then the raptor for games....will be sweet...yes you can partition the SSD, though would recommend it...

Are you using the same case and o/s install as you currently have or are you starting again?

qazwsxokmijn
07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Yes I am.
In Raid.

Betcha everyone would want to raise their salivated hands up. :D
If you're in Auckland I might help out.

Are you trying to RAID the SSD with the Velociraptor? That's not possible Jack. Have to get 2 or more of the same stuff.

Blam
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
How about this Jack?
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=508&t=26

And 12gb of RAM is overkill unless you run ALOT of VMs....6gb would be enough.

How about 2 raptors in RADI0?

Blam

pctek
07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I am just on 80 years old and this will be my last computer.

Hmm. So when you turn 90 you'll still have this one?

I would, but it wouldn't be practical - I'm too far from you.

SolMiester
07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, 12GB is OTT, 6GB is more than enough, and as Blam6 suggested Raid 2 Raptors, but i would RAID1 instead of RAID0, better read performance then write...and if the array is for games, you will want the best level loading....

Sweep
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
I can put the new rig together if Jack wants.
About 40 minutes from where I live to where he is.

JJJJJ
07-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Hmm. So when you turn 90 you'll still have this one?

That's right. If I were to live another 10 years I wouldn't have any money to buy food, never mind a computer

jwil1
07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah, 12GB is OTT, 6GB is more than enough,

+1

I was running 5 VMs simultaneously at one point on my desktop (with 1GB of RAM each) as an experiment and the machine barely broke a sweat! :D

JJJJJ
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I can put the new rig together if Jack wants.
About 40 minutes from where I live to where he is.

Thanks for the offer,mate. I may call on you. At the moment I am waiting for a price to supply and build. See how much they can beat Ascent's price by before I will know

Sweep
07-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I would suggest you PM me if you want my help to put the parts together.

pctek
08-07-2009, 08:07 AM
That's right. If I were to live another 10 years I wouldn't have any money to buy food, never mind a computer

A slight exaggeration I'm sure.
However if you have decided it's the last, then get the 12GB of RAM as well, the core i7 and the best graphics there is. And Win7 64bit. Might as well make it as future proof as it can get..........