PDA

View Full Version : Adding computer to network?

Billy T
06-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Team

Following the rebuild of my recently deceased computer, I am still finding functions that need to be reinstalled etc. Most I can fix without problems but I'm darned if I can remember how to get my Toshiba Portege laptop and main computer sharing again, which also means the other two computers on my network (a Toshiba Libretto mini notebook and a my son's computer) are also inaccessible, which is a bummer because I do a lot of file swaps and general data sharing between them

I've looked through the various network setting but can't see what I have to do, though I recall that it was a fairly straightforward process and didn't take long to do. At present both the Portege and the main computer are on-line and accessing the net via the network switch, but neither can see the other.

Any advice would be appreciated, but probably needs to be step by step as I'm not at all familiar with networking because I haven't had to touch it for years since I originally set it all up.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Forgot to mention, I looked at the Wizard of course, but it didn't have a LAN option that I could see.

Erayd
06-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Are they both in the same workgroup? This is required if you want them to automatically see each other without having to browse through all kinds of weird places, or access them via the run box.

Can you access them via the run box / address bar using \\ip.ad.dr.ess\sharename?

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Give them manual ips and give them the same workgroup name. And share a folder, if you want to share one. And if theres a firewall somewhere (besides windows), remember to configure that

Billy T
06-07-2009, 11:17 AM
They all have individual IP's, though the rebuilt comp will probably need resetting so where do I go to do this?

I now remember that I originally set up sharing as you describe Speedy, but what is my entry point for that too? I assume that I don't need the network Wizard for any of this?

I get a horrible feeling that I once knew a heck of a lot more than I do now. Disuse of skills is a terrible thing, but my system has been 100% reliable for so long that there are a lot of things I haven't looked at or used in years. Some I have made notes for in a special computer data file, but not this.

Guess what I'll be doing as soon as I get it up and running again!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thanks

wainuitech
06-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Dont use the network wizard - its crap.

Assuming its XP -- Right click on My Computer / Properties/Computer Name Tab / Change Workgroup to match others.- Reboot.

Find out what the Router IP gateway is -- then open the control Panel / Network Connections - right click Local area connection -- Click TCP/IP, then properties.

Edited: to find gateway, on working PC, click start/run type in cmd <enter> type in ipconfig -- gate way will display.

Add in the details, use a static IP, same numbers as the gateway, eg: ( sample gateway - yours may be different) 192.168.1.1 with IP changed in the last number, Eg: 192.168.1.25 -- add in your ISP's DNS servers. Note: if PC's have static IP's the last number MUST be different to every other PC, cant have two PC's with same static IP.

To share folders, right click a folder, Sharing and Security , share folder, also allow network users to change -- If you get a pop up warning box, click - allow sharing ( words to that effect) -- Pays to reboot -- and you should now be sharing on th LAN.

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Nah dont use the wizard, its hopeless. What do you mean by reset?? Just go into its LAN properties, and give it an ip and if youre using a router, put the routers ip in for the gateway and Primary DNS server

All I do is:

1. Install the LAN drivers (obviously)

2. Go into the LAN properties / TCP/IP, give them ips instead of leaving it on auto, put the DNS server ips etc in

3. Create a folder (then share it)

4. Give all of them, the same workgroup name

I dont have firewalls (besides windows), so dont have to worry about configuring that.

Thats all I do, all can get on the net, all can share a folder. Also if youre using a router, remember to use ips within the router's valid ip range

Billy T
06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks Speedy, that stirs a lot of decaying memory cells and reminds me of the basics. It is W2K actually, I won't move to XP until I get my new computer, but that won't happen until I earn a bit more money, which I am not doing while playing around with broken computers unfortunately.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

stu161204
06-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I won't move to XP until I get my new computer

It might be Win7 :)

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2009, 03:29 PM
What are the other computers running then? 2K as well?