PDA

View Full Version : iPhonies

ubergeek85
05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi all. I might be getting a new cell phone soon, probably one of those iPhonies. Does anyone know what they're like? Easy to hack? Any pitfalls to watch out for (other than the warranty)? Thanks.

Nomad
05-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Just out of interest, some devices the touch screen isn't great like on my Navman - car GPS unit, how is the touch screen like on the iPods? Is it good? I met a German traveler overseas and he said othe than $$ for what it is, he said it can be slow and sometimes you need to stab at the screen .....

Not buying but just curious about them.

lagbort
05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Having had multiple touch screen devices; a samsung touch screen phone, a garmin touch screen GPS, a blackberry mobile, and now having used my mothers new HTC magic phone. My iPod touch blows them all away in terms of the quality of its touch screen, it is far more responsive and accurate than any of the others.

The stabbing issue comes from a build up of grease and gunk on the screen and will happen with any touch screen device if not cleaned, however the new iPhones ( and more than likely the new touches later this year ) are supposed to have an anti grease coating which from early indications appears to solve this issue.

N.B. this isnt an endorsement of the iPod touch/iPhone as a whole just a comment on the quality of various touch screens.

johcar
05-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Having had multiple touch screen devices; a samsung touch screen phone, a garmin touch screen GPS, a blackberry mobile, and now having used my mothers new HTC magic phone. My iPod touch blows them all away in terms of the quality of its touch screen, it is far more responsive and accurate than any of the others.

The stabbing issue comes from a build up of grease and gunk on the screen and will happen with any touch screen device if not cleaned, however the new iPhones ( and more than likely the new touches later this year ) are supposed to have an anti grease coating which from early indications appears to solve this issue.

N.B. this isnt an endorsement of the iPod touch/iPhone as a whole just a comment on the quality of various touch screens.

I would dispute this statement - never had any problem with any of the Palm devices I have owned over the years. But then Palm uses a different touchscreen technology...resistive rather than capacitive.

lagbort
06-07-2009, 12:12 AM
I would dispute this statement - never had any problem with any of the Palm devices I have owned over the years. But then Palm uses a different touchscreen technology...resistive rather than capacitive.

Actually now that you mention it I had forgotten about my old palm :p, yes those did seem to be quite resistant to grease, but they were nowhere near as accurate or responsive as current models.

nofam
06-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Just out of interest, some devices the touch screen isn't great like on my Navman - car GPS unit, how is the touch screen like on the iPods? Is it good? I met a German traveler overseas and he said othe than $$ for what it is, he said it can be slow and sometimes you need to stab at the screen .....

Not buying but just curious about them.

The only touch screen I've used on a phone is SWMBO's LG KU990 Viewty, and it's fantastic - it's Haptic-enabled, so the phone gives a wee buzz when you press a key, and once you get used to it, it's as quick as a regular phone.

Only downside is that it's much harder to txt while you drive. . . . . . not that you should do that. . . . .ever. . . . . .'k bye :rolleyes:

Nermal
06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I've had an iPod Touch for about 18 months. My dad recently bought a Nokia 5800 with touchscreen and it's awful compared to the iPod; it's more of a "press-screen" than a touchscreen. The iPod screen seems to pick up everything :)