PDA

View Full Version : Password for broadband internet access

stevensaaron
04-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi, I have broadband with a Linksys WAG200G Wireless Router. I want to know if there is any way to set up a password so that when we want to access the internet (e.g Internet Explorer, Firefox, Email, etc.) we would need to put that password in.

I want to be able to set-up a password, so that the kids can still use the computer, but still access the internet if i enter the password. if you understand what i am trying to say.

Safari
05-07-2009, 12:02 AM
If the kids are connecting by wireless you should have your wireless security setup in the router with a password so the computer will only connect when the wireless key is entered.

stevensaaron
05-07-2009, 12:09 AM
no, this is on the main computer, it is connected via the ethernet cable.

If i am not able to do this, is there any way to set up a user account and choose what programs they can access. i am using windows XP.
This would be a last resort.

I would prefer to be able to have a password for the internet, similar to the old dial up login. So that i don't have to switch users if the kids need to use the net for research.

or if there is an add-in program that can control internet access.

pctek
05-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Then make the main computer wireless too.

ronyville
05-07-2009, 08:45 AM
How old are you kids? Do they know much about IE LAN settings? You could set the LAN settings for IE to go through a proxy that doesnt exit, so they wont be able to connect to the net. In IE go to Tools -> Internet Option -> Connections -> LAN Settings and just tick the proxy option and type in 0.0.0.0. See attachment below. This will not let the kids surf the net. But keep in mind as not to show them this changes or they can easily undo them if you are not around. Hope this helps in anyway.

wainuitech
05-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Theres many ways to do what you want, just depending on how much mucking about you want to do.

Theres simple programs like Internet Lock (http://leithauserresearch.com/Internet_Password_Lock.html) - While not free, its cheap.

If you are using IE you can block so you have to type in a password for every page, or certain pages.

wainuitech
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Opps - got that name wrong :p Its "Internet Password Lock", doesn't matter will do what you want.

There is one called Internet Lock (http://www.toplang.com/internetlock.htm) as well.

kennie
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
why not just password protect your account? Then when it is their computer time you can login for them.

stevensaaron
05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
We homeschool them and so they can use the computer for games and school work etc, so it would become a pain if they were doing a project and needed info from the internet, for me to have to switch users and login to my acc. i just thought there might be a setting or program that might do the job, i will try the ones suggested, if you have any more suggestions, they would be much appreciated. thanks