PDA

View Full Version : Oh bummer!

Greg
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
One of my brothers is a scientist, and he comprehensivly investigated the cause of my mum's recent death.

I have the same symptoms as she had before she died.

The condition is called something like cardio asthma. It means something like theres too much fluid in the lungs which ultimately makes your heart stop beating.

In her case it was a result of her years of smoking cigs.

If you smoke... give it up!

I'm gonna give it my best else you probably won't be hearing too much more from me.

Drat.

Deane F
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Good luck giving up.

qazwsxokmijn
04-07-2009, 11:06 PM
You better give it up Greg....if you want to see your granddaughter get married. My father has stopped for nearly a year now. I reckon he's much better now.

Myth
05-07-2009, 12:06 AM
All the best giving up. I know its not easy.

Im now past 5 years since my last cigarette. Don't miss it.
(can still roll though, I practice once in a while on others tobacco. Don't feel any inclination to light up however :D)

zqwerty
05-07-2009, 01:59 AM
I've just given up after smoking for 40 years, not really very difficult but I really miss the rituals and the actual process of smoking. It isn't really the urge to smoke tobacco just that I feel continuously unsatisfied and bored all the time. My mind is over active which smoking used to slow down (cuts off oxygen to the brain I believe) and I dream much more at night which makes me wake up tired every morning.

I'd love to start smoking again but I know I am too old now to indulge myself anymore.

pctek
05-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Cardiac asthma isn't asthma in its true sense. It's wheezing due to congestive heart failure.

Cardiac asthma is a clinical condition caused by severe reflexive blocking and/or by edema of the lungs. The bronchial spasm in cardiac asthma is caused by back pressure from the left side of the heart to the lungs (the left part of the heart has a sudden disproportion between its work load and work capacity).

Patients with heart failure or heart valves that do not open properly experience shortness of breath, wheezing and coughing.

Cardiac asthma is usually due to a major mechanical fault of the heart and may pose to be life threatening, if not checked at the right time.

In this kind of asthma, the reduced pumping efficacy of the heart leads to a build up of fluid in the lungs. This build up of the fluid causes the air passages to narrow up and eventually cause wheezing and other related symptoms.

Symptoms usually occur with exercise or at night after going to bed. Excessive fluid in the lungs associated with heart failure causes symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing, which imitate asthma.

Both cardiac asthma and pulmonary edema are symptoms of coming heart failure.

* Shortness of breath, not necessarily accompanied by wheezing.
* Increased rapid and superficial breathing.
* Increased blood pressure and heart beat rate.
* Cardiac asthmatic people wake up breathless a few hours after sleeping, and have to sit upright to again properly breathe. This is due to lying down too long.
* Swollen ankles which worsen rapidly during the stretch of the day.

Treatment is directed at improving the pump function of the heart along with medications. If the asthma is caused by a heart valve that is not working properly or a hole between the heart chambers, surgery or other procedures may be suggested.

Treatment of heart failure involves using diuretics (water pills) to free the lungs of excess fluid and medications to help the heart muscles pump more effectively. When the heart failure has been well controlled, the wheezing will gradually stop.

Cardiac asthma usually occurs in elderly people who have wheezing and shortness of breath that are due to heart failure. When the heart is too weak to pump blood effectively, fluid will accumulate in the lungs. Fluid in the lungs causes shortness of breath and wheezing.

And those who say it is easy to give up smoking, didn't smoke much to begin with.

Metla
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
And those who say it is easy to give up smoking, didn't smoke much to begin with.

Does 10 packs of Winnie reds a week for 17 years meet the criteria?

Giving up is easy, Make the decision and stick with it.

R2x1
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Giving up smoking IS easy, I did it hundreds of times spread over 45 years or so. Last time, (About 2 1/2 years ago), SWMBO asked "Why you smoke?" Didn't find an answer, so I stopped. Pig farms smell a lot stronger than they used to, and poultry farms too. However, the money saved does buy a substantial amount of toys :D

Deane F
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Well Greg - have you had your last smoke yet? When was it? Have you thrown away the packet? Or are you just gonna finish this one first...? ;)

pctek
05-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Does 10 packs of Winnie reds a week for 17 years meet the criteria?

No

Poppa John
05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I guess I was lucky then, I never really started. (there is a story behind that but I wont bore you.
As to the lungs. I carry spinal cord fluid in the right lung sac, anywhere between 1/4 & 1/3 full, continuous. PJ

george12
05-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Bought a pack of cigarettes, smoked about 1 a day for a week, and could feel myself getting addicted just from that. I just threw it out and didn't buy any more.

I have never and will never buy a pack again, and still feel the mild desire to smoke occasionally, and that was a year ago. Scary! I figured that if I could begin to get addicted that easily it would surely become a lifetime pack-a-day habit I might never get out of.

The problem was I liked it, it was nice and relaxing etc.

Before that experience I had no idea of the addictive power of them.

Poppa John
05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
george12...Try a cup of tea instead!! Works for me. PJ

hueybot3000
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I figure that my body can handle a few more years of smokin yet, its only had 2 so far.

ABout 40 seems to be the age to quit, i know quite a few people that quit at 40 and are healthy as at 60-70.

prefect
05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
As well as killing you it costs a lot of money.
I suppose only people with money to burn can afford to smoke.
Non smokers have urges to, I quite often I have the urge to smash smokers in the face with a crowbar when I get to inhale their second hand smoke.

hueybot3000
05-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Im broke but I still afford it

gary67
05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
As well as killing you it costs a lot of money.
I suppose only people with money to burn can afford to smoke.
Non smokers have urges to, I quite often I have the urge to smash smokers in the face with a crowbar when I get to inhale their second hand smoke.

X2

Spotted years ago don't remember where.

Please don't smoke in my office it has nasty side effects the smoke permeates the air, it also permeates my hair and clothes. The smell is appalling and it makes me feel sick.

I have a vice too, I like to drink alcohol it to has a side effect it makes me pee. Now this side effect only effects those who partake, so if I stood on a chair and peed on your hair or your clothes they way smoking invades them I guess you would not be happy.

So please don't smoke in my office :stare:

That's not the completely accurate version but as close as I can remember it.

Billy T
05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I figure that my body can handle a few more years of smokin yet, its only had 2 so far.

ABout 40 seems to be the age to quit, i know quite a few people that quit at 40 and are healthy as at 60-70.Cemeteries are loaded with people who thought like you, it didn't work for them either.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

People don't smoke, cigarettes do. People are just the suckers at the other end.

Metla
05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Unlike the non-smokers who live forever?

johcar
05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Unlike the non-smokers who live forever?

We might not live forever, but we smell better (and can actually taste our food!!!)

hueybot3000
05-07-2009, 11:54 PM
We might not live forever, but we smell better (and can actually taste our food!!!)

So? I can enjoy veges more which means in some ways im healthier!

Metla
05-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Smokers do indeed stink. Horrible stench.

Ofthesea
06-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Actually it's really hard to give up smoking, it's really addictive, glad I'm not a smoker as its not a nice way to go . Its obviously worrying you. Good luck with your decision.

R2x1
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by johcar

Smokers have a definite advantage at McDonalds then. ;)

Greg
06-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Cardiac asthma isn't asthma in its true sense. It's wheezing due to congestive heart failure.

Cardiac asthma is a clinical condition caused by severe reflexive blocking and/or by edema of the lungs. The bronchial spasm in cardiac asthma is caused by back pressure from the left side of the heart to the lungs (the left part of the heart has a sudden disproportion between its work load and work capacity).

Patients with heart failure or heart valves that do not open properly experience shortness of breath, wheezing and coughing.

Cardiac asthma is usually due to a major mechanical fault of the heart and may pose to be life threatening, if not checked at the right time.

In this kind of asthma, the reduced pumping efficacy of the heart leads to a build up of fluid in the lungs. This build up of the fluid causes the air passages to narrow up and eventually cause wheezing and other related symptoms.

Symptoms usually occur with exercise or at night after going to bed. Excessive fluid in the lungs associated with heart failure causes symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing, which imitate asthma.

Both cardiac asthma and pulmonary edema are symptoms of coming heart failure.

* Shortness of breath, not necessarily accompanied by wheezing.
* Increased rapid and superficial breathing.
* Increased blood pressure and heart beat rate.
* Cardiac asthmatic people wake up breathless a few hours after sleeping, and have to sit upright to again properly breathe. This is due to lying down too long.
* Swollen ankles which worsen rapidly during the stretch of the day.

Treatment is directed at improving the pump function of the heart along with medications. If the asthma is caused by a heart valve that is not working properly or a hole between the heart chambers, surgery or other procedures may be suggested.

Treatment of heart failure involves using diuretics (water pills) to free the lungs of excess fluid and medications to help the heart muscles pump more effectively. When the heart failure has been well controlled, the wheezing will gradually stop.

Cardiac asthma usually occurs in elderly people who have wheezing and shortness of breath that are due to heart failure. When the heart is too weak to pump blood effectively, fluid will accumulate in the lungs. Fluid in the lungs causes shortness of breath and wheezing.

PCtek...

Thanks heaps for that enlightenment. It's basically what my brother told me, but he didn't explain it quite as well.

prefect
06-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Putting up the price of fags imo does not stop most people from quitting.
The poor people who can least afford the fags still buy them and their families miss out because that money isn't getting spent on food etc.
Smokers are obviously of limited intelligence and cant give up and should be treated as alkies or druggies.
Maybe the the state could give poor people fags like in a methadone program in plain packs prescription from chemist.
I do my part I now do not hire smokers anymore most drivers are smokers so it cuts the job applicants about 80%.

SolMiester
06-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm a smoker, on and off.....I want to stop, but I'm weak....longest I stopped was 6mths, 10mths ago!...

Ummm

zqwerty
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
The "New Puritan Age"™ we are living in has familiar hallmarks of Fascism and Nazism, not to mention the joy of power tripping.

Trev
06-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I smoked from 16 till I was 25 many years ago and gave up when I went to stay with some relatives for a fortnight who were non smokers. Smoked a packet a day. I was so determined to give up that I use to have nightmares that I was smoking and woke up in a cold sweat, could even taste it.
:)

Metla
06-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Actually it's really hard to give up smoking, it's really addictive, glad I'm not a smoker as its not a nice way to go . Its obviously worrying you. Good luck with your decision.

Its not hard, The biggest handicap to people giving up is the widespread propaganda about how hard it is, The strong urges only last for a couple of weeks and even at their peak only last for a few minutes at a time,and they don't cripple ya, they can be ignored.

Those that continue to smoke do so because they want to, Not because its hard. ****, you have to make the decision to get some smokes, light em up and inhale in order to continue.

The only exception I would make is the really useless people, The type that don't have the capacity to do anything apart from exist and breed.They are a lost cause before they started.

Metla
06-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I was so determined to give up that I use to have nightmares that I was smoking and woke up in a cold sweat, could even taste it.

I dream I'm having a smoke at least once a month, Not what I would term a nightmare , Though I feel like crap in the dream in regards to the cigarette.

Trev
06-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Smokers do indeed stink. Horrible stench.
Couldn't agree more.

prefect
06-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I am pretty sure a high percentage of smokers trying to give up start again after bludging a fag when on the piss.
It does not seem possible to give up fags and continue drinking in the short term.

WalOne
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I smoked from age 16 to 39 where I reached about 80 a day, and was able (with the help of a clinical psychologist and one session under hypnosis) to give up cold turkey. It wasn't the nightmare you may imagine - I did go through withdrawals , but those were more on the basis of "what do I do with my hands?"

Like Trev, I did dream about it, although not with nightmares. Usually I would dream I was at a social function (party, pub, etc) and lit up a smoke. The following morning and think "I had a smoke last night and now I've gone and stuffed it up" (or expletive), before I fully awakened and realised it was a dream.

:help: This may help you if you decide - and I hope you do - to give up: I would tell myself something along the lines of, my body's missing something. But it can't be cigarettes because I don't smoke.

Try it, and good luck. It's worth the effort.

Metla
06-07-2009, 02:51 PM
80 a day is a top effort :stare:

WalOne
06-07-2009, 03:10 PM
80 a day is a top effort :stare:

:thanks Thanks! I sometimes think how the hell could I afford to pay for this habit at today's prices? But of course, had I continued at that rate, i probably wouldn't be here to worry about it :yuck:

PaulD
06-07-2009, 03:15 PM
PCtek...

Thanks heaps for that enlightenment. It's basically what my brother told me, but he didn't explain it quite as well.

He should have just copied the website like pctek did :D

Greg
06-07-2009, 03:30 PM
The only exception I would make is the really useless people, The type that don't have the capacity to do anything apart from exist and breed.They are a lost cause before they started.
Damn it Metz! And I thought we were online friends! :crying

:lol:

SolMiester
06-07-2009, 04:38 PM
80 a day?....omg, i'm a 50g p/fortnight guy!

Agent_24
06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't, never have and never will

As as observation, I think the ones you make yourself are a lot less offensive smelling

Ofthesea
06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
To take another angle yea everyone get smoking, it's really great for the country. Smokers pay heaps of taxes and chances are slim of ever getting to collect the pension, great for the economy ....
Go for it Metla ...

Metla
06-07-2009, 11:08 PM
To take another angle yea everyone get smoking, it's really great for the country. Smokers pay heaps of taxes and chances are slim of ever getting to collect the pension, great for the economy ....
Go for it Metla ...

Glad to see I still have my touch.:D

SolMiester
06-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't, never have and never will

As as observation, I think the ones you make yourself are a lot less offensive smelling

When I was in the UK, they had the best tobacco shops with exotic blends from around the world. My favourite was Holland blond with a little vanilla. Used to smell quite nice really, like essence stick!

Renmoo
07-07-2009, 02:57 AM
PCtek...

http://www.yourasthmatreatment.com/cardiac-asthma.htm * that's the source.