PDA

View Full Version : Telecom XT Mobile - World Class

Nomad
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Is that is talk or how much of a improvement is XT? Is it similar with the mobile telecommunication standards at the largest cities in the world?

pcuser42
04-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I dunno, but I did a speed test with my new phone and it managed 300kb/s. :D

wratterus
04-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Telecom have finally caught up to the rest of the world...it is good though, nice and quick and seems to be a lot better than their old network and vodafone on the whole, from what I've seen so far.

Ninjabear
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Telecom have finally caught up to the rest of the world...it is good though, nice and quick and seems to be a lot better than their old network and vodafone on the whole, from what I've seen so far.

Pity they don't have 2G network for their 850mhz frequency. This means 3/4 of the world's population mobile don't work because they all mostly run on 900/2100 WCDMA MHZ

wratterus
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
It's about time we upgraded, now the rest of the world can come here with their phones, and we can do the same. :thumbs:

Sue
04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
XT Mobile is my only internet access ~ so far so good as far as speed goes. 4.03Mb/s download lunchtime today.
The only downside has been the crap software for Mac users on the sierra wireless modems. Now trying the telecom modem...

wratterus
04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Did you ever try a vodafone card on your Mac Sue? I have had all kinds of grief trying to get one of those to work for various people.

Sue
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I used Vodafone for the last 2.5 years first with a 3G phone / bluetooth tether plus modem scripts written by a Kiwi in London :) I then used the old style modem on a short USB cable which broke down with two months to go on a 24 month plan.

Only the new black stick vodem can access the new Vodafone 3G extended option. The Vodafone card won't and the Dell with installed option won't access 3G extended either.

The Black stick vodem works OK on Mac although the software isn't the best, the latest software version available for download on the Vodafone site is better.

Hope that helps a bit.

wratterus
04-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks - tbh I despise the things. Telecom all the way. :)

somebody
05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
There's a great big billboard in the Wellington CBD where Telecom cites some study saying that their new network is "world class" or something to that effect. If I recall correctly, it's on a building on Willis St.

R2x1
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
It's about time we upgraded, now the rest of the world can come here with their phones, and we can do the same. :thumbs:
Aren't we (and our phones) already here? ;) Or have I been misled? :help:
Nope, the GPS says I am here. For a second opinion, I looked in the mirror, and sure enough, here I am.

Perhaps it's just the Telecom users who are not all there? ;) Or the Nelson solar glare that causes excess squinting?

gary67
05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
No sun in Nelson today and Motueka is definitely not Nelson, I looked in the mirror and I'm here but them I'm on Vodafone stuff Telecom

Nermal
06-07-2009, 01:58 PM
In terms of data pricing, the move from CDMA to XT was a no-brainer for me. In addition, I'm going to the US next month which necessitated either signing a CDMA term contract or going open term on XT. I don't like being "locked in" so I went for XT.

No major problems once everything was activated etc. Data speeds aren't as fast as I'd been led to believe... I've had about 1 Mb/s down and 350 kb/s up (on a 7.6/2.0 device). I plan to try it in a different city in case there's limited bandwidth here in Whakatane or something.

Nomad
06-07-2009, 06:54 PM
What is this? I just went on the XT site and look at international roaming charges and it says prepaid is not possible with Canada yet ......

pcuser42
06-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Also data in Australia is $10 a megabyte. :waughh:

Nomad
06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Also data in Australia is $10 a megabyte. :waughh:

OK :D Vodafone Australia, I guess data is just not as good as voice. That's competitive - yeah right .....