PDA

View Full Version : Broadband slowest in the deep south

pctek
04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
By TOM PULLAR-STRECKER - The Dominion Post

Broadband is slower the further away customers are from Auckland, with Dunedin at the bottom of the heap among the major centres, according to a report released by the Commerce Commission.

The report said broadband speeds had improved 4 per cent during the past three months. It did not take into account the performance of TelstraClear's cable networks, which are used by about 70,000 households in Wellington and Christchurch.

The average Kiwi broadband user got peak download speeds of just over 5 megabits per second. Telecom's performance ranged from 7Mbps in Auckland to just under 5Mbps in Dunedin.

--------------

Er.......my result: Ping 176ms, Download 1.68Mb/s

GameJunkie
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
ping for me is 235ms, download is 4.27Mb/s
just done now

pine-o-cleen
04-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Who are you pinging?

davidmmac
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Er, I'm downloading a 600MB file from the US now, and I'm averaging 60 - 70 kilo bytes per secound. Guess thats what you get on wireless :crying.

I'd be very happy with 5mbps :).

The Hitcher
04-07-2009, 07:03 PM
It's could be international bandwidth or the source server limiting your download speed. Locally hosted content will generally come in faster than international.
Wireless is capable of quite a bit more data transfer than 60-70K.

R2x1
04-07-2009, 07:37 PM
It's could be international bandwidth or the source server limiting your download speed. Locally hosted content will generally come in faster than international.
Capable, yep. Average achievement of wireless is pretty disappointing if the signal is down a bit, which is lamentably common. It appears that even when it is operating quickly, it is somewhat spasmodic in that the signal arrives in bursts with long intervals of navel gazing or whatever the system is up to.
In practical terms, it is best to use dial-up often, just to make the wireless service seem acceptable. It usually beats dial-up.

pcuser42
04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Slightly over 5MB/s on average? I want my extra megabit.

Nomad
04-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I switched to 256k when I got under 2Mbit speed at that popular testing page.

I am in Wellington - lol.

davidmmac
04-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Unfortunately it's our plan, which limits us to 512kbps. Next plan up doubles the speed but costs $20 more ($80 per month :stare:).

But I shouldn't be complaining, at least we've got broadband, loads of other rural communities don't.

Nomad
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I read that report. 4% improvement and outage was greatly improved. 14mins per month or so....

What I find dissapointing is that from the end user's perspective, there are not any real gains. My prices have not changed a cent. The speed probably have not changed either. Althou I may upgrade for a few days at the end of the month and in the new month I can change back if not better.

PS. Probbaly I won't test it cos Xnet have discontinued 256k if I switch out I won't be able to get back on 256k. Speed probably haven't improved. I am in a suburb so to them may mean bugger all, it is not the CBD or not a area competed with Testra cable, it is not the rural area where may be desperately need some form of improvement.