PDA

View Full Version : how to setup dual hard drives?

powerover
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi there everyone,

I have got a 250GB HDD in my PC at the moment and I found another HDD lying around so I thought I could put it in my computer as well.

The current HDD is connected using the IDE-ATA 133 HDD cable which came with the mobo, and set up as a "master drive", whatever that means.

the cable has 3 connectors, 1 for the mobo, 1 im using for the current HDD.

can I just connect the second HDD to the 1 remaining connector of the cable? or do I have to hook it up a different way? What do I have to do in the BIOS to set it up correctly? there will be other stuff on the second HDD, but I don't care what they are, I want to wipe them out by formatting it, but I don't know how.

the second HDD is of different size to the first one, only 40GB and I just want it to be extra storage space, no other fancy requirements. also I want to do it in such a way that doesn't require me to wipe out my existing installation of windows. How can i do that?

cheers guys, many thanks in advance. :)

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
You have to jumper the 2nd hdd as slave (look on the top of the hdd, it SHOULD have a diagram on how to jumper it). Go into the BIOS, check that the slave is being detected. if it doesnt appear in the BIOS put whatever ide connection its on, on AUTO. Reboot. Thats it. If its a new hdd go into disk management, and format it, so windows will see it

powerover
04-07-2009, 04:34 PM
oh..sweet...lets try that.. thanks Speedy!

powerover
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Umm..hang on.. there are 2 options for everything, you can do it with 16 heads or 15 heads...which 1 should I do it with?

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Just jumper it as slave. Put it on AUTO in the BIOS . It may change the bootdisk to the 2nd hdd in the BIOS. Change the bootdisk to the hdd with the OS on it in the BIOS. Save settings then reboot

And turn the PC off before you connect it, if its the PC youre on now

powerover
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
but you can do it with a "16 head" slave or a "15 head" slave, and the way to do each is different.. :(

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I have no idea what that is or means. You shouldnt have to do that whatever it is, or does. Its probably written on the top of the hdd somewhere how many heads / cylinders etc its got

powerover
04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
umm...those info is not written in a table, like most HDD does, but I found them under CHS: 16380/16/63
16383 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors I think...

thanks Speedy, all sorted, will try it tonight. :)

cheers :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Cool :)