PDA

View Full Version : Remove DRM from WMA files

FoxyMX
04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Since reformatting my computer a couple of weeks ago I have found that I am no longer able to play WMA music files legitimately purchased from Digirama. Apparently I am supposed to cough up $$ for them if I want to play them again.

Obviously I should have burnt them to CDs to remove the protection first but I had no idea that this would happen. :(

Anyone know how I can play them on my PC again without repurchasing them, please?

Erayd
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
If you've lost the licenses, you can't - you're stuffed. This is why I immediately strip the DRM off anything I buy to avoid it becoming a problem later.

In your shoes, I would contact Digirama and ask them to allow you to re-download the tracks (which is a perfectly reasonable request). If they refuse, raise merry hell until they change their minds.

davidmmac
04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Have you tried going into your previous purchases and seeing if you can download them again? I was able to do that about 6 months ago (there website seems to be down at the moment though, so I can't try it again).

Should that fail, do what Erayd said and email digirama, then ask google how to strip the drm off wma's :).

davidmmac
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok, just tried there site again and I was able to log in, so you could give this a go:

1. Log in
2. Click on "Account" (under the main logo)
3. A page should come up with your order history, click on one of the order numbers
4. Click on the "Download" button.

Good Luck, and I hope it works for you :thumbs:.

wainuitech
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok, just tried there site again and I was able to log in, so you could give this a go:

1. Log in
2. Click on "Account" (under the main logo)
3. A page should come up with your order history, click on one of the order numbers
4. Click on the "Download" button.

Good Luck, and I hope it works for you :thumbs:. Had to do the same thing with this PC when I changed it, you dont have to repay, but you do have to download again, this will automatically bring through the licenses. If you want to remove the DRM, simply burn them to CD through Windows media Player, then in the Rip settings, make sure the copy protection is unticked and rerip them DRM free.

FoxyMX
04-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys, that's a big help. :cool:

I've been into my account and tried downloading again to get the licences but it stalls with an error message. Have sent the message to Digirama and hopefully they will be able to help.

The original songs were downloaded into the My Music folder then moved to another partition prior to reformatting. The error still occurs even after moving the folders and files back into My Music again so I'm not sure if that is the cause or not.

wainuitech
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
They should be able to help - last year I had a problem downloading music I had purchased, sent an email, and they had it fixed within an hour, ( was a Saturday Morning) - they replied saying " try again Now".

Agent_24
04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
I remember I once used a program to remove DRM from a WMA file. It would do it even if you didn't have the license.

But then Microsoft updated WMA to a new version or something and the program no longer worked.

I think there are some that will do it, but require you to have the license to begin with, or else they can't decode it.

FoxyMX
04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I think there are some that will do it, but require you to have the license to begin with, or else they can't decode it.

Yes, that is how it appears to be. I was hoping to be able to get something that could remove the DRM without having the licence but it looks like I will be lucky.

One thing is for sure, I won't be caught out like this again!

Incidentally, it is interesting how I can play the songs on my MP3 player but when transferred back to the PC they won't play. They were put on the player prior to reformatting.

FoxyMX
05-07-2009, 11:32 PM
They should be able to help - last year I had a problem downloading music I had purchased, sent an email, and they had it fixed within an hour, ( was a Saturday Morning) - they replied saying " try again Now".

Just downloaded the licences after receiving an email from them saying they had fixed the problem and to try again. Songs now play. :cool:

Thanks for the help, guys. :thumbs:

autechre
06-07-2009, 10:19 AM
But then Microsoft updated WMA to a new version or something and the program no longer worked.
As long as you're not using WMP11 with the latest updates, there is software that will remove the DRM. Even then, you could put XP in a VM with WMP9 and remove the DRM in that - too much hassle for most I suspect.