PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 BSOD

Chemical Ali
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Have just installed Windows 7 RC on a core 2 duo machine - the PC is booting up perfectly fine from an off/non-powered state.

However I am having problems when I bring it back from a hibernating/sleep state (eg: when the PC hasn't been used for some time but hasn't been shut down).

I can get back to the desktop but then it immediately crashes with the classic BSOD and a "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" error message.

Have done some googling and apparently it has been an issue with some Vista users and the odd Windows 7 RC user has also reported it but I haven't been able to find a solution.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Blam
02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Does event viewer show any other information?

What is the exact STOP error?

Blam

Tuneznz
02-07-2009, 11:32 PM
I believe this is a issue with most if not all W7RC systems, It is only the Release client after all... (issues with sleep/hibernation resuming)

HillBeast
02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
7 and Vista are full of weird hibernation and sleep issues. My computer and my friends for example turn back on for no apparent reason about 5-30 minutes after you put it to sleep.

Maybe the hibernation file is becoming corrupt during the shutdown causing a memory management issue? Just a thought...

Phil B
03-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm on W7 & I use windows live sync. If it's left on when the computer goes to sleep, sometimes it wakes instantly, other times it locks up when waking up. Exit sync & there's no problem

mikebartnz
03-07-2009, 02:46 AM
My computer and my friends for example turn back on for no apparent reason about 5-30 minutes after you put it to sleep.
Go into the bios and make sure you haven't got wake on lan set.

SolMiester
03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I dont know anyone that uses hibernation....I cant really see the use of it TBH...once the monitor has gone to sleep, and the PC is idle, the difference in energy saving is nominal...

somebody
03-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm hibernating/sleeping fine with W7 on an Atom machine (netbook). No problems whatsoever.

On the other hand, my Vista PC has issues recovering from hibernation or sleep mode (BSOD), however I have a suspicion it is related to my RAID setup.

Chemical Ali
03-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I dont actively use it [hibernation] so I guess I'm referring to the sleep state that the PC enters - when it aint blue screening it takes about 5 minutes to 'wake up' and only after you hit the power or reset button on the case as opposed to being able to just press any key on the keyboard or waggle the mouse with Vista or XP.

SolMiester
03-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Doesnt that come down to the ACPI settings in the BIOS?

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

linw
03-07-2009, 05:17 PM
There are a lot of factors that affect reliable sleep mode. My earlier win 7 installation would only come out of sleep mode once every reboot. Naturally, I was looking for why win 7 was flaky but after transferring to another mobo, win 7 sleep mode seems to work perfectly. So, perhaps a BIOS setting was stuffing it up - who knows.

But a memory type error would steer me to thoroughly checking it with memtest or similar just in case it is a hardware problem.

Good luck.