PDA

View Full Version : NTFS Directory Missing - 300GB of files gone!

HillBeast
02-07-2009, 07:32 PM
On my computer, I run 3 copies of Windows: XP x86, Vista x86, and 7 RC x64 and XP started messing up badly so I reinstalled it last night. However, I didn't think anything of it during the install, but in the part of the install where you select which partition to install XP on, it showed about 20 partitions on my 1TB drive, some of which were over 3TB O.o. I thought it might just be something small and carried on installing.

When I got up this morning and went on my computer, I went to watch a movie and my entire videos folder was gone! I ran CHKDSK and it came up finding orphaned files etc, and then after a few minutes it got into an infinate loop of saying something like 'Indexing file xxxx for file $0' or something (always the same number xxxx and same file $0.

I tried CHKDSK in XP, Vista and 7 and they all came up with the same problem. I also tried GetDataBack NTFS which is what I normally use to get files back that are missing, and it came to an infinate loop too but going on about printers and my BIOS...

I have no idea what has happened, but I really want my videos and movies back because there were important family videos in there I can't get back...

Any ideas?

wainuitech
02-07-2009, 08:36 PM
First of all STOP trying to run checks or adding any other programs to find them, doing so may completely remove any chance of recovery.

You can try using something Like a Linux Live CD to see if the files are visible. Personally I use Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)

If they are that important in all seriousness send the Hard Drive to Data Recovery Expert Google Search of NZ Experts (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=data+recovery&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryNZ)- they will have a LOT better chance of recovering any data than any one here can advise. It may cost some bigger $$$ but if they are that important --- nuff said.

HillBeast
02-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I will try a Kubuntu disc tonight and see if I can see the files, but I've always had bad experiences with Linux and NTFS...

Also the programs I am running (GetDataBack NTFS) is running off the CD and all temp files are put on a different partition. Only one partition on the drive has gone nuts...

HillBeast
02-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Also I'd rather not pay someone to do this for me. They always overcharge and I need the hard drive because my system partition is on it and it is my main computer...

Rod J
02-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I hope you can get your stuff back ... but I bet you're wishing you had a backup of that data now, eh? We can't stress enough the importance of backing up data on this forum, you just never know when things will go wrong with this technology. So if you do recover your data, please, please make regular backups!

HillBeast
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
YES!!! I used the Linux disc (which didn't work because of my obscure GFX card (GeForce 9800GX2) so I tried the Hirens Mastermind Boot CD and used Volkov commander, and I noticed the found.000 folders made by CHKDSK. I never thought of it earlier...

I went back into Windows and told it to show system files and there was all my stuff, but in renamed directories in the found.000 folder and found.001!

All my stuff is intact, but I'm going to start backing up the important videos to my file server like what it's made for!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

wainuitech
02-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Good that it worked with a Linux CD this time.

The reason for suggesting a data recovery expert, -- Yes they charge a Lot, BUT they also have specialized equipment that will often recover data from drives that otherwise would be lost.Even after several formats, or partition removals, or mechanical failures.

Blam
03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Next time when that happens, if the data is really important go straight to the linux CD stage. chkdsks can often further corrupt the data, making it harder to recover.

Blam