PDA

View Full Version : Video editor trialling

Krad
02-07-2009, 04:51 PM
I am in the market for a HD video editor and am trying out the leaders before I buy online. Corel (Ulead) Video Studio 12 (or Pro X2) is easy to use but you can't save the movie under the Share Options so I don't know how good the finished product is. Has anyone else had this experience with free trial video software? I see users of Sony Vegas Pro 9 reckon it is great. I'll trial it but what's the point of a free trial if you can't see the final result? Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome.

Speedy Gonzales
02-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I've tried videostudio, but the files I had were 3 GB +. I managed to edit so much then videostudio kept on closing / quitting. No reason why, no error message saying anything had crashed. It may have been a 32 bit program issue (I was editing on 64 bit windows). I had enough ram ( 6 GB). So doubt it was a ram issue. In the end, I biffed it. No point using it, if it keeps closing on me. It maybe OK, if the files you edit arent 3 GB, or over tho. I tried Nero 7 (Nerovision, which can edit (which is meant to be compat with Vista), but it did nothing but hang, so that went in the bin too

davidmmac
02-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I trialed Power Director 7 recently, and found it OK.

I wanted to trial Premier Elements 7, but the download was too big :( (thats why I trialed Power Director).

I've used Sony Vegas Pro 7 previously, but found it too advanced for me :o

Finally, I've also trialed premier elements 4 off one of the PCW DVD's, which I found brilliant :).

Blam
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Pinnacle Studio is awesome.

Give it a try:)

kahawai chaser
02-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Depending on your video editing needs, there are free video editors (http://pcsourcepoint.blogspot.com/2009/05/free-video-movie-editing-software.html) (my reviews) including video online editors (http://pcsourcepoint.blogspot.com/2009/04/free-online-and-computer-video-editing.html)that may suit...

Krad
03-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I have been using Windows Movie Maker for standard video editing but now want to edit HD video (mpeg2) from and to tape. Do any of the free video editors handle high definition? Another question - if I change the file extension from m2t to avi I can edit it in Movie Maker. Does changing the extension lessen the resolution? If I work with the files in avi what sort of output quality will I get?

Paul.Cov
03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I've done a LOT with Video Studio 6. I can't comment on the later editions, but remember being appalled at the upgrade prices.

Video Studio 6 frankly has a fairly weak video compression algorithm. There are other products that give better image while saving files to the same bitrate etc.

A trick to a crash with VS6 is that it would always crash on the very last frame of the source file. The solution: Mark out the last few frames so that they do not get read during the encoding process.

davidmmac
03-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I have been using Windows Movie Maker for standard video editing but now want to edit HD video (mpeg2) from and to tape. Do any of the free video editors handle high definition?

Free editors might let you import HD videos, but are unlikely to let you output in HD :(.

if I change the file extension from m2t to avi I can edit it in Movie Maker. Does changing the extension lessen the resolution?

As far as I am aware of, changing the extension does not lessen the resolution.

If I work with the files in avi what sort of output quality will I get?

It depends on what format you encode the final video in, and what resolution, bit rate and quality settings you select.