PDA

View Full Version : Any Classic/Old car buffs here?

password
02-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Has anyone got any idea of what these sun visors are worth? My mums mate Rob said they were rare as anything, Anyone know anything about them??

Pics here...

http://i41.tinypic.com/2znpki9.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2nb956e.jpg

any one?

hueybot3000
02-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Looking that id say itd cost to dump them. Personally I don't like them one bit.

What cars it for? Considered making one?

password
02-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Na, I have one on my car, Alot ot people say thet are worth quite a bit as they so rare.. Im not too sure, as i dont know many Older people, Its off my Morris Marina 1975

johcar
02-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Hmm. Morris Marina. Certainly 'old' (but what does that make me then!?). Hardly a classic. Unless it's a classic example of how to make a car badly.... Even in their day they had a bad rep.

R2x1
02-07-2009, 07:24 PM
The Marina hasn't had it's "day" yet although the owners have usually had a few bad days.
Those Monsoon shields were usually worth about a 12% increase in fuel consumption on a trip. They're worse than driving around with a stray ladder on the roof rack.

password
02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
The Marina hasn't had it's "day" yet although the owners have usually had a few bad days.
Those Monsoon shields were usually worth about a 12% increase in fuel consumption on a trip. They're worse than driving around with a stray ladder on the roof rack.

Thanks why my fuel bill is sooo high....:groan:

kenj
03-07-2009, 07:37 AM

Ahhh, those were the days when petrol was soooo.. cheap. We just didn't care!!

I had one of those on a PAX Vauxhall. It whistled a merry tune at 60MPH.

Ken

prefect
03-07-2009, 08:52 AM
The Morris Marina was the worst car made in the western world at the time.
It had many design defects.
I think the shield look supremely cool and would have wanted one in my own Austin/Morris/Riley/Van der Plas/MG/Wolsey days but couldn't afford to buy one.

password
03-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I think the shield look supremely cool and would have wanted one in my own Austin/Morris/Riley/Van der Plas/MG/Wolsey days but couldn't afford to buy one.

What sort of prices back then?

prefect
03-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry I cant remember they were sold by BLMC dealers under the Unipart label.

password
03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks Prefect, I will have a look into that, Remmember what they were called? Just visor or what :p

KenESmith
03-07-2009, 09:53 PM
These products were an after market accessory, the Ford Zephrs had them also -
High drag and not really all that effective.

There also was a fad of metal visors above the headflights; the theoretical value being they deflected the high beam down avoiding dazzling on coming traffic.
They did not work particularly well and ended up being banned when it was worked out that they could inlict a nasty wound on any poor pedestrian hit by a car fitted with these items.

The late fifties saw a fad on many cars of pronounced large fins built into the rear mudguards, that were about a decrative and useful as many of the spoilers fitted to modern cars - For those who disagree. please note- for a boot spoiler to work has to be shaped like an inverted high lift aerofoil, with a negative angle of attack between 4 and 10 degrees, and be located in such a high position as to enjoy laminar airflow free of turbulent interference from airflow over the cars body - the majority are not - and are thus merely an expensive decorative fad.

R2x1
03-07-2009, 09:59 PM
I believe they were produced / distributed by Don Agencies - busy people back then.