PDA

View Full Version : Telecome offers unlimited download plan

utopian201
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/2557199/Telecom-offers-clients-Big-Time-internet-plan

I don't see how this is different from Go Large (which I am currently on) - except it is $10 more.

edit: whoops, just noticed theres a thread in the pressf1 section

johcar
02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I'll stick with my 20GB a month thanks. It costs me the same and at least I won't get slowed down by the greedy buggers... (famous last words probably!!)

Bozo
02-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Hmm... I'm hoping that Xtra won't be swamped with new customers thus slowing down their services to their current customers - i.e. me :)

Hopefully people learned from last time that Xtra + unlimited != good service.

utopian201
02-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Can mods merge threads?

Hmm... I'm hoping that Xtra won't be swamped with new customers thus slowing down their services to their current customers - i.e. me :)

Hopefully people learned from last time that Xtra + unlimited != good service.

I doubt people on capped plans will experience slowdown. It will just mean the people on unlimited get slower speeds; I can't even buffer youtube videos fast enough to watch on the fly, but a friend on a capped plan does. She said my Go Large (which is basically the same as the new plan but cheaper) is like dialup.

Bozo
02-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I doubt people on capped plans will experience slowdown. It will just mean the people on unlimited get slower speeds; I can't even buffer youtube videos fast enough to watch on the fly, but a friend on a capped plan does. She said my Go Large (which is basically the same as the new plan but cheaper) is like dialup.

For sure - just thinking back to when I was with Xnet and they brought out their Torrent Plan - the minute they 'un-throttled' their torrent users (after midnight) my internet speeds dropped to less than dial-up.
Even though I was on a normal capped plan - because of the huge numbers of people basically abusing the system and maxing the connections out - all Xnet customers suffered.

Never again you bastards!

utopian201
02-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Telecom has a separate bandwidth pool for go large users.

I'm amazed at the speed a friend on a capped plan gets playing youtube; it loads fast enough to watch while it is still loading. That is very rare on go large.

pcuser42
02-07-2009, 04:59 PM
The reason they are offering this again is because speed will be capped instead of data. It makes sense really.

utopian201
02-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Go large already has a speed cap, upload is limited to 128k which limits download speed.

Twelvevolts
03-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Sounds primitive compared to my Telstra Clear Cable.

autechre
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Sounds primitive compared to my Telstra Clear Cable.
Except you can't download much without paying an arm or a leg for it.

Give me big caps over speed any day, though a combo of both would be perfect :thumbs:

Bozo
03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Except you can't download much without paying an arm or a leg for it.

Give me big caps over speed any day, though a combo of both would be perfect :thumbs:

Yes it would - though I would take speed over big caps.

Who can be arsed waiting 5 minutes for that YouTube to load?

Or if you want to watch a movie - not being able to have it within 15 minutes?

Unless we are talking about a cap less that 15gb a month - speed of data cap :)