PDA

View Full Version : New Telecom unlimited traffic plan

wratterus
02-07-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/2557199/Telecom-offers-clients-Big-Time-internet-plan

Interesting - It would be really good to know just how much they would throttle speeds. I'm still on the original Go Large plan at home, and things slow to a crawl in the evenings - international speeds would be down to 15 - 25kb/sec, where the other morning at around 2am, i was downloading from Aussie at over 500kb/sec. Very annoying - but it's great. :p Between the 7 of us who use the connection, we go through around 60 - 100GB a month.

Can't see it being any good for customers on a normal plan.

utopian201
02-07-2009, 09:38 AM
How is it different from Go Large? I'm on go large and its $10 less than this.

Sweep
02-07-2009, 09:51 AM
How is it different from Go Large? I'm on go large and its $10 less than this.

There is no "Go Large" plan at this time.

You are probably on the "Adventure" plan which is capped at 20 Gb data usage.

The new plan is uncapped as to data which would be the difference I presume.

utopian201
02-07-2009, 10:11 AM
New and existing customers on other plans can't sign onto go large, but people who were on it since 2007 are still on it.

In which case if the only difference between this new plan and capped plans are unlimited data and managed traffic, there is no difference between it and Go Large. Except its more expensive.

wratterus
02-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Nope, Go Large is still running - old customers are still on it.

I'd say this plan is identical - apart from being more expensive and you know its going to be slow before signing up for it.

DeSade
02-07-2009, 10:18 AM
It better not affect the speeds I pay for through my 40gb Adventure Pro plan.
I spent 3 months on the phone getting credits the last time the introduced a stupid uncapped plan

utopian201
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I doubt you'll be affected. They'll just slow everyone on the new plan down. Even on Go Large, I can't even stream youtube videos fast enough to watch while loading :p

But in previous months the usage has been has ranged between 60-90gb and you can't beat that for $49.95

nofam
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah I'll be pissed if my ADSL2+ goes back to its old speeds!!

:p

wratterus
02-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah I'll be pissed if my ADSL2+ goes back to its old speeds!!

:p

If it drops noticeably when they launch the new plan, you should give them a call and give the supervisor the biggest verbal raping ever, surely they've learned their lesson from last time. :(

Chilling_Silence
02-07-2009, 11:02 AM
What a joke .. Sounds like they're gearing themselves up to be able to throttle your connection back to some pathetic speed and just simply leave it that way.

I moved out of home a couple of months ago in preperation for my wedding, signed up with Orcon Naked DSL and all my downloads constantly saturate my line. I'm pretty far from the exchange so I get about 5m/bit. My parents saw that, switched to Orcon from Xnet (Who wholesaled off Telecom on the plan we were on) and saw speeds jump from an average of 90-120KB/sec to 1.5 MegaBYTES a second and upwards. Why would you want to sacrifice speeds like that for "unlimited" usage ... Bet they wouldnt reach anywhere near those speeds anymore, but then again Im feeling rather pessimistic about anything Telecom says these days in relation to broadband.

utopian201
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
What a joke .. Sounds like they're gearing themselves up to be able to throttle your connection back to some pathetic speed and just simply leave it that way.

Why would you want to sacrifice speeds like that for "unlimited" usage ... Bet they wouldnt reach anywhere near those speeds anymore, but then again Im feeling rather pessimistic about anything Telecom says these days in relation to broadband.

hhmm, how much data do you go through a month? I'd say its a cheap way to get a large amount of data (60gb+).

I notice on my connection it is fast during the day and slows noticably during peak hours (4 till midnight), so they already throttle the unlimited go large plans.

qazwsxokmijn
02-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm still on Go Large....can't be bothered going through the whole process of pulling out, then getting on with another useless POS ISP after all the nightmare ihug and xtra put me through.

Go Large speeds aren't THAT bad anymore, but dropouts are often and sometimes speed fluctuates a lot. But really, I can't be bothered anymore!

sroby
02-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Nope, Go Large is still running - old customers are still on it.

I'd say this plan is identical - apart from being more expensive and you know its going to be slow before signing up for it.

they were probhably moved to adventure without prior notification.
happened to me, was sent an email notifying me after they did it.

sroby
02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
"The catch is that Telecom will ration network capacity, so videos, music and software patches might download slowly, particularly during peak hours on the internet, between 3pm and 11pm."
from that link in 1st post.

possum
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I wonder if this will have uncapped upload speed as well. I'm on Go Large and managed to download about 140GB last month but my upload is still capped at 128kbs. If this plan has the 128kps cap removed i will have to switch or just ask Telecom to remove upload cap on my current Go Large plan. The Go Large plan can be very good as long as you use a good download manager to achieve maximum benefits.

Tuneznz
02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Or there is Clearnet... I am of the belief they are the only company that doesn't buy its internet through telecom (self imports) BUT I might need to be corrected.

davidmmac
02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
It's a pity you can't "trial" broadband plans for a month before signing up on a contract (except on Orcon) :annoyed:.

notechyet
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
I have been on the Go Large plan since the introduction. Speeds are ok generally, though youtube in the evenings is rather a crawl. Upload speed is to slow. Use an average of approx. 20GB.
Have been thinking of switching to Adventure or even switch to Naked DSL and VOIP.
Haven't heard of anyone yet in the region who has been on an internet only plan.

Taurus
02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/2557199/Telecom-offers-clients-Big-Time-internet-plan

Interesting - It would be really good to know just how much they would throttle speeds. I'm still on the original Go Large plan at home, and things slow to a crawl in the evenings - international speeds would be down to 15 - 25kb/sec, where the other morning at around 2am, i was downloading from Aussie at over 500kb/sec. Very annoying - but it's great. :p Between the 7 of us who use the connection, we go through around 60 - 100GB a month.

Can't see it being any good for customers on a normal plan.

Why pay $60 and get dial-up speed.

PCT Joe
02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm on ICONZ it costs us $250 a month for 250GB, the speeds are excellent except the ping is pretty horrible at times, other times it fine or 'awesome'. I think this issue has more to do with them using telecom's lines in my area.

Tuneznz
02-07-2009, 10:31 PM
WHAT!!! $250 You must be a company to even remotely use that much a month. Because thats insain!

Chilling_Silence
03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
hhmm, how much data do you go through a month? I'd say its a cheap way to get a large amount of data (60gb+).

No doubt its a *very* cheap way of doing that. I go through 40GB a month. Thing is you then get a ton of people complaining "Oh man, YouTube is slow, browsing isnt very fast during peak times either, I can't listen to internet radio, VoIP calls just don't work, same for Skype, and don't even think about video-calls over MSN", and they'll sign up unsuspecting people who simply just don't know any better, because it's an easy sales pitch to do.

Clearnet... I am of the belief they are the only company that doesn't buy its internet through telecom (self imports)
Naked DSL is available from Vodafone / iHug (RED Network), Orcon (The Orcon+ Network), TelstraClear (Don't believe they have a special name for it) and sometimes Xnet, depending on your plan / area and a few other things. Just to name a few ;) Those all offer ADSL2+ on their "own" network, thanks to LLU. Generally if you sign up on one of those you get better speeds, more reliable international AND national throughput, lower latency and less (if any) network jitter.
I'm unsure about the likes of Cable / Fibre connections, don't deal with them enough myself to be honest.

Have been thinking of switching to Adventure or even switch to Naked DSL and VOIP.
Haven't heard of anyone yet in the region who has been on an internet only plan.
I'm unsure of any ISP's who offer Naked in the Otago region, but I can safely say that as an Orcon customer on ADSL2+, there has never been a better ISP in terms of their line quality. Just don't bother with their helpdesk, it blows almost as bad as Xnet's...

I think this issue has more to do with them using telecom's lines in my area.
Bingo! Well close, generally Telecom oversubscribe their local exchanges pretty badly (Read: really badly!). There's too many people sharing a too small connection, and then shaping on YouTube etc happens, P2P, International traffic .. latency / pings starts getting higher, network jitter hits the roof... The list goes on :( Generally the likes of Orcon / Ihug, and even (where using their own network) TelstraClear have undeniably better ping times, anywhere, they're more reliable across the board in terms of national / international traffic throughput, and you don't get a crappy connection at peak times of the day.

I work in VoIP, its super-sensitive to both high latency and jitter (The fluxuation in times from one ping to the next), I've seen a *lot* of really crappy connections, and seen some insanely awesome ones too. My parents, and a friend from Church who both live within 300m of the local Exchange are prime examples:
With Xnet my parents would sync at the max line speed of ADSL1 (Coz thats the plan they were on, 128k upload, full down). Speedtest.net would frequently come back with 110KB/sec download speeds. This was consistent mostly, but a little better during the day. At night, don't even think about doing a VoIP call, ping times were all over the show, sometimes at 50ms, spiking up to 100ms the next, back down after that to 60 ...
Switched to an Unbundled ISP plan (Orcons Silver+) and they now sync at 16,000kbps and achieve speeds on speedtest.net of around 1.6MB/sec (Yes, MegaBYTES). Downloading from international sites, they can easily max out their connection at that speed also, and its reliable, day in, day out, 24/7.

Man I can go on a lot when I get going about a subject I'm passionate about ;)

</ranting>

mikebartnz
03-07-2009, 01:36 AM

I notice on my connection it is fast during the day and slows noticably during peak hours (4 till midnight), so they already throttle the unlimited go large plans.
They are not throttling it as it is the contention ratio that is doing that.
NZ Telecom = 1 / 148
UK = 1 / 50

Erayd
03-07-2009, 04:49 AM
WHAT!!! $250 You must be a company to even remotely use that much a month. Because thats insain!
He runs an internet cafe, so yes :).

Tuneznz
03-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Makes scene.

utopian201
03-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Why pay $60 and get dial-up speed.

If Go Large is anything to go by, it is far above dial up. Last night I did a speed test, ranged between 50 and 180kb/s international. On high speed sites, the suffocating 128k upload gets saturated. I think that happens at around 644kb/s. Still, not bad speeds considering theres unlimited.

No doubt its a *very* cheap way of doing that. I go through 40GB a month. Thing is you then get a ton of people complaining "Oh man, YouTube is slow, browsing isnt very fast during peak times either, I can't listen to internet radio, VoIP calls just don't work, same for Skype, and don't even think about video-calls over MSN", and they'll sign up unsuspecting people who simply just don't know any better, because it's an easy sales pitch to do.

Youtube on my connection is horribly slow, but webcam chat and skype works without a hitch.

If they keep the same service as Go Large, I think people who know they'll need it will appreciate it. People who won't know about it wont. Obviously it will be useless for people who don't go through a lot of data, but the best plan for those who do.

robsonde
03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I often do about 170GB a month, I would hate to do it at dial up speeds.

it would be nice if we could have a bit of each...
1Mbit and unlimited data.

but the way they have mad this plan they can give you less than dial up speed and you cant touch them.

wratterus
03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Exactly - the only difference between this and Go Large is they tell you up front that it's going to be horrible a lot of the time, instead of saying it's unleashed and unlimited.

Go Large was kind of like unleashing a turtle. It really didn't give a flying **** about it.

PCT Joe
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Bingo! Well close, generally Telecom oversubscribe their local exchanges pretty badly (Read: really badly!). There's too many people sharing a too small connection, and then shaping on YouTube etc happens, P2P, International traffic .. latency / pings starts getting higher, network jitter hits the roof... The list goes on :( Generally the likes of Orcon / Ihug, and even (where using their own network) TelstraClear have undeniably better ping times, anywhere, they're more reliable across the board in terms of national / international traffic throughput, and you don't get a crappy connection at peak times of the day.

We are situated less than 100m from the exchange, even for telecom this is a new low.

Heres a few speedtests i just did.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/509046377.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

~ REALLY GOOD

http://www.speedtest.net/result/509046768.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

~ REALLY GOOD

http://www.speedtest.net/result/509047380.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

~ GOOD.

Surprisingly these are really good, I suppose it was because I was about to have a rant. Murphy's law.

sroby
03-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Conspiracy theory follows:

Speed tests need to be run via an USA website to give a realistic result ?????

It would be possible for telecoms throttling to allow full speed on speedtest sites and throttle most other downloads.
What I used to see is the first (say) 5M of a large download came down pretty fast & then get throttled for the rest.
This would allow web sites to load fast, but allow throttling on big downloads

Now its just usually all really slow after 5pm, super fast during the day if Im at home.