PDA

View Full Version : Default Mail Program

linw
01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Has anyone had default mail program problems just recently? Friend with Vista used to have TBird come up with rt click/sendto/Mail Recipient but now it is coming up with Windows Mail. Checked mine (W7) and it is the same.

Now friend's Picasa has dropped TBird as an option under Email. Lists Windows Mail again. Re-setting TBird as default mail doesn't help. At least my Picasa still has TBird listed and it works!

Just wondered whether an update had been playing around with these mail program settings.

BTW, it is an exercise in frustration trying to get the Mail Recipient to use TBird. I spent a good while last night googling for a definitive answer and still got nowhere. It has to do with what the OS thinks is the current MAPI client. Several registry settings seem to be involved.

Meanwhile, I will keep googling!

Edit:- maybe TBird update 2.0.0.22 stuffed this. Just following up on this http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Picasa/thread?tid=33a293998442638f&hl=en

Speedy Gonzales
01-07-2009, 10:24 PM
So whats the question? You want TB to be the default email client? Try control panel / default programs / set your default programs. I had the same prob with Mail and OL 07. This was the only way I could fix it

I also had the same prob with OL 07 and OE, (in XP) OL kept on opening

linw
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
It's not just a default setting not set. Read the thread I added. Heaps of people have this problem and it occurred around 23 June with the TBird update. I am still reading the 108 posts and offshoots!

Sorry, looks like I got the wrong link in above post http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1313135

Speedy Gonzales
01-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Guess if it was an update that stuffed it, then they'll have to do another update to fix it. Or it may only affect Vista and not XP. According to one of the posts in that link. I take it, they've rebooted since the update was installed?

linw
02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
After fiddling around I have fixed my friend's and mine. I added the mapi dll path to his registry as it was missing. Still didn't work but somehow you have to trigger another prog as default and then re choose TB as default. Or something!! Anyway, whatever I did, both systems are working - for now!

It is registered as a Mozilla TB bug but no action so far.