PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch 3.0 Update

bigjasonmannor
01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I have upgraded my ipod touch 2nd gen to the 3.0 update,Some of my apps dont work. Has any one else updated?

Erayd
01-07-2009, 04:42 PM
I updated, and it completely destroyed my wifi. I've since gone back to 2.2.1 until Apple fixes it.

pctek
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Rule 1: Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Erayd
01-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Rule 1: Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

2.2.1 was broken - it was missing lots of features (like spotlight - quickgold is a poor-man's replacement for it, but it only goes so far), and bluetooth.

I generally follow rule 0: Upgrade, curse when it breaks, if I have the source fix it, if not downgrade.

autechre
02-07-2009, 10:30 AM
3.0.1 should be out fairly shortly which may or may not fix these issues. I had no problems on my 1st gen iphone.

Some of the apps may not be compatible though with 3.0, you may just need to wait until they're updated.

Chilling_Silence
02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Some of the apps are what requires updating, not the OS itself remember ...

I purchased an app, Darkroom, for helping you take better photos. It doesnt work in 3.0 however most other things do, and its *so* much faster, better memory management etc so its a small sacrifice to make until the author updates the app.

password
02-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I Upgraded and jailbroke 3.0 and i love it, Spotlight is so handy for finding songs, Alot of my apps still work!

Erayd
02-07-2009, 02:19 PM
3.0.1 should be out fairly shortly which may or may not fix these issues. I had no problems on my 1st gen iphone.

Some of the apps may not be compatible though with 3.0, you may just need to wait until they're updated.
I tried the 3.1 beta two days ago - it does not fix the issue.

Every Apple rep I've spoken to about the problem has fed me the same rubbish: "We aren't aware of any significant problem in this area, and as far as we can ascertain nobody else has complained about it." That's obviously a complete fabrication - one quick Google search will tell you that.

robbyp
02-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I updated, and it completely destroyed my wifi. I've since gone back to 2.2.1 until Apple fixes it.

It has done something to my wifi too, in that the wifi range has gone down a lot. Aprt from that, and a few more bugs in music playback and coverflow, it is working fine.Apps will also need updating to 3.0 versions.

robbyp
02-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I tried the 3.1 beta two days ago - it does not fix the issue.

Every Apple rep I've spoken to about the problem has fed me the same rubbish: "We aren't aware of any significant problem in this area, and as far as we can ascertain nobody else has complained about it." That's obviously a complete fabrication - one quick Google search will tell you that.

Honestly, speaking to people on these helpdesks is a waste of time. You are best to email them, as emails are often answered by techs. The people on the end of phones are often just drones reading the answer from a computer screen, but they often don't know much them selves, as they are often unskilled. That is how a lot of these call centres work.

Erayd
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Honestly, speaking to people on these helpdesks is a waste of time. You are best to email them, as emails are often answered by techs. The people on the end of phones are often just drones reading the answer from a computer screen, but they often don't know much them selves, as they are often unskilled. That is how a lot of these call centres work.

I was talking to techs, and my iPod also had a 1-week holiday with the Apple repair guys. No help.

What I dislike far more than the lack of a fix is that they won't even admit there is a problem, even when faced with pages and pages of search results that clearly show there is.

Chilling_Silence
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Really? Take it for repair under applecare warranty, show them its defective with 3.0, and they replace it within 2 hours.

Seriously :) None of this 1-week long garbage ;)

Erayd
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Really? Take it for repair under applecare warranty, show them its defective with 3.0, and they replace it within 2 hours.

Seriously :) None of this 1-week long garbage ;)I did, and they didn't, because "our warranty does not cover software problems."

Chilling_Silence
03-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Problems caused by the function of a network or cellular service or viruses or other
software problems introduced into the Covered Equipment
OK, *maybe*, but I'm sure you could argue the point on that one..

...Apple will provide technical support for the Covered Equipment, iPhone OS,
software applications that are pre-installed with the Covered Equipment (“iPhone Software”) and connectivity issues between the Covered Equipment and a supported computer, meaning a computer that meets the Covered Equipment’s connectivity specifications and runs an operating system that is supported by the Covered Equipment. Apple will provide support for the then-current version of the iPhone OS and iPhone Software, and the prior Major Release, but reserves the right to change the support it provides on any previous versions at any time. For purposes of this section, “Major Release” means a significant version of software that is commercially released by Apple in a release number format such as “1.0” or “2.0” and which is not in beta or pre-release form...
Well I'm pretty certain 3.0 is a "Major Release" version ;)

Technical Support. Plan does not cover ... Apple software other than the iPhone OS or iPhone Software, as covered under the Plan;

Your Responsibilities ...Update software to currently published releases prior to seeking service.

Go on ... You know you wanna have some fun with the poor "rep" who answers the phone ;)

.... I just realized that was for iPhone, not iTouch. Same diff, but it might be covered under this:
http://images.apple.com/support/applecare/pdfs/asiapac/ipod/2A034-3742.pdf
If not, then here's the iPhone one:
http://images.apple.com/support/applecare/pdfs/asiapac/iphone/2A034-5000-B.pdf

You're covered for 1 year under the initial warranty: http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareiphone.html

beeswax34
03-07-2009, 03:01 PM
What happened to "It just works"?