PDA

View Full Version : Wireless link - password required

Scouse
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Morning folks.
Running Vista Home Premium and IE8 on one machine and XP with IE7 on another. Both are connected by cable to the Xtra-supplied Thomson 673F61 modem and work well.
Granddaughter arrives to stay a while and wants to link her Dell laptop by wireless to the Thomson, which has a wireless on/off button.
She gets a dialogue box which identifies the Thomson, says that it it connecting to, etc., but asks for a Security Key or Passphrase.
As far as I can recall, the box never had a password or security key and I can't find any trace of same.
Any help or advice appreciated.

Blam
01-07-2009, 10:57 AM
On a PC connected via wire to the router:

Open up command prompt(run>cmd)

Then type in ipconfig and hit enter.

Note down the default gateway and type it into your browser.

Hit enter, and type admin for username and nothing for password. If that doesn't work try admin for password.

Once you're in the router config panel, go to wireless and set your wireless key. Suggest you use WPA over WEP and it is much stronger.

Blam

Scouse
01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Blam. Thanks for promt reply. When I type in ipconfig I get an extremely quick response on screen - too fast to attempt to read - and its gone. Any clues?

OOPS - belay that - got it thanks.

Blam
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Type it into command prompt, and not run(run>cmd)

wratterus
01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Did you type ipconfig into the run box or the command prompt? You need to type it into the command prompt, type cmd into the run box.

Edit - Sorry Blam, I'll leave ya to it. ;)