PDA

View Full Version : Strange external HDD behavior

Faded_Mantis
29-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I have an external HDD with a USB2 plug. The actual HDD inside it is a WD IDE (from memory).

The HDD transfers at the speeds you would expect when plugged into most computers (Mine plus various friends ones, a mix of sidux (linux), XP and Vista). However there is a problem with 2 computers I've tried.

Both run Vista, one is the guys personal computer, and the other is their flat's server. When I plug my HDD into them it says "This device would perform faster if plugged into a high speed USB port" and transfers at 1mB/s (USB1), however the ports are known to be USB2, and they work fine with other external HDD's.

Has anyone come across this issue? Is there a known problem or work around?

Agent_24
29-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Some kind of problem between that particular USB controller, its driver, possibly Vista and the USB-IDE bridge in your external HDD case?

Are you using a USB 2.0 compatible cable?

If you know what hardware you've got it might be possible to find any known problems.

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2009, 10:38 PM
See if the option for USB 2 in the BIOS is on hi speed, not full speed (which is 1.1 ). What service packs are on it ?? SP1+ for XP and Vista? Altho dont think this is the prob, since it works fine with other hdd's

Faded_Mantis
29-06-2009, 11:48 PM
@ Agent_24 - Yes it's a USB2 complient cable. I'm guessing this because it goes many times faster in a USB2 port than a USB1.1port.

@ Speedy Gonzales - I don't have access to the 2 computers atm, but I'll ask my friend to check them. I'll also ask them which SP is installed on the 2 vista computers. I believe they are running different versions of Vista, the server is Business edition, but I can't remember what the other one is running. I can't tell you the exact SP's for the other computers because that covers 8-10 different computers over the last 1 1/2 years.

I can give the details of some of them however. Several versions of XP SP2, and mine on SP3, Sidux using KDE4.2 and kernel 2.6.27/2.6.28. Vista with no SP and with SP1 on one of the computers, the other was Vista SP1. There are some I can't remember, and as I mentioned above, I won't be able to get the SP of the 2 problematic computers for a day or two.

pctek
30-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Both run Vista it says "This device would perform faster if plugged into a high speed USB port" and transfers at 1mB/s (USB1),

Remove it and let it detect it again and it sorts it.

Blam
30-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Right Click the USB controller>uninstall

Then reboot