PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot system...

ahd8888
29-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi, all. I have a problem to delete the unwanted boot system on my PC. C drive is the original copy of Wins XP (Bad), I also got another version of Wins XP (Good) on D drive. I managed to set it to boot only from D drive. Now I am trying to get rid of the bad copy of WIns Xp which is on c Drive. It won't let me format c drive when I am on D Drive. On Disk Management, it say c drive is system and d drive is boot. Anyone can help ? Thanks in advance.

ZapperBoy10647
29-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Try get a copy of ubuntu and you can do it through the setup without having to install ubuntu, otherwise you should get gparted(thats what ubuntu uses)

ahd8888
29-06-2009, 05:33 PM
:thanks I wanted to remove c: drive, not try to install another operating system.

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2009, 05:43 PM
You'll have to copy boot.ini from C to D. Then delete the first part of boot.ini (the part, which points to C). Then boot from D, then format C.

ahd8888
29-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I can't boot from c drive anymore. It is a bad copy. I tried to search boot.ini in C drive from D drive, but no result. Sorry, I am a bit lost about your instruction?

pcuser42
29-06-2009, 06:16 PM
The reason you can't format C: is because Windows XP always puts boot information (e.g. boot.ini) on the first partition (drive C:). You'll have to delete the partition form (say) GParted and then do a repair install.

Speedy Gonzales
29-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Oops no forget the boot.ini on C. On D, press the windows key (if the keyboard has one) + pause / advanced / Startup and recovery / settings, click on edit up the top, then remove the reference to C here then save, then reboot. Make sure you delete the right part, or you may not get into windows

pcuser42
29-06-2009, 06:18 PM
He still won't then be able to format C:. Like I said, the boot.ini is always on C:. :)

ahd8888
29-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Sorry, I still have problem to follow thru. Can u pls kindly give a clear instruction... I am clearly not as expert as u all. I did a search of boot.ini on c drive from D drive, but nothing come out. Where is boot.ini on c drive?

GameJunkie
29-06-2009, 06:43 PM
why not format the drive then do a clean reinstall of xp?

pcuser42
29-06-2009, 06:47 PM
First backup your data.

Next download GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) and burn it to a CD. Boot from that CD. Just accept the default settings.

Then delete the first partition (it should be drive C: in Windows) and extend the other partition to fill the space.

Lastly boot from your XP CD, and proceed as if installing a new copy (F8 to accept licence, etc.). When it says that it has found a version of Windows, it will offer to repair it - do so. If you get to the part where it wants to format, you'll have to do a clean install.

Then all should be fine. :)

Blam
29-06-2009, 08:24 PM
pcuserwinvista's method is the way to go, delete the partition in gparted and extend.

If you can, I highly suggest you backup your data, make an image of the partition if you can, as partition the drive is known to cause possible system corruption.

Also, you may not necessarily need to perform a repair install after you partition the drives.

You should just be able boot from your XP CD and perform a boocfg /rebuild, here are instructions on RC:

# Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
# When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
# If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
# When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.

Once you're at the command prompt type bootcfg /rebuild to start the rebuild process.

When it prompts for the properly identified systems, type Y and hit enter

It'll then ask you to type a load identifier. This is the name of the operating system for the boot.ini. For example, Microsoft Windows XP Home users would enter "Microsoft Windows XP Home edition".

It'll then ask you to enter OS load options. When this prompt is received type /fastdetect to automatically detect the available options

If you do not have a XP CD handy, you can use this, which is RC on a CD:
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/rc.iso

Cheers
Blam

Bryan
30-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Blam6.

Will your method of bootcfg /rebuild also correct a ntldr problem?

Blam
30-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Should do:)

Usually you don't need to even type it into command prompt, startup repair should fix it. But if its doesn't you'll need to run the commands in manually

bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /fixmbr and boocfg /rebuild

Blam

Bryan
30-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Blam6.

I have followed your instructions and need to report that the ntldr did not update.

Blam
30-06-2009, 02:57 PM
What is the error on boot.

NLTDR is missing?

Bryan
30-06-2009, 03:27 PM
NTLDR is the wrong one. I've updated a little while ago to SP3 and I think that the original disk has an older version so won't update using the usual method of using R and then copying i386\ntldr c:\.

I've decided that it isn't that important as I am running Vista and have almost made my mind up to go to Win 7 when it is released but it would be nice to know how to!

Blam
30-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Not sure then..google is your friend;)

GingerBeard
30-06-2009, 06:56 PM
The easiest way is to install *nix and then Windows after. Just make sure you leave enough space for Windows when you do the initial install.