PDA

View Full Version : TVNZ 6 & 7 Off To Sky

Hitech
29-06-2009, 11:31 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/2547185/TVNZ6-7-heading-to-Sky-TV

Marnie
29-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Am I being too optimistic in hoping that might mean Prime may be available via Freeview soon?

wratterus
29-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Yep. :(

Hitech
29-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Not in our lifetime sky are to tight to share that channel not sure why.

CYaBro
29-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Am I being too optimistic in hoping that might mean Prime may be available via Freeview soon?

They probably will now that I just paid $145 for a Prime only installation last week :horrified

Trev
29-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Not HD unless you have Mysky which I think is a rip off. I get TVNZ 6 and 7 on Freeview HD already.
Just as a side note, TV1 had live broadcast of the Indy Car race yesterday which was also on Skys ESPN. I was watching it on Freeview HD and switched over to ESPN and the quality was terrible. They show you the positions of the cars at the top of the screen and on ESPN you could hardly read it because it was so blurry, but on Freeview it was crisp and clear.
:)

Hitech
29-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Espn's signal has never been very clear yet the other sky sport channels are fine i think espn doesnt have as much bandwidth as the sky sport channels also, hence the crappy pics on espn.

wratterus
29-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I noticed that Sky Sport 2 looked gawd awful for the Warriors game, when the ABs were playing. Looks like Sky scheme bandwidth all over the place, depending on what's on.

davidmmac
29-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Espn's signal has never been very clear yet the other sky sport channels are fine i think espn doesnt have as much bandwidth as the sky sport channels also, hence the crappy pics on espn.

I contacted Sky about 10 months ago regarding the quality of the picture on ESPN (mainly regarding football matches) and this was there response:

Thank you for your email.

The feed we receive via ESPN is sent down different channels and different providers and therefore would appear poor to the coverage we purchase from suppliers as this would not go through all these channels or changes before being telecast. ESPN also transmits in NSTC where as SKY transmits in PAL.

Please feel free to contact SKY Television Customer Services on 0800 759 759 for further information, alternatively please respond via return email and we will endeavour to reply within 24 hours.

With kind regards,

(Name of representative here)

:groan:

paulw
30-06-2009, 09:31 AM
" ESPN also transmits in NSTC where as SKY transmits in PAL."

What a cop out.. ESPN transmits most of it's stuff in HD and ATSC.. NTSC died earlier this month..

Metla
30-06-2009, 09:36 AM
The family and current affairs channels have only been broadcast to the 12 per cent of households that have bought Freeview set-top boxes, but will reach nearly 60 per cent of households once they are available on Sky

Now, I know Sky is pretty crap, and very poor value for money, But how many of those households that pay for Sky TV to get away from the crap on normal TV do these twats think are going to choose any of the poor efforts on TV6 and TV7 over their paid content?

How about.................none.

Hitech
30-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Speaking of that have sky put tv6 and 7 on yet for a test transmission or will they leve it to the last minute as usual,Id check it out myself aprt from the fact im recording a sky channel at the moment.

Hitech
30-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Seems to me sky want everything there way after this latest article.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10581511

Chilling_Silence
30-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Why not make arrangements with ISPs? Orcon offers me unlimited access to the TVNZ OnDemand website and it doesn't count towards my data cap :D

My fiance loves it, if she misses Shortland Street, just jump online later that night and view at her leisure. No worrying about taping shows ...

ubergeek85
30-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I think sky might be planning something like that. They already offer subscribers (for an extra $5/mo) the option to stream some content online (albeit DRM'd to the hilt), and the official word is that the i in MySki HDi is for 'internet', ie streaming content.

Knowing sky, it'll always be about 6 months away.

Someone at NDS needs to leak some documents of the encryption type.

GingerBeard
30-06-2009, 06:57 PM
That and we all have NTSC capable TV's, right?

Cop out indeed.

Hitech
30-06-2009, 09:10 PM
If you look two posts above and look at mine you will see a blue link pasted there it's about sky canning the $5 online on demand due to people complaining about blowing there monthly data caps.