PDA

View Full Version : Problem Backing up Outlook Personal Folders

smurf
28-06-2009, 04:28 PM
When trying to action a backup of Outlook Personal Folders, I get a dialogue box appearing:
Error Copying File or Folder

Cannot copy Outlook 1: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

I have nothing open when this happens. The process attempts the backup when Outlook has closed.

What is the problem and how can I sort it out? Thanks.

Chikara
28-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm assuming this is through the MS backup personal folders add-in you can install for Outlook?

If it is, mine does the same thing - I close Outlook, it prompts me to save the backup and I get the same message.
But I find if I wait 10 or 20 seconds or so before clicking yes to Backup, it works fine. I guess that Outlook takes a while to fully close down and save all the files, even after the backup window comes up. So, just waiting a bit longer before trying it, always solves the problem for me.

smurf
28-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks Chikara. I tried that but it still produced the same error msg and failed to backup.

Chikara
28-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Hmmm...what about if you try and leaving it for longer, maybe a minute? I know you don't want do that all the time, but at least it could prove that it's just Outlook closing down that keeps the file locked, rather than another application.
My outlook data file is about 140MB in size, and I've an old PC - an Athlon 1400.

The size of the data file, and gruntiness of your PC could affect it too. Bigger data file, older PC will probably take longer for OUtlook to close and 'free up' the file to make the backup copy.
As it's the Outlook data file that is locked, I'd be 90% sure it's Outlook itself locking it, rather than any other applications.
I'm trying Win 7 RC as a dual boot,l and when I try the same thing on there, at least it gives me a message saying the file is locked and to try again..eventually, it works. With XP, I just get the same error as you and no second chance to try it!

smurf
28-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I left it for sometime (about 15mins) and yet the same result...no go. File is not that large and the computer is quite fast.

somebody
28-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I left it for sometime (about 15mins) and yet the same result...no go. File is not that large and the computer is quite fast.

Do you have any other programs that might rely on Outlook's data file (for example, calendar notification gadgets/widgets and so on)?

smurf
28-06-2009, 07:34 PM
My IPAQ is the only gadget connected to the computer with an autosync function....would that be the culprit??

smurf
28-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Thank you.....somebody...it sure was......disconnected it and the backup worked. :thanks

somebody
28-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Thank you.....somebody...it sure was......disconnected it and the backup worked. :thanks

Great to hear!