PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem

qazwsxokmijn
28-06-2009, 03:35 PM
So I installed 64 bit Vista on my new WD 640GB HDD in my old case. Once I've had everything installed (drivers, programs etc) and the HDD boots normally, then I turned everything off and transferred my entire PC to the new case. The HDD meanwhile was stored inside an anti-static bag awaiting its installation.

So, once everything was setup, I turned the PC on, the 640GB HDD detected by BIOS, then voila....."Reboot and select a proper boot device" and under that was "or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Now, when I tried to do a repair using the Vista CD the operating system on the HDD was not detected so I cannot do a repair. However all my data in the HDD are all intact. Why does for some reason the BIOS thinks the HDD is not a 'proper boot device'?

I've tried changing the cables, unplugging the SATA DVD-Drive first, etc, etc to no avail.

Googling around didn't help me - right now I'm running WDLifeguard to check for any bad sectors on the HDD. Anyone have any idea??

Blam
28-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Perform a chkdsk. After that it should see the windows installation

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Make sure its the bootdisk in the BIOS

qazwsxokmijn
28-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Chkdsk using th commandprompt through the Vista CD blam?

And yeah, Speedy, the HDD is the boot disk I specified in the BIOS.

Blam
28-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Yep, had this problem when someones PC the other day. Chkdsk>startup repair twice

Speedy Gonzales
28-06-2009, 04:05 PM
WHAT SATA connection is the hdd and cd / dvd plugged into?? Sometimes it makes a diff. As some ports are for hdd's / others are for cd's. And HOW is the power to it connected?? From a molex adapter, or a connection from the PSU?

qazwsxokmijn
28-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Yep, had this problem when someones PC the other day. Chkdsk>startup repair twice
Is 'chkdsk' all I need to enter into the comman prompt?

WHAT SATA connection is the hdd and cd / dvd plugged into?? Sometimes it makes a diff. As some ports are for hdd's / others are for cd's
HDD is plugged into SATA 1, DVD-Drive into SATA 2. It's always been like that - and I've tried swapping them around.

Blam
28-06-2009, 04:25 PM
chkdsk X: /f

Replace X with your System drive letter with vista installed on

qazwsxokmijn
28-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Ah, cheers blam, chkdsk seems to have done the trick. :)

Should be proud of your 4.8k posts. Though compared to Speedy's 24k+.....:p you his apprentice or something?

Though one question remains - how did the data get somehow damaged when I transferred the HDD to a different case?