PDA

View Full Version : Network Timeout

LarsJohann
28-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Hello, i am trying to set up a website through Apache and i am using a DynsDNS address. I have forwarded my ports so that Apache can function and i can connect to the website through my DynsDNS address on my computer. However, whenever other peoples try to access the website, they get a Network Timeout error. Anyone know why?

Sweep
28-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I can't help but some info in here might.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=100851&highlight=DynDNS

Blam
28-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Have you forwarded the ports yet?

CYaBro
28-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Go to www.canyouseeme.org and test the ports that you need open and make sure that they are actually working from the internet.

Erayd
28-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello, i am trying to set up a website through Apache and i am using a DynsDNS address. I have forwarded my ports so that Apache can function and i can connect to the website through my DynsDNS address on my computer. However, whenever other peoples try to access the website, they get a Network Timeout error. Anyone know why?
Generally if they're getting a timeout, it can be occurring in one of four places.

The first (and most likely) is that you haven't set up port-forwarding correctly. As a result, your router is dropping all the packets, and as far as the client trying to connect can see, nothing is happening. Once it gets tired of waiting for a reply, it fails with a timeout error.

The second possibility is the firewall on the system you are serving the page from is misconfigured, and is dropping the packets. Symptoms are largely identical to the above.

The third option is a misconfigured DynDNS setup. If you go to http://whatismyip.com/, does the reported IP match what your domain is currently set to? If your IP isn't being correctly resolved, they will be trying to contact one of your ISPs other customers, who most likely doesn't have a webserver running!

The fourth possible location for a timeout is the webserver itself, occurring after the connection has been made and the client has sent a request, but before the response is sent. This generally happens when a badly written script takes too long to run. Often, the server is smart enough to figure this out on its own and will give you a more detailed error message explaining the problem, but this isn't always the case.

If you're not using dynamic scripts / webapps or CGI programs, this will not be your problem. Even if you are, it's unlikely - investigate the top three first.

LarsJohann
29-06-2009, 10:25 AM
ok so i went to www.canyouseeme.com and i checked port 80, well it gives me this error :

Error: I could not see your service on 24.215.29.64 on port (80)
Reason: Connection timed out

Yes i do have the port forwarded on my router at the correct local ip address and i do have Apache initalised. I do not understand why this is happening and this could be the source of my problem.

Blam
29-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Its obviously not forwarded properly...try again..

CYaBro
29-06-2009, 11:28 AM
You may also need to change the port the your router web config is on as this will be using port 80 at the moment.

LarsJohann
29-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Ok i think it's because i tried to forward the port in Virtual Server instead of Port Forwarding.

LarsJohann
29-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Ok, here's a picture of my Virtual Server page and Port Forward page on my D-Link WBR-2310 router.

Virtual Server page: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?c18afe5e50.jpg

Port Forward page: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?ca22c1b7ae.jpg

You'll notice that i have forwarded both port 80 and 443 which are both ports portforward.com recommend i forward while using Apache. And peoples who try to connect to my website still get a network timeout error. And also could someone explain to me what CYabro means?

Regards,

Lars.

CYaBro
29-06-2009, 02:13 PM
How are you connecting to the internet?
If you are using ADSL then you will need to do the port forwarding in the ADSL router. (Don't think that D-Link is the ADSL router as well???)

LarsJohann
30-06-2009, 02:52 AM
I'm connected through the internet through a Modem after the router.

CYaBro
30-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Ah well in that case it gets a bit more tricky if you have the modem connected to the WAN port on the router.
You need to do the port forwarding on both the router and the modem then.
On the modem the ports will forward to the routers WAN IP address.
The other option is to put the routers WAN IP in the DMZ setting on the modem then just do the port forwarding in the router as you have been.

LarsJohann
30-06-2009, 09:35 AM
How do i port forward inside my modem?

Speedy Gonzales
30-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Buy a modem/router. It'll make things a LOT easier

LarsJohann
30-06-2009, 09:50 AM
But if i was to, how do i port forward my modem?